Promethean is a Commie

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wizard22

Re: Promethean is a Commie

Post by Wizard22 »

Your quote says "deductive arguments". Arguments with hypotheticals can be sound and invalid, because validity is dependent on how real a hypothetical can be.

A proveable argument is valid. An unproveable argument is invalid.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:14 pm Your quote says "deductive arguments". Arguments with hypotheticals can be sound and invalid, because validity is dependent on how real a hypothetical can be.

What is the purpose of your reference to hypotheticals?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:22 pmWhat is the purpose of your reference to hypotheticals?
A case can be made that all hypothetical arguments, any argument not based on direct, observable reality, is invalid.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Hibblehams are twice defrondled.
This is a hibbleham.
Therefore it is twice defrondled.

Are u sayin that isn't a valid argument, Wiz?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:14 pm Your quote says "deductive arguments". Arguments with hypotheticals can be sound and invalid, because validity is dependent on how real a hypothetical can be.

Why did you underline the word deductive, if you are segueing into an irrelevant discsussion about hypotheticals?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

It's related to any argument. But, are you saying that your arguments weren't deductive. Because they sure looked deductive.
FDP is doing X.
Jews do X.
FDP is Jewish.

There was nothing hypothetical going on and you started calling him moishe.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:36 am

Why did you underline the word deductive, if you are segueing into an irrelevant discsussion about hypotheticals?
Truly unbelievable where people dig in to not admit anything.
I understand if someone digs in and refuses to admit something that challenges the base of their worldview. Hell, it might even be healthy to do this for a while so the self can prepare for reorganization.

But Wizard is digging in around his making an incorrect statement about valid vs. sound.
And all in the name of weirdly justifying his presented certainty that you must be a Jew.

It's not the same as him admitting he's been anti-semitic here.

It's like there is no prioritization. It seems like that.

It seems like any admission means that the whole house crumbles. Even minor errors in terminology.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

promethean75 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:37 pm Hibblehams are twice defrondled.
This is a hibbleham.
Therefore it is twice defrondled.

Are u sayin that isn't a valid argument, Wiz?
Correct. Soundness is about the form of an argument; Validity is about its coherence to reality.

Your example is logically sound (correct form), but logically invalid (not based on reality).
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:36 amWhy did you underline the word deductive, if you are segueing into an irrelevant discsussion about hypotheticals?
...because my retort against Hairball was hypothetical:

*IF* I were thin-skinned...

To which Ivanna intervened with his irrelevant scrutiny. Pay attention, Dpants, take this as a chance to work on that Literacy we discussed!
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:59 amIt's related to any argument. But, are you saying that your arguments weren't deductive. Because they sure looked deductive.
FDP is doing X.
Jews do X.
FDP is Jewish.

There was nothing hypothetical going on and you started calling him moishe.
No...my contention against Dpants was that I can't imagine a normal white person getting that offended when I claimed that Zelensky was mass-sacrificing the Ukranian population in a giant Satanic human blood sacrifice, to strengthen the state of Yisrael, and summon the Anti-Christ. I mean, it's obviously ridiculous. There's NO WAY Jewish people would do such a thing...right? Come to political power in a foreign nation, not of their own kin, take it to war, sacrifice all the ethnic men there...then re-invest mountains of gold into the country once the war is over.

There's NO WAY that's real...who would even believe such a thing??
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:03 amTruly unbelievable where people dig in to not admit anything.
I understand if someone digs in and refuses to admit something that challenges the base of their worldview. Hell, it might even be healthy to do this for a while so the self can prepare for reorganization.

But Wizard is digging in around his making an incorrect statement about valid vs. sound.
And all in the name of weirdly justifying his presented certainty that you must be a Jew.

It's not the same as him admitting he's been anti-semitic here.

It's like there is no prioritization. It seems like that.

It seems like any admission means that the whole house crumbles. Even minor errors in terminology.
I never claimed it was a certainty, but it is most likely the case.

Have you ever listened to a comedy routine or skit? Ever notice how some people in the crowd laugh at jokes, and others do not? Some parts of the crowd get offended and butt-hurt? What do you think that's about? Why can some people "take a joke", but not others? What does that signal?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:38 am No...my contention against Dpants was that I can't imagine a normal white person getting that offended when I claimed that Zelensky was mass-sacrificing the Ukranian population in a giant Satanic human blood sacrifice, to strengthen the state of Yisrael, and summon the Anti-Christ. I mean, it's obviously ridiculous. There's NO WAY Jewish people would do such a thing...right? Come to political power in a foreign nation, not of their own kin, take it to war, sacrifice all the ethnic men there...then re-invest mountains of gold into the country once the war is over.

Now, I'm really convinced you're not anti-semitic. Thank you.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:40 am I never claimed it was a certainty, but it is most likely the case.
Actually it's not. But this is disingenuous. You acted as if it was certain, calling him a jew and being incredulous that when he said he wasn't.
His assertion that he wasn't was so obviously false, you couldn't imagine it not being true. Then came the 'no normal white guy' silliness in.

The whole thing was a fallacy of composition.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:37 am
Wizard22 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:38 am No...my contention against Dpants was that I can't imagine a normal white person getting that offended when I claimed that Zelensky was mass-sacrificing the Ukranian population in a giant Satanic human blood sacrifice, to strengthen the state of Yisrael, and summon the Anti-Christ. I mean, it's obviously ridiculous. There's NO WAY Jewish people would do such a thing...right? Come to political power in a foreign nation, not of their own kin, take it to war, sacrifice all the ethnic men there...then re-invest mountains of gold into the country once the war is over.

You're welcome!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:58 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:37 am

You're welcome!
And I apologize for saying you couldn't admit you were wrong about your mistake around valid and sound.
I was clearly wrong about you. You did admit that mistake and also the one where you used a fallacy of composition.
You are able to admit these things and did and you can link people to this post if they accuse you of not admitting to things.

And, really, who could believe such a thing???