SAY "NO" TO ARMAGEDDON

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

SAY "NO" TO ARMAGEDDON

Post by Gary Childress »

Everything I'm seeing in the news is grim.

But is it true?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/xi ... 2f37&ei=21

Is Xi Jinping a good man? Is he a dictator and if so, is he a benevolent or good dictator?

From the article:
Burton, a former Canadian diplomat posted in Beijing, points to Xi's failing domestic and foreign policies, especially the "cratering economy." "They have got some problems," said President Joe Biden about China earlier this month. "That's not good, because when bad folks have problems, they do bad things."
What about Biden? Is Biden a good man? Is he a benevolent or good president?

What about all the leaders in all the governments? Are they benevolent or good people?

What about each and every one of us? Are we benevolent or good people?

Is the world on the precipice?
commonsense

Re: SAY "NO" TO ARMAGEDDON

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:20 pm Everything I'm seeing in the news is grim.

But is it true?

Is Xi Jinping a good man? Is he a dictator and if so, is he a benevolent or good dictator?

From the article:
Burton, a former Canadian diplomat posted in Beijing, points to Xi's failing domestic and foreign policies, especially the "cratering economy." "They have got some problems," said President Joe Biden about China earlier this month. "That's not good, because when bad folks have problems, they do bad things."

What about all the leaders in all the governments? Are they benevolent or good people?

I think the world is always standing on the precipice, neither is stepping back from calamity nor jumping into it.

I do worry about leaders, but chiefly those in nations with nuclear capabilities.

I don’t know if benevolence will win out over geopolitical goals.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

I recommend following on YouTube

"China in Focus"
https://m.youtube.com/@ChinainFocusNTD

&

"China Uncensored"
https://m.youtube.com/@ChinaUncensored

Two good news channels on China.

China is in Deflation and the month of August by some analysts runs the highest risk of the PRC invading the ROC's outlying islands. China Uncensored had a podcast recently on it.

No, Xi isn't a good moral leader. You don't climb to the top of the CCP with clean hands. It's a constant power struggle. A very bloody one. Jiang Zemin, a recently deceased (pretty sure Xi killed him after the party congress recently) former chairman was the one doing all the live organ harvesting of political and religious prisoners. It's for high ranking officials and medical tourism. If you need a new heart you can fly to China and have it cut out of a 20 something Tibetan or Uighyr for a little money. You can even meet them prior if you want.

Xi could of put a end to this but he didn't.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:15 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:20 pm Everything I'm seeing in the news is grim.

But is it true?

From the article:

I think the world is always standing on the precipice, neither is stepping back from calamity nor jumping into it.

I do worry about leaders, but chiefly those in nations with nuclear capabilities.

It doesn't even necessarily take "evil" people to start a catastrophic war. It could all start with an accident, miscalculation or misunderstanding during high tensions. Someone has to be an adult and be the first to show what rationality, understanding and compassion are, and pretend the guy in the trench on the other side of the barbed wire is just as human as we are.

So far I see Putin showing some restraint. We seem to be the first ones to initiate the use of cluster ammo. If he continues to show restraint on his side, then Putin wins some undeniable humanitarian points on that decision by the morons in Washington, DC. As usual, our politicians are playing checkers and the real game is "Go" (a Chinese game that I've heard is extremely complex and difficult to master). Or to be more accurate, this is NOT a "game", it could be live or die for many if not all of us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I just found out that apparently, AI has mastered the strategy of "Go". I do indeed hope that it is not a bad and foreboding thing. However, considering what humans did with the Atom bomb, is it safe to say that AI will not be used toward evil ends?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo_versus_Lee_Sedol
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:32 am

But is it true?

From the article:

It doesn't even necessarily take "evil" people to start a catastrophic war. It could all start with an accident, miscalculation or misunderstanding during high tensions. Someone has to be an adult and be the first to show what rationality, understanding and compassion are, and pretend the guy in the trench on the other side of the barbed wire is just as human as we are.

So far I see Putin showing some restraint. We seem to be the first ones to initiate the use of cluster ammo. If he continues to show restraint on his side, then Putin wins some undeniable humanitarian points on that decision by the morons in Washington, DC. As usual, our politicians are playing checkers and the real game is "Go" (a Chinese game that I've heard is extremely complex and difficult to master). Or to be more accurate, this is NOT a "game", it could be live or die for many if not all of us.

Putin has used a massive amount of cluster munitions. Well established fact. And he has used them on civilian targets, which is a war crime.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Constantine wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:51 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:32 am

Putin has used a massive amount of cluster munitions. Well established fact. And he has used them on civilian targets, which is a war crime.
If that is true, then both sides need to stop using them. https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/05/29/clu ... kraine-war

How long is this war going to go on? How many people are going to have to die? How close must we get to expanding the national borders being subjected to this war? How close must we get to someone accidentally starting a nuclear exchange? Can there be peace at all if no one takes good faith in the other? How do good faith negotiations ever begin without someone sticking their neck out to try to be the first one to extend goodwill?

If you've got what are in effect two rival street gangs ready to pummel each other, what are the rest of us supposed to do, let them destroy the whole neighborhood and hope for FEMA to bail us out of the collapse? There is no FEMA for Earth. No other planet is going to come along as a third party and give us aid to rebuild the human race. The ONLY ones who would potentially seriously win in this war are the wealthy. The rest of us won't benefit from any of this. They're not going to lavish the people who fight in the war with money and a meaningful society in exchange for the rest of us supplying the soldiers and factory work to build weapons to outfit those soldiers with so that they can fight and die to preserve market share.

Anyone who is willing to play roulette with Armageddon in order to hold onto power or wealth is not making a sane decision. It's a purely selfish decision that basically says, if we can't win, then everyone is going to die. It's about as ethical as an elderly person killing their grandchild in order to get an organ donation to save their own life. You're basically dooming future generations with decisions to preserve our own well-being here and now at ALL POSSIBLE EXPENSE.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

My calculations, and I'm presenting it in a easy way to do #osint searches for so you don't have to keep coming back to me as a authority:

Timetables on the Ukrainian side effecting time tables of using Cluser Munitions:

1) Ukraine has to take at least three trench networks laid out earlier this year and late last year in Zaporizhia. They have two beachheads currently to the southwestern rear across from Kherson to contest the main russian supply road, and recently bombed out every road in Crimea to cut down on russian supplies. If artillery is knocked out by ukrainian artillery, tanks supported by infantry can direct assault the defensive trenches without air power (high casualties). Problem is, the artillery is well hidden and has to be lured into firing before locating. This means ukrainian casualties. Cluster munitions are great at destroying these hidden artillery assets, but even better is a logistics drying. Russia can still resupply from the north east via trucks and some rail out of Donesk.

So you are looking up on Google maps the locations I mentioned, looking for roads and rails, and googling for recent fights and frontal advances and retreats.

2) Iran, DPRK, and China supplying artillery and tanks to Russia. No evidence beyond Iran and the DPRK supplying shells. If they switched over to rapid deployment of artillery it would seriously fuck Ukraine, and weapons like cluster munitions by both sides would radically increase. I'd be looking up stuff like sanctions, artillery, trade and Russia.

3) bombing of factories in Russia, especially Moscow. They mostly do missiles but having not looked them up, I'm guessing a Stalin legacy so Trans Ural production for artillery and cluster munitions. Also both the US and Soviets put random stuff in bunkers in tundra and forgot about them, and the paperwork rotted. Bunkers are still being located and cracked open, you never know what is inside. Most M14s currently in use by the US Army were found just this way from Korean War stocks we forgot about.

For Russia.....

Russia might hardball negotiate, as peace won't be permanent unless Ukraine is guaranteed a place in NATO as a part of the talk.... just going to be another war and another and another and another. The peace is just a period of rearming and taking the preteens of today as conscripts in 8-10 years. They are 100% certain to continue making cluster munitions. What negatively effects this is if specific sanctions targeting their use is made by the EU (not happening) hitting a unaffected industry. Also of sabotage or supply lines are cut. That's been happening alot in Russia and obviously these factories have the stuff to make a big boom in them. Think Schindler's List. That sort of sabotage is more likely, ever increasing dud rates. Also wear and tear on machinery, inability to maintain machine calibration due to skilled workers being deployed to the front as conscripts.

I'd recommend periodically googling all this, and more.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:14 am ...considering what humans did with the Atom bomb, is it safe to say that AI will not be used toward evil ends?
Currently, it seems that whatever can be used toward an evil end will be used... because it's there and someone will want to use it for one reason or another. Like that old saying, "Give a small boy a hammer and he will find that everything he encounters needs a pounding." Such unevolved/small mindsets can apply to grown people too.

So I think the question goes to: How can you convince such narrowly-focused minds of anything of a broader nature? They can't see what they're incapable of seeing (for whatever reasons and payoffs). And the entire planet is at risk from such blindness and ignorance. Other Earth civilizations have fallen into dust. Ours may too. The only thing we (each of us) perhaps have a chance of mastering is the quality of our current moment. If we are not doing that, we are imagining that life and meaning exist somewhere beyond us.