Christianity and YouTube

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Christianity and YouTube

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:55 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:16 am
iambiguous wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:44 pm Where's the beef that it is the Christian God and not one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... traditions
It's the same God. You are confusing man's interpretation of the divine throughout the aeons, that created the world's religions, with God.

Good job God exists then since and from experience, it can limit the amount of pain an individual feels. Souls taken prior to great suffering.

I've been watching utube Mr Ballenm - some horrific workplace accidents a couple of accounts of poor souls being stuck in a workplace oven that gradually begins to heat and after watching I am relieved to know the power of this God.

Seems apparent God isn't willing to have heaven on Earth for everyone. Maybe heaven is earned, worked for even, heave_n.
Logically, right? 8)
Logically what?

IF there is a God is the POV you should be attempting to rationally explain to yourself the questions you pose.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:00 am
Logically what?

IF there is a God is the POV you should be attempting to rationally explain to yourself the questions you pose.
AGE, you're up!

:lol:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:42 am
Logically what?

AGE, you're up!

Whar's Age got to do with it? ..and why are you giggling at that?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:01 am
iambiguous wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:42 am
Logically what?

AGE, you're up!

Whar's Age got to do with it? ..and why are you giggling at that?
Note to Menu, Ecmandu and all the other philosophical clowns:

You explain it to him. :D
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:29 am Note to Menu, Ecmandu and all the other philosophical clowns:

You explain it to him. :D
Nobody needs to explain to me that you are an imbecile, it's obvious. :P
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Note to everyone:

Sorry, about this. I did promise to finally steer clear of ridiculous exchanges like this one. I just wanted to show you what might possibly happen to the PN forum itself if the clowns take over.

On the other hand, sure, these folks might not be construed as clowns at all by others here. They may well be greatly respected as competent philosophers. It's no less just my own "rooted existentially in dasein" personal opinion.

Also, better clowns than Nazis? 8)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:59 am Note to everyone:
Nobody gives a crap about your self wanking over your self continuosly with the same garbage: Oh please someone prove Jesus resides in heaven, I so want to believe ...bla bla bla...

iambiguous wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:59 amSorry, about this. I did promise to finally steer clear of ridiculous exchanges like this one.
Seriously? You are the one that turned the exchange into ridiculous garbage - I mean, this Ecmandu etc..can't hear your calls from PHN you fucking retard.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Note to Menu, Ecmandu and all the other philosophical clowns"

That was a nod to me and M. Anderson, mate. The other two forum members who are very familiar with both posters named. And this is a special thing we have together so don't ruin it for us please.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Taking Issue with The God Issue
Raymond Tallis argues against theist arguments in PN 99
Craig’s Arguments

William Lane Craig offers no less than eight reasons for belief that God exists. Six of them take this form: ‘God is the best explanation of…’. According to Craig, He (God, that is) explains: 1) Why there is something rather than nothing; 2) The origin of the universe; 3) The applicability of mathematics to the physical world; 4) The fine-tuning of the universe for intelligent life; 5) Intentional states of consciousness; and 6) Objective moral values and duties. Impressive or what?
Yes, but as with my reaction to Craig in the 17 videos above, all he really provides are arguments. Words defending other words. Whereas I'm asking those like Craig and IC and other Christians here to go beyond "God is the best explanation" for this or that. After all, won't most of these folks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... traditions

...tell you the same thing about their God or spiritual path?

If the Christian God did create the Heavens and the Earth and did raise Himself from the dead, where is the hard evidence to substantiate it?

Empirical, experiential, experimental evidence that, once atheists and agonistics and those who worship other Gods are exposed to it, it will simply blow their minds. "I can't deny this! No one can!! The Christian God does exist!!!"
Some of these reasons are more clearly vulnerable than others. For example, the very idea of ‘objective moral values and duties’ is contested by some. Others would argue that, objective or not, there are biological, and/or psychological, and/or sociological bases for moral codes, rather than God.
Whether contested or not, the bottom line [mine] remains the same: arguing for this or that moral code is one thing, demonstrating that all rational men and women are obligated to embrace your own another thing altogether.

Given a particular context. And, Christian or atheist, I always challenge all moral objectivists to attempt that. It's just that if Christians can accomplish it, it includes immortality and salvation in turn for the faithful.
Yet others would point out that God, far from supplying the basis for morality, has, according to his fanzine the Bible, not only behaved amorally Himself, but has also inspired dreadful behaviour (torture, murder, oppression etc.) in His subjects.
Ah, His mysterious ways. And the Subjects ignorance of them.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

I'll stay focused on the Resurrection. Looking for the hard evidence that in fact Jesus Christ did rise from the dead. Again, it's one thing to go back and forth regarding the historical existence of someone who called himself Jesus being around back then, riling up the authorities and being executed for it.

But resurrection from the grave in a No God world...how might that even be possible? It's what most call the "supernatural". So, if I do come upon something in these videos that truly does startle me -- something, in other words, that makes me doubt my own doubt about Christianity -- trust me: you'll be the first to know.

4 Proofs of the Resurrection - Lee Strobel from The Case for Christ: https://youtu.be/FT4Cj-Pi4m0?si=2MvoPabwFFkjvtK7

Here, however, we have someone who was once an atheist. So, he creates this video in order to explain what changed his mind. What evidence did he come upon that changed his mind?

Well, there were four "categories" that convinced him.

Jesus did die after the crucifixion. Lee Strobel informs us that no one doubts that: "We have no record of anyone, anywhere surviving a full Roman crucifixion. Even the peer reviewed Journal of the American Medical Association...said, 'clearly the weight of the evidence indicates that Jesus was dead even before the wound in His side was inflicted.' Even the atheist Gerd Lüdemann said, "historically it's indisputable that Jesus was dead."

Okay, a mere mortal who called himself the Son of God was executed back then. He died on the cross.

"The second category of evidence is the early accounts for the resurrection. I used to think as an atheist that the resurrection was just a legend...but what I learned is that we have preserved a creed of the earliest Christian church..,a creed that is an eyewitness report of the resurrection of Jesus. Now this creed has been dated back by scholars to within months of the death of Jesus. That is historical gold."

Huh? What am I missing here? A "creed" of the "Christian church"? What are these documented early accounts such that beyond all doubt they prove He was resurrected? Just image the nature of documented accounts we have today regarding the death of someone famous. Now, imagine, him or her being resurrected. The accounts of this extraordinary event would come pouring in from media around the globe. They would be scrutinized and confirmed such that who could doubt the sheer accumulation of evidence?

The third category is "the empty tomb". And the best evidence for that "is that even the opponents of Jesus admitted the tomb was empty. And when the disciples pointed out that Jesus had risen what the opponents pointed out was that the disciples stole the body."

In other words, "everyone is conceding the tomb was empty...how did it get empty?"

And this takes us to the fourth category: "There were eyewitnesses."

"For most of what we know about ancient history, it comes from one or maybe two sources of information. And yet for the conviction of the disciples that they encountered the resurrected Jesus we have no fewer than nine ancient sources...inside and outside the New Testament...confirming and corroborating the conviction of the disciples that they encountered the risen Christ. That is an avalanche of historical data."

Okay, someone please note the sources outside the New Testament. And what exactly are they confirming?

Suppose Pope Francis were to die tomorrow. Suppose there were then reports that he had risen from the dead. How hard would it be to prove that he had died? How hard would it be to prove that he was back from the grave?

What is the strongest evidence outside the Bible that Christ had risen from the dead? Because if that proof is in fact conclusive, I would certainly take more seriously the belief that He was the Son of God. After all, to the best of my knowledge no mere mortal has ever been resurrected from the grave. So, sure, overwhelming proof that Jesus Christ had been resurrected would be extraordinary news.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

"Atheist On Easter And Jesus Resurrection" https://youtu.be/zuOjJpH-AUM?si=wm3Tzdxh_NRwbwSw

This guy's argument basically revolves more around attempting to reconcile Christ dying for our sins with the fact He is then resurrected from the dead.

How much sense does that make?

Imagine someone sacrificing his or her life today for one or another "cause". And he or she does not believe in God. Let alone is God.

Now that is a sacrifice.

With Jesus though not only is He able to resurrect Himself from the grave but He was never not Himself God the whole time.

I just don't grasp why He is revered -- worshipped and adored -- for something that, for the rest of us, would be a completely different experience.

Mere mortals today can sacrifice their own lives for one or another God. But unlike Christ, they have no capacity whatsoever to resurrect themselves. Sure, they have taken a leap of faith to God, but they have no way of really knowing that this God does in fact exist. Let alone that in 40 days they will ascend to Heaven.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

‘Is there a God?’: Piers Morgan grills astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson: https://youtu.be/zoNViivs3U8?si=ZTEmdouP_FScHEgp
Piers Morgan: How much do you think we know and do not know about what's out there?

Neil deGrasse Tyson: That's a great question and I can actually quantify that answer so there's there are these things this dark matter you might have heard about so dark matter is 85 it's responsible for 85 percent of the gravity in the universe and we have no idea what it is but we can measure it there's Dark Energy responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe we can measure that but we don't know what's causing it and then you add up all of these sort of what these forces are doing in the universe it's 96 of what's driving the universe and all the forces of nature that we know and love gravity uh electromagnetism the strong and weak nuclear forces life chemistry biology physics that's in four percent of the universe so we know enough about the universe to quantify our ignorance. So we know four percent of what's going on out there but also keep in mind that as the area of our knowledge grows so too does the perimeter of our ignorance and that is the very soul of science that their questions people say what questions do you want answered yeah I don't think that way I think what question do I not even yet know.
The Gap and Rummy's Rule of course!
Morgan: Now I know you're an avowed atheist how can you be so certain that there is no Supernatural god-like entity out there given that we know so little?

Tyson: Well, first I I don't count myself among the ranks of a valid atheists and I'll give a fast example why...a friend of mine went up to fix the Hubble telescope...and on my on my on my Facebook feed I said Godspeed to the Space Shuttle astronauts and then in the comment thread it said I thought you were an atheist how could you possibly say that? And so the fact that I gleefully said that and atheists complained about it clearly I'm not an atheist.
Here [3:00] Tyson basically encompasses my own frame of mind: he just doesn't know!
Tyson: I will tell you is that with there are a lot of unknowns in the universe but just because they're unknowns does not mean there's a deity in the unknown...
Then he explores the history of science and religion down through the ages. First "the Gods", then "a God, the God, My God". What's crucial for him however is that science always comes first. It's not what you believe, it's what you can demonstrate.

Then they jump the shark...

An aside from Morgan...he shows a clip of Tyson on the Joe Rogan Experiences talking about vegans and animal rights. Then Tyson's mustache!

You tell me the point of that.