The Truth Is Self-Evident*

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

The Truth Is Self-Evident*

Post by simplicity »

* Assuming reasonable understanding, the truth is ALWAYS self-evident [I would go as far as saying, obvious]. A corollary might be that if you do possess basic knowledge, the longer the explanation necessary, the greater the bullsh!t it contains. After all, Absolute Simplicity IS Absolute Truth.

For example, take anything that the government says, but more specifically, let's consider the energy situation. I live in the not so sane state of California and we are constantly told that we do not have enough traditional energy sources because [the real reason is that this state is run by a cadre of complete morons who believe that the Earth is about become uninhabitable] we are either depleting of our sources, e.g., oil and gas, or, sources are too dirty [wood, coal], or, too dangerous [nuclear], so we must embrace "renewables," ie., solar, wind, geothermal, etc., so we can look forward to re-creating the German miracle.

The completely predictable result of this idiocy has been utter failure...an under-supply of energy with sky-high prices resulting in the majority of Californians getting poorer and more energy insecure by the minute. This was obvious to anybody who had even a tiny appreciation of energy market dynamics. It was an ideology/fear-driven policy that carried the day [and this is almost always the case regardless of which direction the bs is being flung].

This same principle applies to all things. And this is exactly why almost all institutions morph simple language into the indecipherable. After all, the last thing any group of elites desire is to reveal just how much they have gamed the system. After all, why isn't The Law written in plain English? Is there any reason that medical concepts cannot be greatly simplified so most everybody could understand them? How helpful would this have been vis a vis the COVID vaccine fiasco? Just think of the millions of people who could have been spared harm from the mass clinical trials administered by corporate and government sociopaths.

The bottom-line is...the more complex the explanation, the further away from the truth it lies [especially if it is a well-accepted lie...like we are running out of energy]. If it doesn't make sense to you on its face, you can be 99.9% sure that it's a total bs.
Flannel Jesus

Re: The Truth Is Self-Evident*

Post by Flannel Jesus »

This post doesn't make sense to me on its face. I'm 99.9% sure it's bs.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:50 pm This post doesn't make sense to me on its face. I'm 99.9% sure it's bs.
Hey, he meditated for decades, and his meditation is so powerful that it can put more oil and gas into the Earth, and it also removes pollution.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

simplicity wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:17 pm The bottom-line is...the more complex the explanation, the further away from the truth it lies [especially if it is a well-accepted lie...like we are running out of energy]. If it doesn't make sense to you on its face, you can be 99.9% sure that it's a total bs.
The truth of the matter is that advances in science are leaving the average Joe far behind, as in Joe can't figure things out anymore. From the combustion engine, mmm Joe can fix that and completely understand it. The jet engine, and space rocket technology however, Joe is going to start to struggle.

Use the above and apply it analogously to medical research.

Does this mean there is a conspiracy, NO!
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:46 pm
simplicity wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:17 pm The bottom-line is...the more complex the explanation, the further away from the truth it lies [especially if it is a well-accepted lie...like we are running out of energy]. If it doesn't make sense to you on its face, you can be 99.9% sure that it's a total bs.
The truth of the matter is that advances in science are leaving the average Joe far behind, as in Joe can't figure things out anymore. From the combustion engine, mmm Joe can fix that and completely understand it. The jet engine, and space rocket technology however, Joe is going to start to struggle.

Use the above and apply it analogously to medical research.
I have spent the last 40+ years doing just that and I tell you that made a priority and given the time, almost anybody can understand incredibly complex medical issues. The greatest skill a physician [or any health care provider] can cultivate is the ability to educate his/her patient properly [doctor means "teacher" in Latin].
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:50 pm This post doesn't make sense to me on its face. I'm 99.9% sure it's bs.
For you, it is.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

simplicity wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:15 am I have spent the last 40+ years doing just that and I tell you that made a priority and given the time, almost anybody can understand incredibly complex medical issues. The greatest skill a physician [or any health care provider] can cultivate is the ability to educate his/her patient properly [doctor means "teacher" in Latin].
Let's just assume for the sake of argument that your self-assessment is correct. Above you say you put 40+ years into getting yourself to where you can do this. That it takes time. Well, that leaves out everyone under 40 or really under 50, assuming you started at 10. You then tell us that doctors should make it a priority to be able to communicate well and educate his or her patient well. My wording. Well, they tend not to think that is their greatest skill. So, the patients are not getting the best communication/information.

If we look at your example in the OP, here the state of California is the equivalent of the doctor and they are peddling BS, according to you, so their patients, the citizens of the state are not getting clear and correct information. If it important for experts and those in authority to communicate well so that people understand, then the truth is not self-evident. It can be hidden, twisted, by poor communicators or people with bad intent.

So, there's contradiction in your sense that complicated issues, such as medicine and economic/environmental/societal level process need to be communicated well and honestly about and you assertion that anyone can simply see the truth, especially given that you put in 40 years of work to reach that state you are in.

And we live in a world, now more than ever, perhaps, where people see self-evidents truths all the time...it's just that they are often the opposite of other people's self-evident truths. I am not sure how much it helps things to tell people who already think so many things are just so self-evidently what what they already believe.

If they buy this, they are going to be even more insufferable and unable to take anyone else's opinion seriously.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Good points. If these doctors are educated enough to understand the latest in medicine ready to dispense to patients, how the hell are they expected to educate in a 30 min consultation their 40+ years of knowledge to us average Joes, such that Joes can make a reasonable decision?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:14 am Good points. If these doctors are educated enough to understand the latest in medicine ready to dispense to patients, how the hell are they expected to educate in a 30 min consultation their 40+ years of knowledge to us average Joes, such that Joes can make a reasonable decision?
That's why your appointment is not on time, it takes longer than 30 minutes (for the guy before you).
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

simplicity wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:18 am
For you, it is.
Looks like it doesn't make sense to a lot of people here my man. Looks like it's bs for just about everyone.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:50 am
simplicity wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:15 am I have spent the last 40+ years doing just that and I tell you that made a priority and given the time, almost anybody can understand incredibly complex medical issues. The greatest skill a physician [or any health care provider] can cultivate is the ability to educate his/her patient properly [doctor means "teacher" in Latin].
If we look at your example in the OP, here the state of California is the equivalent of the doctor and they are peddling BS, according to you, so their patients, the citizens of the state are not getting clear and correct information. If it important for experts and those in authority to communicate well so that people understand, then the truth is not self-evident. It can be hidden, twisted, by poor communicators or people with bad intent.
People ALWAYS know that they're being bullshi!tted. How can you live into your adulthood and not understand this? It starts from a very young age and becomes a full court press during the school years and then during adolescence it becomes apparent for all but the truly B,D&D.

If nothing else, people know when they are being bullsh!tted. The requirement to participate [in the system] is to make this part of who you are and we all do it to some extent. Those in positions of power, to a great extent. Just the same, you can [in your own life] tell people the truth and make a difference. You see people out there doing it [although unfortunately, less and less].

The first thing that needs to happen is to understand the problem. In health care, there are many but the biggest is that it was taken over by interests that have as its primary objective, profit, and although I am a serious free market capitalist, the corruption of the economic system [via crony capitalism and corporatism] has been particularly virulent to the point where the most important aspect of care [educating the patient] has been made subservient to profit making [testing and procedures].

EVERYBODY knows this health care system is horribly corrupt...it IS self-evident.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:45 am
simplicity wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:18 am
For you, it is.
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:45 amLooks like it doesn't make sense to a lot of people here my man. Looks like it's bs for just about everyone.
Thanks for the cutting-edge analysis. Do you have anything else to offer? Is it only affirmation for you?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

simplicity wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:25 pm
simplicity wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:18 am For you, it is.
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:45 amLooks like it doesn't make sense to a lot of people here my man. Looks like it's bs for just about everyone.
Thanks for the cutting-edge analysis. Do you have anything else to offer? Is it only affirmation for you?
I'm saying it fails by it's own criteria. I can't tell if you caught onto that
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

simplicity:

People ALWAYS know that they're being bullshi!tted.....

.... nothing else, people know when they are being bullsh!tted.....

EVERYBODY knows this health care system is horribly corrupt...it IS self-evident.

K: and these are untrue statements... recall your Lincoln statement..

You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some
of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time...

not everyone know or even cares if they are being bullshited...
and bullshit is the main currency of politics today... and people
believe... otherwise it wouldn't be there...

and the second point is that anything, ANYTHING, can be defined
as self-evident... it is self-evident that there are people on the moon,
it is self-evident that the moon is made of cheese... it is self-evident that
dogs are superior to human beings....(my wife believes that)
it is self-evident that god does exist.... we can make everything
and anything to be self-evident, if we so desire...

Kropotkin
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:31 pm
simplicity wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:25 pm
simplicity wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:18 am For you, it is.
I'm saying it fails by it's own criteria. I can't tell if you caught onto that
Yes, I understood what you are saying but you are just like 99% of the people here who have nothing to say. You only disagree with everything that does not fit into your narrative [which is probably the oppressor/oppressed one that is selling at a discount these days].

Guess what, if you understand the limitations of the human intellect, then you can prove or dis-prove everything, but this is not what this conversation is about. If you have nothing to add, so be it.