Death and meaning of life

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Death and meaning of life

Post by attofishpi »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:16 am
Could you tell more about your meaning of life?

Do you believe in immortality yourself?
Zarathustra, you are asking the wrong people about this: Sculptor, Harbal are hardcore atheists!

Me on the other hand, I have hardcore gnosis (since 1997)..and I believe some sort of intelligence, such as God is required for anything close to "immortality", which I think has limitation per entropy. Would you consider being able to live for 1 billion years as being 'immortal'?

Have a look at these links:-
https://www.androcies.com/DivineEtymology.php

Read the entire OP of this one:- viewtopic.php?t=33214
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:01 am

Zarathustra, you are asking the wrong people about this: Sculptor, Harbal are hardcore atheists!

Me on the other hand, I have hardcore gnosis (since 1997)..and I believe some sort of intelligence, such as God is required for anything close to "immortality", which I think has limitation per entropy. Would you consider being able to live for 1 billion years as being 'immortal'?

I didn't ask them directly, rather they came along and responded to my OP.

Interesting you are into gnosis. I have been reading on Kabbalah, Golden Dawn and Philosophy of Magic in the past. Well quite a while ago actually, but I still recall some of them even now. I don't know much about gnosis but it might have something to do with the ancient christianity sector, rituals and GD?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Zarathustra wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:12 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:43 pm
Zarathustra wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:06 pm I realised almost all the authors of my philosophical books have died.
If death is for definite end of all the livings, then is there meaning in life?
How do you define death, and meaning of life?
To answer Zarathustra's spake:

- Death delineates the end of a bardo*.
- The purpose of life is to live out the processes of life, and only fancifully separating the concepts of life and living makes that purpose circular.

* Think about it. A bardo is an intermediate state of existence, as is this forum, as is this form.
I have never read Zarathustra, and don't know anything about him. I don't recall how my ID in this forum became Zarathustra either.
Anyway, are we living life, or rather life lives on us? Are we free to make any changes? Is everything determined?
Never-the-less, you are now responsible for the name.

- The future exists in imagination.
- The past exists in memory and imagination.
- Memory and imagination exist in the present, but only as memory and imagination.
- Reality only exists in the perpetual present.

- In reality, everyone is free to do what must be done.
- What must be done is defined by action, which includes purposeful inaction.
- Mental machinations leading up to action do not define what must be done, are often called choice, and sometimes don't correspond to actions, especially with a cherry pie and whipped cream calling out your name from the pantry.

- Even if you're a slave in shackles, you are free to do what must be done. In fact, what must be done is more obvious.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:58 am

Interesting you are into gnosis. I have been reading on Kabbalah, Golden Dawn and Philosophy of Magic in the past. Well quite a while ago actually, but I still recall some of them even now. I don't know much about gnosis but it might have something to do with the ancient christianity sector, rituals and GD?
All I mean by gnosis, is having knowledge of God (that IT exists)
seeds

Post by seeds »

Harbal wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:08 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:50 pm
Harbal wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:45 pm

No, most of them would probably have died from something else.
Ice cream of course, but what about all the more ridiculous ailments philosophers suffer from, such as slow book worm disease and the like.
We know that Nietzsche's philosophy had a very detrimental effect on his health, but it was his moustache that finished him off when it finally suffocated him. So things are often not straight forward.
That wasn't a moustache. Rumor is that it was a guinea pig,...

...and that something went horribly awry with the mechanism that attached it to his upper lip.

Either that, or it was a tribble. And you know what trouble they can be, right?
_______
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Zarathustra wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:06 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:57 pm
Zarathustra wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:36 pm

As the OP, I was totally open minded on the issue of immortality.
If one believed in it, I wanted to see on what grounds and evidence one came to the belief.
If one doesn't, then I wanted to see what brought the belief to the person.
And if possible to come to such a point as to therefore how we should live what's left for us.
Are you deliberately avoiding the question or do you not undertand what I am asking?
Why do you interpret being open minded as "deliberately avoiding the questions or not understanding your question"?
Is it not some sort of linguistic distortion?
Are you deliberately avoiding the question or do you not understand what I am asking?
nemos

Post by nemos »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:22 am Can religion do anything about it? ... Even the most successful and powerful people seem suddenly die, and depart from this world without ever coming back. So what was the meaning of their hard work for the success?
Religion ...
Not for me specifically. But it helps many, maybe it can help you too. The way I see it, it's a way of coming to terms with the idea that you're expendable material for someone else's purpose, and hoping for favors, maybe even after death, for a good job. There are many ways to distract from death that people have devised, and religion is one of them. The definition of "eternal life" depends on how it is understood. Religion only promises this to the "soul", whatever that is. Do you have a soul? And if there is, how did you make sure of it?

Like I said, it all depends on your faith and how you interpret it.
I think that all outstanding achievements have arisen from the desire and efforts of specific people to approach or even touch the divine. Does it make any sense? I believe that there is, maybe not for a specific person, but for the universe does.

About powerful people ...
Strong compared to what? With you, maybe, but in front of the forces of nature? ... an ant remains an ant, no matter how strong it is.
But understanding the meaning of their work still depends on the point from which you look at it. Perhaps work is also just a way not to think about death.
All power and wisdom is relative. There are no wise people in absolute terms, there are only those who think they are.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:56 am

I see. Gnosis is also a religious belief, sector and school. :roll:
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:03 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:57 pm

Are you deliberately avoiding the question or do you not undertand what I am asking?
Why do you interpret being open minded as "deliberately avoiding the questions or not understanding your question"?
Are you deliberately avoiding the question or do you not understand what I am asking?
You have not answered to my question.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:11 pm

U fukin post an emoti rolling ya eyes at me (when I have attempted to point yer quest_ions in the right direction) u fukin imbecile.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:06 am
Zarathustra wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:22 am Can religion do anything about it? ... Even the most successful and powerful people seem suddenly die, and depart from this world without ever coming back. So what was the meaning of their hard work for the success?
Religion ...
Not for me specifically. But it helps many, maybe it can help you too. The way I see it, it's a way of coming to terms with the idea that you're expendable material for someone else's purpose, and hoping for favors, maybe even after death, for a good job. There are many ways to distract from death that people have devised, and religion is one of them. The definition of "eternal life" depends on how it is understood. Religion only promises this to the "soul", whatever that is. Do you have a soul? And if there is, how did you make sure of it?

Like I said, it all depends on your faith and how you interpret it.
I think that all outstanding achievements have arisen from the desire and efforts of specific people to approach or even touch the divine. Does it make any sense? I believe that there is, maybe not for a specific person, but for the universe does.

About powerful people ...
Strong compared to what? With you, maybe, but in front of the forces of nature? ... an ant remains an ant, no matter how strong it is.
But understanding the meaning of their work still depends on the point from which you look at it. Perhaps work is also just a way not to think about death.
All power and wisdom is relative. There are no wise people in absolute terms, there are only those who think they are.
I don't see religion would save anyone. But some people seem to get intoxicated in it. Perhaps numbing their senses or rationality?
Strong and powerful people? I mean the people in authority, high positions in the governments, the renowned people in academic fields and institutions etc - they look as if they are going to go on forever, but they all die and fade away too. Perhaps their fear of death could be far worse than the normal ordinary people, because they have more to lose after their demise from the world?
So maybe it is better being just normal ordinary people having less to lose in the end. Maybe this view can also be classed as relative. Anyhow that is why Buddhists inculcate to gove up all your possessions and desires, and retreat to the mountains preparing for the end days of their lives? So the monks could get hold of all your given up possessions, and keep them for their feasts? :roll:
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:18 pm

U fukin post an emoti rolling ya eyes at me (when I have attempted to point yer quest_ions in the right direction) u fukin imbecile.
No need to swear. Your committing yourself into the sewage :(
I can swear to you as bad as anyone, but I wouldn't do that in public mate. Wake up.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:26 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:18 pm

No need to swear. Your committing yourself into the sewage :(
I can swear to you as bad as anyone, but I wouldn't do that in public mate. Wake up.
Ya, ive sussed U.

Je_sus
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:13 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:03 am

You have not answered to my question.
That is a pretty lame response from a person that has failed to answer questions himself.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Zarathustra wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:25 pm ... So the monks could get hold of all your given up possessions, and keep them for their feasts? :roll:
Oh, is it really true that those who do not even have property to leave to the monks, do not even have the opportunity to go naked in the mountains? :?