a bit about the meaning of life

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

nemos

a bit about the meaning of life

Post by nemos »

You are not destined to know everything, but this does not prevent you from formulating and expressing your attitude. If it is impossible to cope with the circumstances, it can be helpful to change the attitude towards those circumstances.

About the meaning of life.
In my understanding, life is an opportunity that is very individual for individuals. Therefore, it is quite pointless to compare your life with another's, because your opportunity is yours and others' opportunity is theirs respectively. Of course, it is quite nice if, for some reason, your achievements can prove useful to others, but it does not change the essence of the matter. We come into this world on our own, and we will also leave it on our own. Others may witness it, but they cannot be participants in it.
As I said, this is only my understanding and my attitude and cannot be forced as a truth that can be applied to others as well.
Each individual opportunity affects only him and only him to decide what to do with it - lying down and covering himself with a white sheet is also an option. And all this mainly because there is no hint of what this possibility is.

One of my theories goes like this:
God had some questions that he didn't know the answer to, so he created us as a kind of computer, hoping that we would help him. Well, that's why all this torment with various "why?" which we have to endure, because that is the original task - and in this case also the meaning of our existence.

Another theory is about the questions 'what?', 'how?', 'why?', ... (I wanted to share even though it is not related to the topic.)
I am a supporter of evolution, so it is convenient for me to assume that not only life is a product of evolution, but also consciousness (well, in general, I believe that it is only a part of the development of matter in general).
And the mentioned questions are certain indicators of the stages of the evolution of consciousness.
Stage 1: The question 'what?', without a doubt the answer is me, and there are others.
Stage 2: 'how?' - Homo habilis.
Stage 3 (current): 'why?' - Homo sapiens (since my observations show that most people value their conviction and faith more with rational arguments, I have doubts about how justified we are in calling ourselves reasonable, maybe it would be more appropriate to call us believers - Homo fidei)
4. if my theory has even the slightest basis, then it is not excluded that stage 4 is also possible.
nemos

Re: a bit about the meaning of life

Post by nemos »

Any theory is judged by its ability to explain and predict. Apart from that, only another generator of noise and garbage remains, which greatly complicates the discovery of the truth. It is like the circles from a stone thrown into water can be seen well on a smooth surface of water, but not on a turbulent one covered with chaotic waves.

Returning to the meaning of life.
What does the concept of meaning mean in general, in what cases can we talk about meaning? I assume that only something with a lasting effect makes sense. What will be left of me when I'm gone?, well, except fertilizer for the soil.

Does the soul exist? If yes, then what is it? Is it really immortal?
It seems to me that concepts do not appear out of thin air. If a delirious person claims to see white mice, then there is no reason not to believe him, because it is very possible that he really sees them...

Post by Age »

nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:09 am You are not destined to know everything, but this does not prevent you from formulating and expressing your attitude. If it is impossible to cope with the circumstances, it can be helpful to change the attitude towards those circumstances.

About the meaning of life.
In my understanding, life is an opportunity that is very individual for individuals. Therefore, it is quite pointless to compare your life with another's, because your opportunity is yours and others' opportunity is theirs respectively. Of course, it is quite nice if, for some reason, your achievements can prove useful to others, but it does not change the essence of the matter. We come into this world on our own, and we will also leave it on our own. Others may witness it, but they cannot be participants in it.
As I said, this is only my understanding and my attitude and cannot be forced as a truth that can be applied to others as well.
Each individual opportunity affects only him and only him to decide what to do with it - lying down and covering himself with a white sheet is also an option. And all this mainly because there is no hint of what this possibility is.

One of my theories goes like this:
God had some questions that he didn't know the answer to, so he created us as a kind of computer, hoping that we would help him.
There is a fair bit of truth in this here, actually.
nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:09 am Well, that's why all this torment with various "why?" which we have to endure, because that is the original task - and in this case also the meaning of our existence.

Another theory is about the questions 'what?', 'how?', 'why?', ... (I wanted to share even though it is not related to the topic.)
I am a supporter of evolution, so it is convenient for me to assume that not only life is a product of evolution, but also consciousness (well, in general, I believe that it is only a part of the development of matter in general).
And the mentioned questions are certain indicators of the stages of the evolution of consciousness.
Stage 1: The question 'what?', without a doubt the answer is me, and there are others.
Stage 2: 'how?' - Homo habilis.
Stage 3 (current): 'why?' - Homo sapiens (since my observations show that most people value their conviction and faith more with rational arguments, I have doubts about how justified we are in calling ourselves reasonable, maybe it would be more appropriate to call us believers - Homo fidei)
4. if my theory has even the slightest basis, then it is not excluded that stage 4 is also possible.

Post by Age »

nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am Any theory is judged by its ability to explain and predict. Apart from that, only another generator of noise and garbage remains, which greatly complicates the discovery of the truth. It is like the circles from a stone thrown into water can be seen well on a smooth surface of water, but not on a turbulent one covered with chaotic waves.

What does the concept of meaning mean in general,
Defining, or definition.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am in what cases can we talk about meaning?
In the cases of how 'words' are used, and are being defined.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am I assume that only something with a lasting effect makes sense. What will be left of me when I'm gone?, well, except fertilizer for the soil.
Only the physical body so-call 'decays' into 'other matter'.

The invisible 'you' does not, and lasts, in one way or another, forever. But, both the non-visible and physical body of 'you' has an ever-lasting effect anyway, again in one way or another.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am Does the soul exist? If yes, then what is it?
Just a word meaning or referencing the invisible thoughts and emotions within a human body.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am Is it really immortal?
No, because 'it' has a beginning. Although 'it' lasts forever more.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am It seems to me that concepts do not appear out of thin air.
Of course not. There is absolutely nothing that appears out of so-called 'thin air'.

Also, concepts obviously appear or arise within a human body, 'out of' the 'past experiences' the 'human body'.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am If a delirious person claims to see white mice, then there is no reason not to believe him, because it is very possible that he really sees them...
Also, there is NO good reason to 'believe' 'them' neither.

And, when what the ACTUAL Truth IS becomes KNOWN, then there is NO need to 'believe' 'that person' still.

Oh, and by the way, while one was either believing or not believing 'that person', then they are NOT Truly ABLE to learn and find out what the ACTUAL Truth IS, also.
Last edited by Age on Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
nemos

Post by nemos »

You sound very confident in your statements, I'm not so lucky because I have a lot of doubts.
When I mention white mice, I mean that the image is formed in the brain and not necessarily through the eyes. Therefore, I will not lie about my visions, even if they are only visions and as such are visible only to me.
It is hardly possible to consider our mind as a precise instrument, rather as a crooked mirror, the shape of which is not even constant at all, but can be easily changed.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Age wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:43 am
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 am Any theory is judged by its ability to explain and predict. Apart from that, only another generator of noise and garbage remains, which greatly complicates the discovery of the truth. It is like the circles from a stone thrown into water can be seen well on a smooth surface of water, but not on a turbulent one covered with chaotic waves.

Defining, or definition.
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am in what cases can we talk about meaning?
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am I assume that only something with a lasting effect makes sense. What will be left of me when I'm gone?, well, except fertilizer for the soil.

The invisible 'you' does not, and lasts, in one way or another, forever. But, both the non-visible and physical body of 'you' has an ever-lasting effect anyway, again in one way or another.
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am Does the soul exist? If yes, then what is it?
Just a word meaning or referencing the invisible thoughts and emotions within a human body.
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am Is it really immortal?
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am It seems to me that concepts do not appear out of thin air.
Of course not. There is absolutely nothing that appears out of so-called 'thin air'.

Also, concepts obviously appear or arise within a human body, 'out of' the 'past experiences' the 'human body'.
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am If a delirious person claims to see white mice, then there is no reason not to believe him, because it is very possible that he really sees them...

And, when what the ACTUAL Truth IS becomes KNOWN, then there is NO need to 'believe' 'that person' still.

Oh, and by the way, while one was either believing or not believing 'that person', then they are NOT Truly ABLE to learn and find out what the ACTUAL Truth IS, also.
Uummm... you might want to relearn the quote function. I didn't write any of the material you attributed to me. Just sayin'...

And you might to brush up on CAPS Lock as well while you're at it.
Last edited by LuckyR on Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:04 pm You sound very confident in your statements, I'm not so lucky because I have a lot of doubts.
When I mention white mice, ...

What about the dolphins and Slartibartfast?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:09 am One of my theories goes like this:
God had some questions that he didn't know the answer to, so he created us as a kind of computer, hoping that we would help him. Well, that's why all this torment with various "why?" which we have to endure, because that is the original task - and in this case also the meaning of our existence.
And at the end of the program it determined its function was actually to define a new computer to be called Deep Thought?
nemos

Post by nemos »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:00 pm What about the dolphins and Slartibartfast?
Of course I believe, I have no reason not to believe you ... :)

to FlashDangerpants » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:09 pm

42 :roll: https://www.google.com/search?q=meaning ... e&ie=UTF-8
Last edited by nemos on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:09 am You are not destined to know everything, but this does not prevent you from formulating and expressing your attitude. If it is impossible to cope with the circumstances, it can be helpful to change the attitude towards those circumstances.
Agreed.

This is how it seems to me...

If we 'knew everything', all of 'this seemingly-physical world' might cease and dissolve away. Part of the fascination of this dream/world is due to our lack of knowing. Our 'unknowing' makes the experience possible. And within this life/world, we spend so much time on establishing ultimate 'knowing'. :) Which is like dismantling the dream we are in, instead of experiencing it.

There is value in retaining the open and adventurous spirit that is most often demonstrated by young children. They know how to have great fun without being intent on 'knowing' certainties, limitations, standards, etc. Of course, knowledge is useful for the adult world in order to build and manage the human 'empire' -- but the open and adventurous spirit that comes from acceptance of 'unknowing' need not be lost.

I think we have a great opportunity to create and explore within this landscape regardless of whatever ultimate reasons we are here. Fathoming the seemingly unfathomable of our temporary world need not take the place of enjoying that temporary world. For example, one does not need to know the source of the ocean and all that is in it in order to experience the exhilaration and mastery of surfing its waves.
nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:09 am In my understanding, life is an opportunity that is very individual for individuals. Therefore, it is quite pointless to compare your life with another's, because your opportunity is yours and others' opportunity is theirs respectively. Of course, it is quite nice if, for some reason, your achievements can prove useful to others, but it does not change the essence of the matter. We come into this world on our own, and we will also leave it on our own. Others may witness it, but they cannot be participants in it.
I think this speaks well to the potential of such vast experience and perspective. So many individuals/representations... and yet look at how we humans try to organize people and judge according to limited groups. We are so addicted to density. :lol: I think the vastness that is actually being represented is awe-inspiring... and then, I consider that all of life (represented as 'individuals' and so much diversity) is actually ONE. (I don't call it 'God' because I think that term is often used to refer to something 'separate'.) There is nothing for me to do but 'my part' -- surfing life as well as possible, with as much awareness and useful energy as I can -- as part of the ONE. I don't need to feel that I am any more than that.

Thanks for inspiring the thoughtful conversation.

Post by Age »

LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:49 pm
Age wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:43 am

Defining, or definition.
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am in what cases can we talk about meaning?
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am I assume that only something with a lasting effect makes sense. What will be left of me when I'm gone?, well, except fertilizer for the soil.

LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am Does the soul exist? If yes, then what is it?
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am Is it really immortal?
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am It seems to me that concepts do not appear out of thin air.

LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 am If a delirious person claims to see white mice, then there is no reason not to believe him, because it is very possible that he really sees them...

Uummm... you might want to relearn the quote function. I didn't write any of the material you attributed to me. Just sayin'...
Learning the so-called 'quote function', i do not think is the issue i have. REMEMBERING to CHANGE some 'thing' is a common issue i have here.

I APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY, "luckyr', and have ALREADY RECTIFIED my Wrong DOING here.
LuckyR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:49 pm And you might to brush up on CAPS Lock as well while you're at it.
BUT there is NO 'right' NOR 'wrong' in relation to USING capital letters or NOT.

By the way, I do NOT USE so-called 'CAPS Lock', so how could I ACTUALLY so-call 'brush up on' 'that'?

Post by Age »

nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:04 pm You sound very confident in your statements, I'm not so lucky because I have a lot of doubts.
EXACTLY HOW to REDUCE 'those doubts' is a MUCH SIMPLER and MUCH EASIER process than what most people thought and/or believed, when this is being written.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:04 pm When I mention white mice, I mean that the image is formed in the brain and not necessarily through the eyes.
If 'this reply' is directed to me in any way, then the way you mean here is the EXACT SAME WAY I thought you meant.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:04 pm Therefore, I will not lie about my visions, even if they are only visions and as such are visible only to me.
What, EXACTLY, are the reasons WHY you have ARRIVED AT the CONCLUDED 'therefore' here?

Or, from 'your' perspective how would 'you' finish 'this sentence here', 'I will not lie about my visions, BECAUSE ... '.
nemos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:04 pm It is hardly possible to consider our mind as a precise instrument, rather as a crooked mirror, the shape of which is not even constant at all, but can be easily changed.
To just IMAGINE that 'one' of 'you', human beings, has 'its' OWN 'mind' is a Truly DISTORTED and TWISTED 'consideration', let alone how Wrong 'it' IS to ASSUME and/or BELIEVE that 'this' IS TRUE, RIGHT, ACCURATE, or CORRECT.

BUT, HOW and WHY that completely DISTORTED thought and BELIEVE came INTO 'being' is Truly UNDERSTANDABLE, especially considering what the ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth IS here EXACTLY.

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm
Agreed.

This is how it seems to me...

If we 'knew everything', all of 'this seemingly-physical world' might cease and dissolve away.
To even BEGIN to just START IMAGINING that one or ALL of 'you', human beings, could even come CLOSE TO KNOWING EVERY 'thing' is just ABSURD, in the extreme, but to then BEGIN to IMAGINE would the 'consequences' could be takes 'the extremities' to a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL.

'you', human beings, individually AND collectively could NEVER KNOW absolutely EVERY 'thing'. FULL STOP.

But, IF absolutely ANY one wants to BELIEVE otherwise, then PLEASE feel FREE TO.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm Part of the fascination of this dream/world is due to our lack of knowing. Our 'unknowing' makes the experience possible.
So, according to 'your' so-called "logic" here "lacewing", are 'you' here suggesting that if 'one' 'knows' some 'thing', then 'that one' can NOT 'experience'?

If no, then what are 'you' here suggesting or MEANING, EXACTLY?
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm And within this life/world, we spend so much time on establishing ultimate 'knowing'. :)
Like, for example, being FIXED, RIGID, and/or FIXATED on the, supposed, 'already established knowing' that there is NO 'one truth', NOR 'one path', right?
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm Which is like dismantling the dream we are in, instead of experiencing it.
And, OBVIOUSLY, having and HOLDING ONTO the, supposed, 'already established knowledge' that 'There is NO one truth' does, or does NOT, allow 'the experiencing' of what 'you' call 'the dream', but which "others" might call just 'Life', Itself?
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm There is value in retaining the open and adventurous spirit that is most often demonstrated by young children.
I WOULD AGREE WITH and ACCEPT 'this knowledge' that 'you' ARE PRESENTING here "lacewing", however, doing so MIGHT JUST LEAD 'us' TO 'one truth' AND/OR 'one path', which MIGHT JUST HELP in the CREATING of a MUCH BETTER 'world, dream, or life', FOR and WITH EVERY one.

WHICH just could NEVER be 'the case', right, as there is NO 'one truth' NOR 'one path', to 'you', correct?

Also, and by the way, is there A human being, among ANY OF 'you', that could provide absolutely ANY 'thing' in relation to there being NO 'value', in ANY way AT ALL, in retaining the OPEN and 'adventurous spirit' that IS IN absolutely EVERY 'young child'?

IF absolutely ANY 'human being' could provide absolutely ANY reason for NOT being ABSOLUTELY OPEN, and ABSOLUTELY CURIOS, AT ABSOLUTELY ANY 'time' or 'moment', then PLEASE 'pass on' 'your' KNOWLEDGE and EXPLANATION here.

ALSO, DO NOT CONFUSE 'your' OWN Wrongly LEARNED BELIEF that 'being OPEN', itself, as a Truly MATURED or GROWN UP ADULT human being, COULD LEAD 'you' TO being MANIPULATED, LEARNING, and/or BELIEVING 'things' that are just NOT True, NOT Right, NOT Accurate, or NOT Correct, as a GOOD REASON as to NOT being ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY Truly OPEN ALWAYS.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm They know how to have great fun without being intent on 'knowing' certainties, limitations, standards, etc.
Have 'you', "lacewing" become MORE 'content' and MORE 'happy', and are having MORE 'fun' 'now' AFTER HOLDING the 'CERTAIN and LIMITING knowledge' that THERE IS NO 'one truth' NOR NO 'one path'?

I KNOW, FOR CERTAIN, HAVE FAR MORE 'fun' NOT 'knowing' 'this so-called knowledge'.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm Of course, knowledge is useful for the adult world in order to build and manage the human 'empire'
BUT it IS the so-called 'human empire', build BY 'you', adult human beings, which has RUINED and CONTINUES TO COMPLETELY and UTTERLY DESTROY 'the life and the world' for EVERY 'thing' ELSE, INCLUDING 'your' OWN Truly OPEN CURIOUS and ADVENTUROUS, while AT the SAME TIME ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING 'their DREAMS'.

'False, Wrong, Inaccurate, AND Incorrect knowledge' IS NEVER EVER 'useful' in MOVING TOWARDS, ACHIEVING, and OBTAINING the EXACT SAME ACTUAL GOAL, that is WITHIN ALL of 'you', human beings, young AND old.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm -- but the open and adventurous spirit that comes from acceptance of 'unknowing' need not be lost.
'unknowing' is NEVER NOT 'there'. 'unknowing' just gets COVERED UP WITH and BY the Wrongly LEARNED 'love' of WANTING TO appear SMARTER than what one REALLY IS. Which IS ANOTHER COMPLETELY UNFORTUNATE CONSEQUENCE and RESULT of a COMPLETELY Wrong DISCIPLINED, and Wrongly LEARNED and TAUGHT, 'teaching and learning-system', in the Wrongly LABELLED 'educational-system'.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm I think we have a great opportunity to create and explore within this landscape regardless of whatever ultimate reasons we are here.
But the FUNDAMENTAL REASON OF WHY 'you', human beings, ARE HERE, LEADS DIRECTLY in regards to the EXPLORATION, the UNCOVERING, and the DISCOVERY, of 'ANSWERS to 'things' like:

WHY ARE 'we' HERE, in Life?
WHAT IS Right AND Wrong, in Life?
WHO AM 'I', which IS ALIVE, and LIVING, EXACTLY? And, (what might be the BEST QUESTION TO BE ANSWERED),
HOW can 'I' FIND the ANSWERS/SOLUTIONS to ALL of 'our' QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS?
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm Fathoming the seemingly unfathomable of our temporary world need not take the place of enjoying that temporary world.
BUT 'trying to' LIMIT and/or put BOUNDARIES ONTO the ONLY REAL 'eternal and ever-lasting world', like 'you' ARE 'trying to' do here "lacewing" ONLY CONTRADICTS what 'you' are suggesting "other's" DO.

The 'ACTUAL world' has NEVER been UNFATHOMABLE, and, IN FACT, UNDERSTANDING, KNOWING, AND FATHOMING the 'ONE and ONLY REAL and ACTUAL world' IS FAR MORE SIMPLER and FAR MORE EASIER than MOST of 'you', people, here, when this is being written, FIRST THINK and REALIZE.

ONCE one OBTAINS, and/or LEARNS, and thus KNOWS THE ANSWER to the MIGHT BE 'BEST QUESTION' above here, then that one, literally HAS the KNOW -H.O.W. of HOW to ANSWER ALL OF the Truly MEANINGFUL QUESTIONS, IN Life.

ONCE 'this' IS OBTAINED, THEN 'fathoming' the 'seemingly unfathomable' is Truly VERY SIMPLE and VERY EASY, INDEED.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm For example, one does not need to know the source of the ocean and all that is in it in order to experience the exhilaration and mastery of surfing its waves.
But does one HAVE TO LEARN and/or KNOW absolutely ANY 'thing' to be able the so-called 'mastery of surfing', itself?

ALSO, one does NOT have to come here, to this forum, and TELL "others" what they ARE FIXATED ON and WITH, like; There is NO 'one truth', to just keep EXPERIENCING and EXPLORING, MORE.

BUT, some people become SO RIGID in 'their views' that they PREFER TO DO 'the former', RATHER than 'the latter', here.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm
nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:09 am In my understanding, life is an opportunity that is very individual for individuals. Therefore, it is quite pointless to compare your life with another's, because your opportunity is yours and others' opportunity is theirs respectively. Of course, it is quite nice if, for some reason, your achievements can prove useful to others, but it does not change the essence of the matter. We come into this world on our own, and we will also leave it on our own. Others may witness it, but they cannot be participants in it.
I think this speaks well to the potential of such vast experience and perspective. So many individuals/representations... and yet look at how we humans try to organize people and judge according to limited groups.
FIND OUT WHY 'you', individually, DO 'this' "lacewing", THEN 'you' WILL HAVE 'the CAUSE', and WITH KNOWING 'the CAUSE' then 'you' will HAVE 'the knowledge' FROM PREVENTING "yourself" FROM EVER 'trying to' ORGANIZE people and FROM JUDGING "others" according to LIMITED GROUPS, AGAIN.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm We are so addicted to density. :lol:
WHY ARE 'you', "lacewing", SO ADDICTED to 'density'?
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm I think the vastness that is actually being represented is awe-inspiring... and then, I consider that all of life (represented as 'individuals' and so much diversity) is actually ONE. (I don't call it 'God' because I think that term is often used to refer to something 'separate'.)
WHY would 'you' even think or ASSUME such a 'thing', "lacewing"?

FIND the reason OUT WHY, then 'you' can, AGAIN, PREVENT "yourself" FROM DOING the SAME Wrong, NEXT TIME.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm There is nothing for me to do but 'my part'
AND, which 'you' ARE DOING PERFECTLY HERE, NOW.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm -- surfing life as well as possible, with as much awareness and useful energy as I can -- as part of the ONE.
BUT, as a Truly GROWN UP or MATURE ADULT, what would the ACTUAL PURPOSE BE of have absolutely NO 'intent' of KNOWING 'things', FOR SURE and WITH CERTAINTY?
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm I don't need to feel that I am any more than that.
BUT, 'you' appear to have a VERY STRONG DESIRE and/or NEED to EXPRESS 'your' VIEWS and/or LEARNED and OBTAINED 'knowledge' and 'knowing' here.

Also, what would the POINT BE, if ANY, to 'you' "lacewing", OF so-called 'surfing life', as well as possible, with as much AWARENESS and USEFUL ENERGY as 'you' can, EXACTLY?

Furthermore, what are the words,

'as well as possible', in relation TO, EXACTLY?

'useful energy', in relation TO, EXACTLY? And,

Would there be ANY REAL PURPOSE OF HAVING 'as MUCH AWARENESS, as you can', if 'you' were ONLY going to 'surf', or 'live', 'life' ALONE, and NOT SHARE, WITH "others", what 'you' have LEARNED, in 'your' EXPERIENCES?

Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:56 pm Thanks for inspiring the thoughtful conversation.
Hopefully, 'you' WILL PROVIDE some 'knowledgeable answers/reply' to KEEP 'this' GOING.
nemos

Post by nemos »

If somewhere everyone has the same opinion about what is right, then you should not look for the truth in that place. After all, everything is found there, and therefore no one is looking for anything anymore.
Someone who knows everything can be completely confident, or someone who knows so little that there is no room for doubt.

Where does confidence come from?
The reflection process should inevitably lead to doubts, because there would definitely be options, among which the right one should be found.
So the conviction can arise either by deciding on one of the options, more or less justified. Or avoiding thinking...
(Experimentation is used in science to reduce the number of variants/doubts.)
nemos

Post by nemos »

Regarding the future: Man is mortal, but more importantly, he is unexpectedly and suddenly mortal.

No one thought about the fact that time and inertia are interrelated phenomena ?!
If there were no inertia, all events could happen at once and time would have no meaning ...
And inertia is characterized by mass, which is expressed by energy.
It turns out that we are just energized unevenness, something like ripples in water as memories of the stone that created them.
Oh we are just memories ??

I cannot disagree with the assumption that we exist only at this particular moment. The future is just a fantasy about it(see introductory phrase). But the past is only memories of events 'in the past', which are strongly dependent on whether or not any consciousness-expanding or influencing means were used at the time they were created.