Buried Memories

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Buried Memories

Post by Harbal »

When I was very young I was quite badly bitten by my best friend’s pet tortoise, and it left me with a lifelong phobia of anything that lives in a shell. Some things that happen to us in childhood can stay with us all our lives, and significantly influence our adult personalities and behaviour. In some instances of childhood trauma, it seems we can somehow block the incident from our conscious memory, but it stays buried deep in our psyche, and can manifest in all sorts of strange ways in later life. I often wonder what might have happened to me when I was a child, that I cannot remember.

There are many strange people posting on this forum, and I thought it might be interesting to ask if any of them could account for it.
Iwannaplato

Re: Buried Memories

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:57 pm When I was very young I was quite badly bitten by my best friend’s pet tortoise, and it left me with a lifelong phobia of anything that lives in a shell. Some things that happen to us in childhood can stay with us all our lives, and significantly influence our adult personalities and behaviour. In some instances of childhood trauma, it seems we can somehow block the incident from our conscious memory, but it stays buried deep in our psyche, and can manifest in all sorts of strange ways in later life. I often wonder what might have happened to me when I was a child, that I cannot remember.

There are many strange people posting on this forum, and I thought it might be interesting to ask if any of them could account for it.
'It' being their strangeness or the source of their strangeness or the fact that there are so many strange people posting here?

In any case I find it hard to imagine many will acknowledge their strangeness and then attribute it to childhood trauma. Uniqueness, perhaps. Their insight, perhaps.

Yeah, I write weird shit cause my stepdad did X to me when I was 7.

I find it hard to believe people will be will to ad hom themselvves in this way.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:38 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:57 pm When I was very young I was quite badly bitten by my best friend’s pet tortoise, and it left me with a lifelong phobia of anything that lives in a shell. Some things that happen to us in childhood can stay with us all our lives, and significantly influence our adult personalities and behaviour. In some instances of childhood trauma, it seems we can somehow block the incident from our conscious memory, but it stays buried deep in our psyche, and can manifest in all sorts of strange ways in later life. I often wonder what might have happened to me when I was a child, that I cannot remember.

'It' being their strangeness or the source of their strangeness or the fact that there are so many strange people posting here?

In any case I find it hard to imagine many will acknowledge their strangeness and then attribute it to childhood trauma. Uniqueness, perhaps. Their insight, perhaps.

I find it hard to believe people will be will to ad hom themselvves in this way.
You never know, something interesting might come of it. 🙂
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:53 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:38 pm

You never know, something interesting might come of it. 🙂
You're right. It'd be lovely.
Maia

Post by Maia »

I had a pretty strong fear of enclosed spaces when I was little, and I'm still somewhat claustrophobic now. I can't remember any specific incident when I was actually trapped somewhere, though. I always hated long car journeys, for example, and would often kick up quite a fuss about the prospect.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Maia wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:41 pm

I had a pretty strong fear of enclosed spaces when I was little, and I'm still somewhat claustrophobic now. I can't remember any specific incident when I was actually trapped somewhere, though. I always hated long car journeys, for example, and would often kick up quite a fuss about the prospect.
But you seem to be quite normal; you don't come across as strange at all, so it doesn't seem to have had any long term effects, unless you are good at hiding the symptoms. 🙂
Maia

Post by Maia »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:34 pm
Maia wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:41 pm

But you seem to be quite normal; you don't come across as strange at all, so it doesn't seem to have had any long term effects, unless you are good at hiding the symptoms. 🙂
Thanks. Well, I don't kick and scream at the thought of getting into a car any more, no matter how much I might secretly want to...
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Man is an individual only because of his intangible memory.

So, man is an individual only because of his intangible memory... and memory cannot be defined, but it defines mankind. The advent of computers, and the subsequent accumulation of incalculable data has given rise to a new system of memory and thought parallel to your own.

Welcome to the zombie jamboree. The eternal dance of dead and buried memories.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

What about David Icke, wearing a shell suit?
And how do you feel about nuts?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

When I was a child me and my brother used to play with real 19thC Cavalry Sabres, reputed to be US cavalry swords fro the time of the Indian Wars. Imagine my horror when my brother lost the top of his little finger...

Ever since then I've been scared of any kind of finger: Cadburys chocolate fingers, sponge fingers, and even the plant called "Ladies Fingers".
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:55 pm
What about David Icke, wearing a shell suit?
If only that had been the strangest thing about him.
And how do you feel about nuts?
I try to stay neutral on that subject.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I used to get traumatised by Dr Who eposides, especially the ones involving cybermen. I think I might be irrationally afraid if I encountered a cyberman today...
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:23 pm I used to get traumatised by Dr Who eposides, especially the ones involving cybermen. I think I might be irrationally afraid if I encountered a cyberman today...
I don't remember watching any episodes with the cybermen in; I only remember the daleks. They seemed quite scary at the time -I would have been seven or eight, but at least you knew they couldn't chase you upstairs.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:35 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:23 pm I used to get traumatised by Dr Who eposides, especially the ones involving cybermen. I think I might be irrationally afraid if I encountered a cyberman today...
I don't remember watching any episodes with the cybermen in; I only remember the daleks. They seemed quite scary at the time -I would have been seven or eight, but at least you knew they couldn't chase you upstairs.
Hmm. I seem to remember later episodes where they could 'float' upstairs. By that age I could recognise 'taking the piss' quite easily.