"New Rule"

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

"New Rule"

Post by Walker »

New Rule: The War on the West | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnl243DjsUE[/quote]
Bill Mahar wrote:New Rule.

For all the progressives and academics out there who refer to Israel as an “outpost” of Western Civilization, like it’s a bad thing, please note: Western Civilization is what gave the world pretty much every “GD” liberal precept that liberals are supposed to adore.

Individual liberty, scientific inquiry, rule of law, religious freedom, women’s rights, human rights, democracy, trial by jury, freedom of speech … please, somebody stop us before we enlighten again.

Since one can find all these concepts in today’s Israel, and virtually nowhere else in the Middle East, if anything the world would be a better place if it had more Israels.

New Rule: The War on the West | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnl243DjsUE
comment:
Bill Mahar, this is precisely why the Left is corrupting these institutions. These principles empower people, and in the United States that takes power away from The Democrat Party.
iambiguous

Re: "New Rule"

Post by iambiguous »

Bill Mahar wrote:New Rule.

For all the progressives and academics out there who refer to Israel as an “outpost” of Western Civilization, like it’s a bad thing, please note: Western Civilization is what gave the world pretty much every “GD” liberal precept that liberals are supposed to adore.

Individual liberty, scientific inquiry, rule of law, religious freedom, women’s rights, human rights, democracy, trial by jury, freedom of speech … please, somebody stop us before we enlighten again.

Since one can find all these concepts in today’s Israel, and virtually nowhere else in the Middle East, if anything the world would be a better place if it had more Israels.
On the other hand: https://youtu.be/zE8GCX1w3ys?si=Q7et0JAV01lcFbQl

Still, this does get tricky when you are fractured and fragmented.

Yes, Israel does come closest to being a liberal democracy in that part of the world. Or, rather, it was until the government there, now composed largely of religious fanatics, became hellbent on turning Israel itself into another theocracy.

In fact, before the war, that was the "big story" in the West. Right, Bill?

And to the extent Palestinians embrace the religious fanaticism -- Sharia law -- pursued by Hamas, Iran, Saudi Arabia and other autocratic nations there, there's no way that, given my own political prejudices, I can prefer them to "democracy and the rule of law".
Walker

Post by Walker »

Mahar sounds like an old school Liberal. Old school liberal is the new Right Wing. In other words, the word conservative references an anachronism.

And what defines the Left? Crazy and wrong, crazy and wrong.
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:03 pm
On the other hand, not all claims are equal. Some claims are weak. Other claims are strong.

That's no cause for Hamas to do, what Hamas did.

There is no justification for what Hamas did.

There is justification for what Israel is doing, and it's already discussed, or rather, presented.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Walker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:03 am Mahar sounds like an old school Liberal. Old school liberal is the new Right Wing. In other words, the word conservative references an anachronism.

And what defines the Left? Crazy and wrong, crazy and wrong.
Please, how did the Left become the Right? What do you mean? What happened?

BTW, this makes sense of many of your posts. I just don’t understand the thinking behind it.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:15 am
On the other hand, not all claims are equal. Some claims are weak. Other claims are strong.
Depending, I suspect, on what particular "rooted existentially in dasein" political prejudices you subscribe to.
Walker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:15 amThat's no cause for Hamas to do, what Hamas did.

On the contrary, their justification is rooted in the God of Abraham. Not unlike the justifications embraced by the Jews in Israel...or those that sustain Bibi's government. And, of course, that's my point. The religious fanatics on both sides -- worshipping and adoring the same God!! -- are slaughtering the truly innocent on both sides.
Walker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:15 amThere is justification for what Israel is doing, and it's already discussed, or rather, presented.
Well, others disagree: https://youtu.be/zE8GCX1w3ys?si=Q7et0JAV01lcFbQl
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:31 pm
Depending, I suspect, on what particular "rooted existentially in dasein" political prejudices you subscribe to.
Objectively, life is the measure. No life, game over.
Walker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:15 amThat's no cause for Hamas to do, what Hamas did.

On the contrary, their justification is rooted in the God of Abraham. Not unlike the justifications embraced by the Jews in Israel...or those that sustain Bibi's government. And, of course, that's my point. The religious fanatics on both sides -- worshipping and adoring the same God!! -- are slaughtering the truly innocent on both sides.
No, I don’t buy that. You’re confusing self-justification with objective justification. Hamas' self-justification is pure hatred of Jews, as they've been conditioned to irrationally hate. The religious angle is simply ostensible justification, i.e., bs. Objectively, Hamas has no justification for the attack on Israel. Objectively, Israel’s justification is self-preservation activated to prevent future promised, unjustified attacks upon Israel.
Walker wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:15 amThere is justification for what Israel is doing, and it's already discussed, or rather, presented.
Well, others are wrong all the time, and many people think many things (which is an acceptable argument for relativists, so why can't anyone use it?)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:29 am
Objectively, life is the measure. No life, game over.
Indeed, and it is now over for thousands of men, women and children in Israel and the Gaza Strip. Why? Because the fanatics there with their religious/political prejudices/dogmas on both sides aim to wipe each other out.

Thus...

Walker wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:29 amNo, I don’t buy that. You’re confusing self-justification with objective justification. Hamas' self-justification is pure hatred of Jews, as they've been conditioned to irrationally hate. The religious angle is simply ostensible justification, i.e., bs. Objectively, Hamas has no justification for the attack on Israel. Objectively, Israel’s justification is self-preservation activated to prevent future promised, unjustified attacks upon Israel.
Right, as though those on the other side can't make the same argument. Only their own rendition of the objective truth encompasses the Jews as the "bad guys".
Walker wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:29 amWell, others are wrong all the time, and many people think many things (which is an acceptable argument for relativists, so why can't anyone use it?)
Oh, I see. Like when Immanuel Cant avers that both the Jews and the Muslims are wrong about God. Why? Because even though Jesus Christ Himself was a Jew, and both Jews and Muslims worship and adore the God of Abraham, only True Christians will be saved.
Walker

Post by Walker »

There's just no pleasin' you. :wink:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Brace Yourself For What's Coming in 2024 - Victor Davis Hanson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V6jH-6F6K0&t=2s
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/1 ... elf-whats/
They look at Trump as a vampire and they put a stake in his heart but they’re afraid that that stake could come out any time. That he’s undying and they’re afraid of him. They are terrified of him.

They are terrified of him because they think he’s smarter this time and he has just cause to really get angry because of what they did to him. They can write all of The Atlantic Monthly and New Yorker clever, glib little essays about “Donald Trump is a threat to democracy,” and their little Molly Ball in Time Magazine essays how clever and brilliant they were with their cabals and conspiracies to get rid of him.

But deep down inside they know that if the right ever did that to Barack Obama or Joe Biden, they could have really made something out of the fact that Barack Obama had a hot mic expose where he told the president of Russia, “You tell Vladimir that I will be flexible on missile defense.” That’s the security of the United States of America. “If he gives me space in my last election.” Putin did do that. That’s an impeachable offense if a phone call to Ukraine is. So they understand that, the right could have done that to them, and they understand now the right probably will do that to them for their own survival, and they are scared.

They’re saying that if a MAGA candidate wins, and they win the House and Senate, they’re cooked because they’re going to get special prosecutors and go after the Biden family like they’ve never gone after anybody.
"They’re saying that if a MAGA candidate wins, and they win the House and Senate, they’re cooked because they’re going to get special prosecutors and go after the Biden family like they’ve never gone after anybody."

I'll believe it when I see it.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

These appear to be just a bunch of links to batshit crazy loons. But it's Walker's thread, and we've learned to expect nothing better.