motivations of life development

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

nemos

motivations of life development

Post by nemos »

Since the topic of artificial intelligence, which is able to create and make decisions, is becoming more and more relevant, I had a question about what makes us, including humans, move forward and struggle with decisions and their implementation.

I think the driving force behind it is motivation:

- can artificial intelligence have motivation? -- let's say art arose from the need to share one's own emotions and feelings. Is it possible to create a work of art if there is none these emotions and the need to share them?

- and what are the basic motivations of people to do something?
-- unconscious survival mechanisms - hunger, fear, aggression, lust, ...
-- fear of dying (one must be aware of the existence of death) ?
-- exploration (as an altruistic motivation perhaps) --- if we would one day understand that we have answers to everything questions whether past or future or still would be motivation to do something except eating?
-- power (as egoistic motivation respectively)
-- maybe something else that does not follow from the above?
Walker

Re: motivations of life development

Post by Walker »

nemos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 am Since the topic of artificial intelligence, which is able to create and make decisions, is becoming more and more relevant, I had a question about what makes us, including humans, move forward and struggle with decisions and their implementation.

- can artificial intelligence have motivation? -- let's say art arose from the need to share one's own emotions and feelings. Is it possible to create a work of art if there is none these emotions and the need to share them?

-- exploration (as an altruistic motivation perhaps) --- if we would one day understand that we have answers to everything questions whether past or future or still would be motivation to do something except eating?
The root of all those motivations is self-concept. What you do, you do to maintain or reaffirm self-concept. For example, the wise guy’s self-concept keeps him wiseing off.
nemos

Post by nemos »

The English language causes me some difficulties, so I'm not sure that I completely understand the term "self-concept", google doesn't give a very clear answer, but I assume that it could have something to do with the ability to be aware of yourself, and the resulting questions "who am I", " why am I", ...

The question then becomes:
- can AI have a self-concept?
- and "unconscious survival mechanisms" I think work well even without self-concept. At least the behavior of all living organisms is regulated to one degree or another by these mechanisms?

Self-concept should shape the nuances, but it is unlikely to affect the basics.
After all, the fact that we are aware that we want to eat does not fundamentally affect the need to eat.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

eating that which one finds pleasurable often quenches the hunger drive in ways that mere consumption cannot...

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

nemos wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 am Self-concept should shape the nuances, but it is unlikely to affect the basics.
After all, the fact that we are aware that we want to eat does not fundamentally affect the need to eat.
Nope, self-concept is number one. It is the root. If you care to keep the discussion going, I'll stay with it until you are convinced. And, I won't use run-on sentences.

Self-concept drives the basics in this sense: You cherish yourself, so you take care of yourself. To do that you eat, you drink, you sleep, you breathe.

When you do not cherish yourself in the extreme, then you stop doing these things. If you keep drinking alcohol you still cherish yourself because you are cherishing how miserable or happy you are when you drink alcohol.

Or, if you eat too much you cherish the pleasure that gives you.

If you're mindful of your diet because you want to look your best, obviously this is based on self-cherishing.

Self-concept will even override the survival instinct, when one cherishes the self-concept more than survival, which happens.
Walker

Post by Walker »

(continued)

When the self-concept is threatened or taken away by external forces, one will defend it or try to get it back, then it will either be recovered or the self-concept will change.

This is why we live in our minds, why self-concept is the root motive-force.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Example dialogue of a self-concept overriding survival instinct:

Id: “I’m the best damn driver on these North Carolina back roads, I’ll tell you that. It’s a tradition here, a way to show you’re a real man around these parts, and since I can drive faster than anyone, I guess you know what that makes me. So how 'bout it. Let’s take a ride.”

iot: Okay.
Walker

Post by Walker »

nemos wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 am The English language causes me some difficulties,
Jack London. His use of English is wonderful. I read two of his books when English caused me some difficulties, which some-to-many would say I never got over (resolved).

:lol:
nemos

Post by nemos »

Self-concept is definitely no.1 from its own point of view. Likewise, I could claim that there is only one subject in the world and that is me. Everything and everyone else are objects that I observe.
Let's imagine a consciousness that is isolated from the body. As far as it is no.1, it shouldn't be too dependent from the body. Being isolated from the body, it will also be isolated from all senses and feelings. What then will this consciousness be aware of?
It seems to me that it is more logical to assume that the body is primary, but consciousness is not a very complete additional mechanism to help adapt to rapidly changing environmental conditions.
Another comparison could be with the host organism and the parasite, who is deeply convinced that it is nr.1, but the host organism is a survival mechanism created especially for him.

If the consciousness has already grown to the point of self-determination, then at least it would be appropriate to try to create not a parasite-host relationship, but a symbiotic one.

Do not take this text too critically, these are just very general judgments on the subject.

Post by Age »

nemos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 am Since the topic of artificial intelligence, which is able to create and make decisions, is becoming more and more relevant, I had a question about what makes us, including humans, move forward and struggle with decisions and their implementation.
What are the words 'move forward' here in relation to, exactly?

And, when and where do 'you', humans, 'struggle' with decisions, and their implementation?
nemos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 am I think the driving force behind it is motivation:
Is is NOT fairly obvious that the 'driving force' behind 'moving forward' or even 'moving backwards' or even 'side ways' would be 'motivation'?
nemos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 am - can artificial intelligence have motivation?
If a computer is 'programmed' to say always come up with 'new/er' 'things', then it could be 'argued' or 'claimed' that 'that computer' in one way or another has 'motivation', itself,
nemos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 am -- let's say art arose from the need to share one's own emotions and feelings.
We could say 'this', but would it even be remotely true to begin with?
nemos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 am Is it possible to create a work of art if there is none these emotions and the need to share them?
Yes. But then we are YET to decide and agree upon what the word 'art' means and/or refers to, exactly.
nemos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 am - and what are the basic motivations of people to do something?
HOW could it even be possible to have answers to EVERY 'thing' when living in an infinite and eternal Universe?

nemos wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 am -- power (as egoistic motivation respectively)
The 'basic motivation' of people to do some 'thing' would all solely depend on what that 'thing' is itself.

Also, after you work out and/or find out that the 'driving force' behind 'moving', itself, is 'motivation', then you may well find out the 'driving force' behind 'motivation', itself, is just 'want', or 'desire'.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:22 am

The root of all those motivations is self-concept. What you do, you do to maintain or reaffirm self-concept. For example, the wise guy’s self-concept keeps him wiseing off.
So, what is 'your' 'self-concept', exactly,"walker", and what is 'it' that 'you' do, to maintain or reaffirm 'your' 'self-concept'?
Last edited by Age on Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Consciousness and form always co-arise from infinite potentiality. Can't have one without the other. Logic tells us that because you cannot perceive all the data available to be perceived, then the limitations of your form may not permit perception of all conscious forms.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:23 am Consciousness and form always co-arise from infinite potentiality. Can't have one without the other. Logic tells us that because you cannot perceive all the data available to be perceived, then the limitations of your form may not permit perception of all conscious forms.
I HOPE that 'this' here is NOT a response to the QUESTION I ASKED 'you', "walker".

Post by Age »

nemos wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 am The English language causes me some difficulties, so I'm not sure that I completely understand the term "self-concept", google doesn't give a very clear answer, but I assume that it could have something to do with the ability to be aware of yourself, and the resulting questions "who am I", " why am I", ...

The question then becomes:
- can AI have a self-concept?
Yes, if 'it' is 'programmed' to have one.

No, it 'it' is NOT 'programmed' to have one.

Also, what "walker" MEANS or is REFERRING TO with and by the term and phrase 'self-concept' is NOT YET COMPLETELY UNDERSTOOD by some who use the "english language" neither.
nemos wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 am - and "unconscious survival mechanisms" I think work well even without self-concept. At least the behavior of all living organisms is regulated to one degree or another by these mechanisms?

Self-concept should shape the nuances, but it is unlikely to affect the basics.
Good points.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:17 am So, what is 'your' 'self-concept' "walker", which 'you' do, to maintain or reaffirm?
Age ... it's the principle, not the content.

The root motive force for a person is to defend and maintain whatever a person's self-concept is.

This is quite evident in your punctuation. Your punctuation is caused by either a defense or perpetuation of your self-concept.

Age, in the time that this is written, whatever your personal self-concept is, is your business, however if your self-concept is that you use capital letters appropriately to common useage, then you're delusional. If your self-concept is one who uses capital letters inappropriately to common useage, then you are not delusional. You will defend either a delusional or non-delusional self-concept such as inappropriate caps if anyone threatens it with a request to change.

So let it be written, so let it be done!
Last edited by Walker on Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.