How i am the best philosopher

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

How i am the best philosopher

Post by Advocate »

Why is already covered in its own that, but several people have asked about how, so i'll address that here, starting with these ideas: necessary and sufficient. Any idea that cannot be taken to its logical extension isn't logical. You're not right and they're not wrong unless you understand Why you're right and Why they're wrong. Metaphysics is all of the deepest "what is the nature of" questions.
Last edited by Advocate on Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
promethean75

Re: How i am the best philosopher

Post by promethean75 »

Last edited by promethean75 on Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:36 pm Any idea that cannot be taken to its logical extension isn't logical.
What is that supposed to even mean? Is there a logical extension to "Any idea that cannot be taken to its logical extension isn't logical"?

Should we be putting your words on top of pictures of busts of Aristotle to make them seem a bit more wise for the Facebook crowd?

Shall we order large volumes of mugs to print your wisdom on?

nemos

Post by nemos »

It's not really clear how logic applies to truth. As far as I can tell, logic is based on building cause and effect chains to one end or the other. Conformity to logic makes judgments possibly believable but not necessarily true. Logic is a wonderful tool of demagogues.
Strictly speaking, I think that there are no truly illogical things in this world at all, because in principle there is nothing that does not come from nothing. If something seems illogical, it is most likely because there is a lack of knowledge about some facts.

About philosophizing. I had to hear an interesting opinion that it is intellectual masturbation. :)

Words as a tool can be used in the most unimaginable ways.
Of course, you can try to find the truth, but you can also try to hide it. Truth is often sacrificed when defending one's point of view.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"As far as I can tell, logic is based on building cause and effect chains to one end or the other."

That's a metaphysical subject (becuz causality can't be experienced, only infered). Logic is more of a tool for analyzing and testing arguments and/or claims for validity and soundness.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:36 pm Why is already covered in its own that, but several people have asked about how, so i'll address that here, starting with these ideas: necessary and sufficient. Any idea that cannot be taken to its logical extension isn't logical. You're not right and they're more won't unless you understand Why you're right and Why they're wrong. Metaphysics is all of the deepest "what is the nature of" questions.
I can't see how this relates to the title of the thread. But perhaps it directly connects back to an argument you've made in the other thread. Alone, however....it doesn't seem to be on the same subject as the title. Perhaps you could rephrase the whole thing and the penultimate sentence....I can't get a clear meaning out of it at all.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=promethean75 post_id=674639 time=1697910699 user_id=16524]
Metaphysics is hard work, pal, and i'm the best.

[Url=https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxMXqiRXqjXp ... kRTQZYX-i2]I'll work circles around u... I'll wrap your fuckin head in with a ratchet. U don't have anybody down there that'll work like me[/url]
[/quote]

What's your meta-metaphysics, pal?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=674642 time=1697911175 user_id=11800]
[quote=Advocate post_id=674636 time=1697909819 user_id=15238]
Any idea that cannot be taken to its logical extension isn't logical.
[/quote]
What is that supposed to even mean? Is there a logical extension to "Any idea that cannot be taken to its logical extension isn't logical"?

Should we be putting your words on top of pictures of busts of Aristotle to make them seem a bit more wise for the Facebook crowd?

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... A&usqp=CAU[/img]

Shall we order large volumes of mugs to print your wisdom on?

[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41x ... SY355_.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Eugenics, for instance, is logical when taken to a logical extreme - biological manipulation isn't inherently unethical, and illogical when taken to an illogical extreme - group identity.
Last edited by Advocate on Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=nemos post_id=674643 time=1697911321 user_id=24568]
It's not really clear how logic applies to truth. As far as I can tell, logic is based on building cause and effect chains to one end or the other. Conformity to logic makes judgments possibly believable but not necessarily true. Logic is a wonderful tool of demagogues.
Strictly speaking, I think that there are no truly illogical things in this world at all, because in principle there is nothing that does not come from nothing. If something seems illogical, it is most likely because there is a lack of knowledge about some facts.

About philosophizing. I had to hear an interesting opinion that it is intellectual masturbation. :)

Of course, you can try to find the truth, but you can also try to hide it. Truth is often sacrificed when defending one's point of view.
[/quote]

Logic is relationships that always replicate and is therefore as close to objective truth as we can get, by whatever definition of either. You've hit in another of the Hows: Most times someone is wrong it's because they failed to account for something meaningful. My philosophy (coherent set of answers to a set of philosophical questions) is linguistic to be sure. Take it or leave it, but if you take it, it had enormous capabilities, well beyond any other ever proposed.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Iwannaplato post_id=674646 time=1697913148 user_id=3619]
[quote=Advocate post_id=674636 time=1697909819 user_id=15238]
Why is already covered in its own that, but several people have asked about how, so i'll address that here, starting with these ideas: necessary and sufficient. Any idea that cannot be taken to its logical extension isn't logical. You're not right and they're more won't unless you understand Why you're right and Why they're wrong. Metaphysics is all of the deepest "what is the nature of" questions.
[/quote]I can't see how this relates to the title of the thread. But perhaps it directly connects back to an argument you've made in the other thread. Alone, however....it doesn't seem to be on the same subject as the title. Perhaps you could rephrase the whole thing and the penultimate sentence....I can't get a clear meaning out of it at all.
[/quote]

Why i am the best philosopher <other thread> is a stack of supporting contentions. How is the tools i used to get to that point, such as the examples above
FlashDangerpants

Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:49 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:59 pm
Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:36 pm Any idea that cannot be taken to its logical extension isn't logical.
Eugenics, for instance, is logical when taken to a logical extreme - biological isn't inherently unethical, and illogical when taken to an illogical extreme - group identity.
That doesn't really make any sense either but by your standards we may as well acept it as the best you can do. There's nothing even vaguely important about it though.
FlashDangerpants

nemos wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:02 pm It's not really clear how logic applies to truth. As far as I can tell, logic is based on building cause and effect chains to one end or the other. Conformity to logic makes judgments possibly believable but not necessarily true. Logic is a wonderful tool of demagogues.

I wouldn't bother taking this thread too seriously if I were you. Advocate has an advanced and highly debilitating Narcissistic Personality Disorder and is playing mainly for attention.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=674679 time=1697923033 user_id=11800]
[quote=nemos post_id=674643 time=1697911321 user_id=24568]

[/quote]
I wouldn't bother taking this thread too seriously if I were you. Advocate has an advanced and highly debilitating Narcissistic Personality Disorder and is playing mainly for attention.
[/quote]

First, ir can't be narcissism if it's true. Second, you're incapable of vetting the evidence.
Last edited by Advocate on Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:36 pm .
Greatest Philosopher of All Time, we wish to hear what you have to say on the Ultimate Philosophical Question.

Given that
Advocate wrote:Everything that can happen, does happen and that's one infinite ongoing thing.
why do we find ourselves in this world in particular? There are infinite possibilities, so why this one? Why this particular universe? Why the human form? (In case there is some kind of reason or explanation at all.)

Or in short: why are we here?

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:06 pm
Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:36 pm .
Greatest Philosopher of All Time, we wish to hear what you have to say on the Ultimate Philosophical Question.
Which is supposedly 'what', EXACTLY, "atla"?
Atla wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:06 pm Given that
Advocate wrote:Everything that can happen, does happen and that's one infinite ongoing thing.
why do we find ourselves in this world in particular?
If the 'we' word here is in reference to 'you', human beings, then why 'you', human beings, are here is because of evolution just changing the shape and form of matter, itself. With an underlying or internal desire of wanting to know thy Self.

Through 'you', human beings, (and 'things'
prior), 'I' was able to evolve into coming-to-KNOW thy Self.
Atla wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:06 pm There are infinite possibilities, so why this one?
No reason. Matter, itself, could have, and does, evolve into many different shapes and forms. That matter evolved into the human shape and form is of absolutely NO relevance NOR importance AT ALL.

Just as long as a 'thing', which works just like 'a computer' does evolved into 'being', then that was all that really mattered. 'That thing' being the human brain. Whatever the housing of 'that working computer like brain' looked like did and does not matter one iota.
Atla wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:06 pm Why this particular universe?
Well considering the IRREFUTABLE Fact that there IS and can ONLY EVER BE just One, infinite and eternal, Universe, asking why this 'particular' Universe IS JUST NONSENSICAL.
Atla wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:06 pm Why the human form? (In case there is some kind of reason or explanation at all.)
As explained above the form of 'the body', or 'housing', does NOT matter AT ALL.

The ONLY 'thing' that mattered here was that mattered was formed on a way, which worked exactly like how a computer does. That is; where 'information or knowledge can be gathered, stored, recalled, expressed, and shared. Which is how matter in the shape and form of 'the human brain' works, EXACTLY.
Atla wrote:Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:06 pm
Or in short: why are we here?
Why 'you', human beings, are here was so that 'I' could COME-TO-KNOW thy Self.

Now, WHY am 'I' here is so that 'I' can bear witness to the BEAUTY, which 'I' AM Creating, HERE-NOW.