The USA and Israel

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

phyllo

The USA and Israel

Post by phyllo »

Biden can say at any time :

"You got your pound of flesh, now stop or your billions of dollars of aid is ended"

Why doesn't he say it?
Flannel Jesus

Re: The USA and Israel

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Do you have a reason in mind?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

No. I have some possible unreasonable reasons.

There are no longer any ethics left?

Everything is entertainment?

Nothing is real? It's a video game, it's AI, it's fake.

It's all according to plan?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Perhaps I can naively suggest that the considerations that go into deciding whether to make a statement like that are complex, and there's information we people who aren't at the top of politics don't have access to.

That being said, of course Biden is a biased human being who is surrounded by other biased human beings, so I wouldn't like to guess at why he does what he does and doesn't do other things instead regarding Israel. I think his administration has at least vocally tried to promote moderation in military action in Gaza, but I also don't think the administration has put any teeth behind those suggestions. I imagine there are a lot of complicated factors at play.

Or maybe he's just evil? Who knows
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

like any politician, he is making a political calculation....
which policy will get more votes... or at least hurt him less.....
for a politician, everything has a political tinge to it....
even an idiotic war like this...

why is this an idiotic war, Kropotkin?
what is the end game for either side?
doesn't seem to be one for either side...
and that's the problem...

Kropotkin 
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

like any politician, he is making a political calculation....
which policy will get more votes... or at least hurt him less.....
for a politician, everything has a political tinge to it....
even an idiotic war like this...
If that's the case, then he and others in the administration and the Democrat party, think that American voters prefer civilians being killed in Gaza over restraining Israel.
why is this an idiotic war, Kropotkin?
what is the end game for either side?
doesn't seem to be one for either side...
and that's the problem...
The endgames are not hard to see.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:43 pm Perhaps I can naively suggest that the considerations that go into deciding whether to make a statement like that are complex, and there's information we people who aren't at the top of politics don't have access to.

That being said, of course Biden is a biased human being who is surrounded by other biased human beings, so I wouldn't like to guess at why he does what he does and doesn't do other things instead regarding Israel. I think his administration has at least vocally tried to promote moderation in military action in Gaza, but I also don't think the administration has put any teeth behind those suggestions. I imagine there are a lot of complicated factors at play.

Or maybe he's just evil? Who knows
Well, Biden is the talking head at the top. But unconditional support for Israel seems to be the norm in the US.

Let's keep the E-word out of this. :wink:
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Israel will soon engage Iran directly and Biden will not have to get his hands dirty

when Trump wins, Iran, China and Russia will find they woke the sleeping bear

an attempt at limited nuclear exchange will escalate global warming

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

phyllo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:47 pm Biden can say at any time :

"You got your pound of flesh, now stop or your billions of dollars of aid is ended"

Why doesn't he say it?
I've heard that the investment in Israel is a fraction of the unaccountable money given to Ukraine. It's also a fraction of the money made available to Iran by the Biden administration ignoring sanctions against Iran meant to starve their nuclear ambitions. Biden has also enriched Iran by crippling US oil production.

I've heard that originally, the aid that the US gives to Israel is used by Israel for research and development, and Israel then shares the benefits with the US, free of charge. Win-win for the alliance of the two countries.

Netanyahu said that years ago he realized that Israel would need lots of money for expensive, sophisticated defense systems, so national attention was turned towards technology.

That would be something for the fact checkers to research, although I see no reason to doubt the statement.

Besides, doing an "Opposite George," is the prudent Biden path for We The People, since he is notoriously clueless when it comes to foreign policy, and he should do the opposite of what he thinks he should do, to do the right thing.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Why doesn't he say it?
Because the corrupt establishment, both Democrat and Rhino Republican, needs wars. War is how they launder your tax dollars into kickbacks. If they're not killing Afghanis and Ukrainians to do it, they'll be killing Jews and Arabs to do it. But they need to be doing it, or the money-flow stops.

Wars turn "aid" dollars into military equipment and explosives...all of which are perishable and impossible for accountants to track. Then the military-industrial complex feeds dollars back to the politicians that support the wars. They all win, and we all lose. But without a war, the grift becomes obvious, and laundering their ill-gotten tax gains becomes impossible.

Expect wars. They like them.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Walker wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:22 pm

Why doesn't he say it?
I've heard that the investment in Israel is a fraction of the unaccountable money given to Ukraine. It's also a fraction of the money made available to Iran by the Biden administration ignoring sanctions against Iran meant to starve their nuclear ambitions. Biden has also enriched Iran by crippling US oil production.

I've heard that originally, the aid that the US gives to Israel is used by Israel for research and development, and Israel then shares the benefits with the US, free of charge. Win-win for the alliance of the two countries.

Netanyahu said that years ago he realized that Israel would need lots of money for expensive, sophisticated defense systems, so national attention was turned towards technology.

That would be something for the fact checkers to research, although I see no reason to doubt the statement.

Besides, doing an "Opposite George," is the prudent Biden path for We The People, since he is notoriously clueless when it comes to foreign policy, and he should do the opposite of what he thinks he should do, to do the right thing.
Ah

Whataboutism.

It's a win-win so who cares about Palestinian civilians. That's an answer.

And an attack on Joe.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:30 pm

Why doesn't he say it?
Because the corrupt establishment, both Democrat and Rhino Republican, needs wars. War is how they launder your tax dollars into kickbacks. If they're not killing Afghanis and Ukrainians to do it, they'll be killing Jews and Arabs to do it. But they need to be doing it, or the money-flow stops.

Wars turn "aid" dollars into military equipment and explosives...all of which are perishable and impossible for accountants to track. Then the military-industrial complex feeds dollars back to the politicians that support the wars. They all win, and we all lose. But without a war, the grift becomes obvious, and laundering their ill-gotten tax gains becomes impossible.

I take it that means, the US ought to be pressuring Israel to stop.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

phyllo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:46 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:30 pm

Why doesn't he say it?

I take it that means, the US ought to be pressuring Israel to stop.
Hamas is pressuring Israel to continue, and has them in a vice. If they stop, Hamas massacres them again; if they continue, then they look really bad on the world stage. It's very clever and very sinister; and the pawns, of course, are the innocent Jews and Palestinians Hamas is murdering, using as human shields, and otherwise arranging to get killed so their evil PR campaign can persist.

The only way to stop it is to stop Hamas. Hamas is the thing that's keeping the war going. They started it, and they're orchestrating it. It will end when Hamas ends, obviously. But Hamas will not let it end any earlier...that much, they've already declared.
Walker

Post by Walker »

phyllo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:44 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:22 pm

Why doesn't he say it?

Ah

Whataboutism.

It's a win-win so who cares about Palestinian civilians. That's an answer.

And an attack on Joe.
Your question was about the political relationship between the US and Israel. It is a cooperative relationship, to an extent. The US has its reasons for not isolating Israel as an ally, I simply provided one.

The US cares enough about the civilians to pressure Israel into cease-fires, during which time the supplies of Hamas are replenished at the expense of the civilians that Hamas does not care about.

Israel cares enough to warn civilians of targets to avoid.

Israel and US are the only two entities that care about the civilians in Gaza ... even though reports indicate that the citizens overwhelmingly support Hamas and the philosophy of genocide against Jews.

The problem is, US interference prolongs the war and causes more deaths on both sides, which is just cause to criticize Sleepy Joe.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Just to put a bit of perspective on this :
From 2008 till September 2023, 6,407 Palestinians were recorded to have been killed, more than half through missile attacks. During the same period, the UN recorded the death of 308 Israelis in conflict situations.
As per B’Tselem, an Israeli human-rights organisation, 10,712 Palestinians and 1,330 Israelis had been killed since 2000 till this year, before the start of the current violence.
https://thewire.in/world/chart-6407-pal ... t-15-years
CNN —

It is a month since Hamas launched its unexpected and brutal attack on Israel. More than 1,400 Israelis were killed in the assault, and more than 240 were taken hostage, according to a count by Israeli officials. The Ministry of Health in Ramallah says more than 10,000 Palestinians have died in the military campaign launched in response by Israel.

Palestinian authorities don’t make a distinction between combatants and civilians but vulnerable groups — children, health workers and journalists — are among those who make up much of the grim and still growing death toll.

The conflict began when Hamas militants launched their deadly cross-border surprise attack on Israel on October 7, in what has been described as the deadliest massacre of Jews since the Holocaust. In response, Israel responded with air and land attacks on the Gaza Strip, which have resulted in 10,305 deaths, according to a spokesperson for the Palestinian Ministry of Health in the besieged enclave. CNN cannot independently verify the numbers released by the ministry.

Thousands more Palestinians have been killed in Gaza in the last month than those who died in conflicts with Israel over the last 15 years.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/07/middleea ... index.html
RAMALLAH, West Bank, Dec 5 (Reuters) - More than 15,900 Palestinians, including 250 health workers, have been killed in Gaza since the outbreak of war on Oct. 7, the Palestinian health minister said on Tuesday.

The number of dead is steadily rising despite international calls for Israeli forces to limit civilian harm in the new phase of its military offensive in Gaza that began on Dec. 1 when a truce with Hamas collapsed, Health Minister Mai al-Kaila told a news conference in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-12-05/