Lies, Cons,and the American Way

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Lies, Cons,and the American Way

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:50 pm You dance and say nothing as though it's important to dance. Why is that?
viewtopic.php?p=674568#p674568
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:34 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:50 pm You dance and say nothing as though it's important to dance. Why is that?
viewtopic.php?p=674568#p674568
More wasted hard drive space, fancy boy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary, I think you’ll like this snappy Crank Yankers version.

viewtopic.php?p=674581#p674581
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:54 pm Gary, I think you’ll like this snappy Crank Yankers version.

viewtopic.php?p=674581#p674581
Moron, I didn't even click this time. Go find a forum where people will enjoy your irrelevant banter. Loser.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Oh go on. Don't be afraid. The second mouse click will make you laugh.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:05 pm Oh go on. Don't be afraid. The second mouse click will make you laugh.
Sorry, you've burned this bridge. Enjoy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:06 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:05 pm Oh go on. Don't be afraid. The second mouse click will make you laugh.
I've considered that possibility. What's that saying about heat, oven, and kitchen? I think it goes, if you can't stand the heat, find someone to kiss your ass.

You risk of regret of someday saying, “I wish I would have clicked that link.”

Gary, what's in the italics is a funny statement in light of all the folks who think they must click every link they is. You may laugh about that once you see the meaning, and it might be your only laugh of the day, the way you sound.

Another adventure awaits. Do they ever end. Some say yea, but what does the horse say?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:16 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:06 pm
I've considered that possibility. What's that saying about heat, oven, and kitchen? I think it goes, if you can't stand the heat, find someone to kiss your ass.

You risk of regret of someday saying, “I wish I would have clicked that link.”

Gary, what's in the italics is a funny statement in light of all the folks who think they must click every link they is. You may laugh about that once you see the meaning, and it might be your only laugh of the day, the way you sound.

Another adventure awaits. Do they ever end. Some say yea, but what does the horse say?
I'm not in a joking mood. Find someone else who is if that's what you want.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:16 pm
I'm not in a joking mood. Find someone else who is if that's what you want.
Well, this is no joke. Just listen to the link, assume the following words are truth, then understand how it is they are true based on the presentation of the link. Your assumptions of how it can be true is how you understand, and if there is confusion in your understanding then you seek answers from everywhere, knowing that the answer you seek can come from anywhere, at any time, in some form you may not anticipate.

This link might take you to the stillness of peace found in the motion of sound, but you need good headphones and volume. Then, as with life, you can philosophize about the journey of finding peace in the motion of the sound, which is what folks do.

Then you may understand what you don't now understand, and that is, that the peace is found in perceiving and experiencing the order of the motion that lies beyond your control, such as the motion of the ocean, and the wildness of this link.

But you know, if you're cranky, just let me have last word on this, which would be ... this posting.

Does that lie within your capacity? If it bothers you let it be.

See ya!

[Da Le] Yaleo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BGA78UG9w
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:39 am

Is the world not teetering on the apocalypse; Global climate and habitat crises, expanding and intensifying wars, pandemics? There's no God. The saints and prophets were just having psychoses that people happened to find agreeable and pleasing. Their psychoses were no less delusions. They had nothing to do with reality.

If there's a God, then God needs to get off his or her worthless ass and save life from its own self-destruction. There need to be some lightning bolts landing on all the world leaders who are sending us to destruction. The climate needs to stabilize. Diseases need to be mitigated or pacified. There need to be viable solutions to our problems. Otherwise, what good is God? Belief in God is vain and pointless otherwise.

Most people go to church for no other reason than to go to heaven when they die. Who cares what happens to the dead when they're gone? They're dead. They're in oblivion. If they want to go to church, then go there to save the living (and that which or those who may live in the future).
No. The world is not "teetering on the apocalypse". Or, at least, it is teetering no more askew than it has many times in the past. To believe it is represents a sort of egomania: a belief that what happens to almighty ME is more apocalyptic than the plagues, floods, climate changes and holocaust of the past. Snap out of it!

This same egoism is displayed in your silly statement about why most people go to church. You have no idea why most people go to church. The reasons are probably many.

If there is a God, He created a world in which people (and other animals) suffer and die. Endless theological effort (of which you appear unaware) has been spent explaining this. It's a difficult issue. But the immediate crises you mention are trivial. Why should a God who condemns everyone to death be blamed for wars or plagues? Maybe we're better off dead, and an all knowing, all loving God is bettering our lots.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Maybe we're better off dead, and an all knowing, all loving God is bettering our lots."

Who gave this god permission to decide what is better for me? That's my business, my decision, not his.
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:11 pm "Maybe we're better off dead, and an all knowing, all loving God is bettering our lots."

Who gave this god permission to decide what is better for me? That's my business, my decision, not his.
I hate to mention it, prom, but you don't get to decide when you die. "Atropos with her abhorred shears" decides, metaphorically at least. Whether God or nature has created perishable creatures is irrelevant in this regard.

It is reasonable, of course, to wonder why an all-loving God would create creatures who suffer and die, but given that this is the case, from an eternal, timeless perspective it matters little when and how we die.

Also, if God created us and is like a parent, isn't it true that parents often decide what is better for their children? Kids long for chocolate; parents feed them vegetables.

As far as "who gave this God permission": nobody. He who makes the sand castle gets to kick it down. Every child knows that.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Whether God or nature has created perishable creatures is irrelevant in this regard."

I think that point is incredibly relevant. If i am a mortal creature, it matters not why or what i do, whether i defy god or not. On the other hand, if i am immortal and end up in hell becuz i do not praise this god, my defiance is all i have left, and that is mine. That is the one thing this god cannot strip from me, ever. He can take everything else, destroy my life, drive me insane and send me to a thousand hells after i die, but he can never take my fury.

u gotta hold on to that fury!
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:19 pm "Whether God or nature has created perishable creatures is irrelevant in this regard."

I think that point is incredibly relevant. If i am a mortal creature, it matters not why or what i do, whether i defy god or not. On the other hand, if i am immortal and end up in hell becuz i do not praise this god, my defiance is all i have left, and that is mine. That is the one thing this god cannot strip from me, ever. He can take everything else, destroy my life, drive me insane and send me to a thousand hells after i die, but he can never take my fury.

u gotta hold on to that fury!
You share that opinion with Lucifer. In "Paradise Lost", Lucifer is almost noble in his defiance, while Jesus is more mamby-pamby. Hell is controversial in Christan theology. Two interesting commentaries are Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" and C.S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce". Lewis sees hell not as a Danteesque place of torment, but as a separation from the divine.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Yes, I dabbled with those many years ago. Another interesting twist is the story of Iblis in islamic theology. Iblis is considered to be the first monotheist who refused to worship anything but god. When commanded to prostrate himself before man, he refuses and is cast out.

See what i mean? Like wtf is the deal with god bro? Did he stop taking his meds or something?