Is there progress?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Is there progress?

Post by Gary Childress »

What is progress? Does it happen? And if it doesn't then is there only retribution to 'restore' justice when a wrong has been committed? And if there is no progress, then how did we come to live in a society with the technological marvels that we do?

Or is there progress?
commonsense

Re: Is there progress?

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:43 pm What is progress? Does it happen? And if it doesn't then is there only retribution to 'restore' justice when a wrong has been committed? And if there is no progress, then how did we come to live in a society with the technological marvels that we do?

Or is there progress?
Progress is an advancement of a thing or its component qualities through time. But progress varies from item to item depending on what thing or quality is being observed.

For instance, in technology there is progress. In warfare there is progress. In racial tension there is little or no progress. And progress in one observer’s eyes may not be in someone else’s estimation, as in the case of the overturning of Roe.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:17 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:43 pm What is progress? Does it happen? And if it doesn't then is there only retribution to 'restore' justice when a wrong has been committed? And if there is no progress, then how did we come to live in a society with the technological marvels that we do?

Or is there progress?
Progress is an advancement of a thing or its component qualities through time. But progress varies from item to item depending on what thing or quality is being observed.

For instance, in technology there is progress. In warfare there is progress. In racial tension there is little or no progress. And progress in one observer’s eyes may not be in someone else’s estimation, as in the case of the overturning of Roe.
But is progress for some progress for all if it comes at the expense of others? Or is there only ever conflict between subjective entities in this world? Is progress possible or impossible?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:21 pm

Or is there progress?

But is progress for some progress for all if it comes at the expense of others? Or is there only ever conflict between subjective entities in this world? Is progress possible or impossible?
I am lead to say that universal progress is not possible. Or perhaps only possible in exceptional cases, though Í can think of none.

How would you answer the questions if posed to you?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:44 pm

I am lead to say that universal progress is not possible. Or perhaps only possible in exceptional cases, though Í can think of none.

If someone asked me that question, I would have to say I do not know. I can't think of any clear-cut cases of "progress" that did not involve some gaining at the expense of others. Perhaps there are such cases and I just haven't heard of them.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:50 pm

If someone asked me that question, I would have to say I do not know. I can't think of any clear-cut cases of "progress" that did not involve some gaining at the expense of others. Perhaps there are such cases and I just haven't heard of them.
I look at it differently as I define progress as movement not solely positive movement.

Thus to me, due to memory of what works and doesn't work, humans make "progress" towards their goals by refining processes that move towards their goals. Whether they choose goals that an observer subjectively labels as good or bad is besides the point.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

LuckyR wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:56 pm

I look at it differently as I define progress as movement not solely positive movement.

Thus to me, due to memory of what works and doesn't work, humans make "progress" towards their goals by refining processes that move towards their goals. Whether they choose goals that an observer subjectively labels as good or bad is besides the point.
OK. So the Nazis were moving toward a goal. Eichman made sure the trains ran on time. Is whether the Nazis were right or not also "beside the point"?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:06 pm

OK. So the Nazis were moving toward a goal. Eichman made sure the trains ran on time. Is whether the Nazis were right or not also "beside the point"?
It depends on the subject matter of the discussion. If it is describing "good" progress the genocide part is germane, if it is a discussion on train schedules (alone) it is not. As I stipulated originally I don't define "progress" as equivalent to "good progress", if you do, then my comments won't be meaningful to you. Which is okay as I'm discussing a different thing.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

LuckyR wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:17 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:06 pm

It depends on the subject matter of the discussion. If it is describing "good" progress the genocide part is germane, if it is a discussion on train schedules (alone) it is not. As I stipulated originally I don't define "progress" as equivalent to "good progress", if you do, then my comments won't be meaningful to you. Which is okay as I'm discussing a different thing.
Fair enough.

Now what do we do about the Iraq war? As far as I'm aware, Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Is the Hague going to issue an "arrest" warrant for George Bush too?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:43 pm What is progress?
Progress is a change toward the better.
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:43 pm Does it happen?
Sure it happens. Look at life.