the only way out

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

the only way out

Post by Advocate »

When you cease to believe the government has legitimate authority, everything changes.
mickthinks

Re: the only way out

Post by mickthinks »

When you begin to understand something abut the world that you didn't understand before, your worldview changes. That's a truism.

Government and legitimate and authority are difficult to disentangle. If it doesn't have authority it isn't a government. If it is a government then it is the ultimate source of legitimacy.

I think what you are trying to identify here is the idea that many people are taught and grow up believing that obedience to government is a moral duty, and that escaping from that false belief is a big thing.

Go figure!
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Advocate wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:34 am When you cease to believe the government has legitimate authority, everything changes.
True, but the real issue is why did one start along the path towards that conclusion.

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:34 am When you cease to believe the government has legitimate authority, everything changes.
When 'you', "advocate", say and use the 'everything' word here 'you' just mean some 'things', and NOT ALL 'things', right?

Also, who ever believed that the 'government' even had 'legitimate authority' anyway?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Age post_id=675035 time=1698101509 user_id=16237]
[quote=Advocate post_id=674900 time=1698046485 user_id=15238]
When you cease to believe the government has legitimate authority, everything changes.
[/quote]

When 'you', "advocate", say and use the 'everything' word here 'you' just mean some 'things', and NOT ALL 'things', right?

Also, who ever believed that the 'government' even had 'legitimate authority' anyway?
[/quote]

Everything changes because belief in authority is a foundational assumption. Someone in this post believes government is the ultimate arbiter of authority.

Post by Age »

mickthinks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:43 am When you begin to understand something abut the world that you didn't understand before, your worldview changes. That's a truism.

Government and legitimate and authority are difficult to disentangle. If it doesn't have authority it isn't a government. If it is a government then it is the ultimate source of legitimacy.
I would suggest that although 'a government' may decided upon and so choose what 'things' to make so-called 'legitimate' or not, and thus could be classed as 'the ultimate source of legitimacy', let us NOT forget who has 'the ultimate source of power' and/or authoritative power here.. Those of you who vote, or 'put', 'a government' in place, or into 'the position' of which 'you' have GIVEN 'them', HAS the ULTIMATE POWER and CONTROL here.

That 'you', "voters", have been MANIPULATED and/or PROGRAMMED into BELIEVING that "one", of ONLY a "two-sided" CHOICE, will make the 'best government', then 'this' is just the very unfortunate consequence of being born into, growing up in, and living in, just ANOTHER 'cult'.

But just like ALL the 'followers' and 'believers' of A 'cult' 'you', ones, here just can NOT YET RECOGNIZE and SEE the, misnomer, "brainwashing" that has been and IS HAPPENING and OCCURRING here.
mickthinks wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:43 am I think what you are trying to identify here is the idea that many people are taught and grow up believing that obedience to government is a moral duty, and that escaping from that false belief is a big thing.

Go figure!
I was thinking that just about everyone who came to this forum, and who remained, would have ALREADY 'matured' and thus have ALREADY 'escaped' the 'obedience to government' BELIEF.

But come to think of it is 'now' EXTREMELY OBVIOUS that some here have absolutely NOT.

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:00 am
Age wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:51 pm

Everything changes because belief in authority is a foundational assumption.
SO, TO "advocate', the earth HAS STOPPED revolving around the sun 'now' BECAUSE "advocate" HAS FINALLY WOKEN UP.

Oh, and by the way, 'a BELIEF in authority' being a 'foundation assumption' is ANOTHER False, Wrong, AND Incorrect ASSUMPTION.

That BELIEF IS and WAS just ANOTHER TAUGHT False teaching.
Advocate wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:00 am Someone in this post believes government is the ultimate arbiter of authority.
Okay, and WHO IS 'that', EXACTLY?

Post by Age »

LuckyR wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:22 pm
True, but the real issue is why did one start along the path towards that conclusion.
The EXACT SAME WAY that ABSOLUTELY EVERY human being STARTS 'the path' towards absolutely EVERY CONCLUSION ' they' ARRIVE AT.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Age wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:09 am
The EXACT SAME WAY that ABSOLUTELY EVERY human being STARTS 'the path' towards absolutely EVERY CONCLUSION ' they' ARRIVE AT.
I wasn't addressing the "way" (or how), I was addressing why.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"When you cease to believe the government has legitimate authority, everything changes.'

I don't think so. Merely believing the government doesn't have authority changes nothing. Violent action against the government, on the other hand, makes that authority illegitimate.

Post by Age »

LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:28 am

SO WAS I.

WHEN, and IF, 'you' LEARN and/or FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW 'the brain' ACTUALLY WORKS, THEN 'you' WILL ALSO UNDERSTAND, and KNOW, WHY ALL of 'you' START along 'the path' towards ALL OF 'your' CONCLUSIONS.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Age wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:07 am

SO WAS I.

WHEN, and IF, 'you' LEARN and/or FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW 'the brain' ACTUALLY WORKS, THEN 'you' WILL ALSO UNDERSTAND, and KNOW, WHY ALL of 'you' START along 'the path' towards ALL OF 'your' CONCLUSIONS.
What do 'you' mean by "also"?

Post by Age »

LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:41 pm

SO WAS I.

Too and/or as well.

But if you MEANT, 'Who, and/or what, ELSE ALREADY KNOWS WHY ALL human beings START along 'the path' towards ALL of 'their' CONCLUSIONS? then just let me know, and then I will also 'this question', as well, too, and/or also.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Age wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:46 am
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:41 pm

SO WAS I.

Too and/or as well.

But if you MEANT, 'Who, and/or what, ELSE ALREADY KNOWS WHY ALL human beings START along 'the path' towards ALL of 'their' CONCLUSIONS? then just let me know, and then I will also 'this question', as well, too, and/or also.
Very perceptive. Yes, who exactly has access to this knowledge?