Why is everything so Ugly now?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Why is everything so Ugly now?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:54 pm
Age wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:45 pm
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:21 pm Beauty invokes an intuitive reaction that people must resist, otherwise we'd fight over it, the Rites to it.
Here is ANOTHER PRIME example of just how LITTLE they KNEW ABOUT 'thoughts' and 'thinking', back then.
As long as there are human beings, there will be as much 'ignorance' as 'enlightenment'.
If this is what the 'thoughts' and 'thinking' in that head ASSUMES or BELIEVES is true, then so be it.
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:54 pm The world is never going to be perfectly homogenous, fluid, or anything else unless it is run by computers that are mechanically incapable of doing anything other than specifically what they have been programmed or designed by a particular individual or group of individuals to do.
What are you on about here now?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

promethean75 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:07 ambecuz
Btw prom, your Communist revolution is right around the corner...
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:08 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:28 pm
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:11 pm
So Western beauty standards haven't changed much, just expanded to include more of the general population, and especially all those (immigrants and new worlders) who climb out of the lower class?
We see things differently in some ways. You see a change in the ideal of 'beauty' whereas I see a change in what is considered socially acceptable. However, I think we both agree that the individuals pictured on the right are generally less 'beautiful' (or "uglier") than the ones in the pictures on the left.
AND ANY one here could have CHOSEN OTHER pictures in the same date range, and then WROTE, 'Why is everything so Beautiful now?', and you STILL would have AGREED that the individuals pictured on the left are generally more 'beautiful' (or less 'uglier') than the ones in the pictures on the right.
That is true, in some ways, however, in terms of media and culture, beauty (especially for women) was highlighted or emphasized more (to whatever extent) in the early to mid part of the 20th century in the US than it is today. If there were people who deliberately tried to be ugly (tattoos, body piercing, deviance in various forms) they were not featured in fashion as prominently then as now. It seems to me that there are a few constants in terms of beauty that are more or less biologically (reproductively) bounded. I suspect a physically and mentally productive or healthy female is always going to be viewed by the majority of males as more attractive and an extremely obese and unhealthy individual is going to be seen as less attractive. I suspect that overeating is a biological indicator to us that there is no need to become sexually active. There is plenty of food and no need to overpopulate to the point where food would become scarce. However, if there is widespread scarcity and shortage, then sexuality is heightened to accommodate for shortened life expectancy and infant mortality.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Btw prom, your Communist revolution is right around the corner..."

i wouldn't know what to do with myself if capitalism were ever abolished. remember what I told your homeboy Guide over at ILP when he petitioned Dugin to save us?

there are many ways to produce that higher kind of man - the anarchist of the propagande par le fait type against whom everyone compared is merely 'the last man' - but fascism is guaranteed to produce the most fertile soil out of which the best of these grow.

if there is anything worth addressing here, it is whether or not such an anarchist becomes criminal out of his 'thrill of the fight', or if he is in fact stirner's involuntary egoist who puts before his love of the fight, some sacred cause to justify his deed; in most cases it is 'for the benefit of the working classes', and the anarchist appears as the strong arm of the communists who haven't the gusto to do the dirty work themselves. this is unfortunate. only very rarely do we find the criminalist anarchist type who has reached those lofty stirnerite heights that nietzsche speaks about with his ubermensch. what would be a ceasar with the soul of a christ, if not such an anarchist? that middle ground between diametrically opposed theses (bourgeois and pleb) who neither desires or needs to lead or follow, but retains that love of the fight.

Now imagine how boring and listless I would be if the world got it shit together and morons like u stopped existing. What would I do with myself?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:32 pm Why is everything so Ugly now?

Yeah! Why the fuck doesn't Ed Sheeran look like a movie star in a film still or studio release?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

it doesn't even matter that the chord progression in Gaye's 'let's get it on' is common and recurrent enough in music (essentially the argument that won him the trial). what matters is that he probably wouldn't have written 'thinking out loud' or thought of that chord arrangement without having heard Gaye's song first. that's very likely what happened. if so, technically he's still rippin off Gaye becuz Gaye put that chord arrangement in his head.

discuss.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

promethean75 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:53 pm"Btw prom, your Communist revolution is right around the corner..."

i wouldn't know what to do with myself if capitalism were ever abolished. remember what I told your homeboy Guide over at ILP when he petitioned Dugin to save us?

there are many ways to produce that higher kind of man - the anarchist of the propagande par le fait type against whom everyone compared is merely 'the last man' - but fascism is guaranteed to produce the most fertile soil out of which the best of these grow.

if there is anything worth addressing here, it is whether or not such an anarchist becomes criminal out of his 'thrill of the fight', or if he is in fact stirner's involuntary egoist who puts before his love of the fight, some sacred cause to justify his deed; in most cases it is 'for the benefit of the working classes', and the anarchist appears as the strong arm of the communists who haven't the gusto to do the dirty work themselves. this is unfortunate. only very rarely do we find the criminalist anarchist type who has reached those lofty stirnerite heights that nietzsche speaks about with his ubermensch. what would be a ceasar with the soul of a christ, if not such an anarchist? that middle ground between diametrically opposed theses (bourgeois and pleb) who neither desires or needs to lead or follow, but retains that love of the fight.

Now imagine how boring and listless I would be if the world got it shit together and morons like u stopped existing. What would I do with myself?
Years pass yet you are no wiser, how sad. Congratulations, you've finally earned my Pity. Now stand aside as I look down my nose upon you.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:20 pm
Age wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:08 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:28 pm

We see things differently in some ways. You see a change in the ideal of 'beauty' whereas I see a change in what is considered socially acceptable. However, I think we both agree that the individuals pictured on the right are generally less 'beautiful' (or "uglier") than the ones in the pictures on the left.
AND ANY one here could have CHOSEN OTHER pictures in the same date range, and then WROTE, 'Why is everything so Beautiful now?', and you STILL would have AGREED that the individuals pictured on the left are generally more 'beautiful' (or less 'uglier') than the ones in the pictures on the right.
That is true, in some ways,
I ABSOLUTELY and TOTALLY MESSED 'that' UP. I was MEANT TO have SAID and WRITTEN, 'right' INSTEAD OF 'left', and, 'left' INSTEAD OF 'right'.
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:20 pm however, in terms of media and culture, beauty (especially for women) was highlighted or emphasized more (to whatever extent) in the early to mid part of the 20th century in the US than it is today. If there were people who deliberately tried to be ugly (tattoos, body piercing, deviance in various forms)
WHY are you UNDER some sort of DELUSION that 'this' IS 'ugly'? Some people might see 'this' as 'beauty' or 'beautiful'.

WHY can you NOT JUST SEE and UNDERSTAND that 'beauty', and thus 'ugliness', IS IN 'the eye of the beholder', as some say, or IS 'absolutely RELATIVE TO 'the observer'?
they were not featured in fashion as prominently then as now. It seems to me that there are a few constants in terms of beauty that are more or less biologically (reproductively) bounded.
'Attractiveness', or more Correctly and more Accurately, 'attraction', itself, IS an INNATE 'instinct', which has been around FOREVER, and which is ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY NECESSARY in the Natural Order of 'things'.

'Beauty' and/or 'ugliness' ONLY came-into-being with the evolution of human created 'arts', 'modifications', and/or 'creations'.
I suspect a physically and mentally productive or healthy female is always going to be viewed by the majority of males as more attractive and an extremely obese and unhealthy individual is going to be seen as less attractive.
What about the MOST so-called and so-labeled 'mentally productive' and thus 'MOST mentally healthy' female but who is also in the MOST largest female body?

Do you find 'this one' MORE or LESS 'attractive'?

AND, more or less 'attractive' to WHO and/or WHAT, EXACTLY?

Furthermore, are 'you' YET AWARE that what you find 'attractive' "others" may well NOT AT ALL, and vice-versa?
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:20 pm I suspect that overeating is a biological indicator to us that there is no need to become sexually active.
Thus, 'this' 'diagnosis of human thinking and perception', which you have just shared here with us, might be the very reason WHY 'you' are NOT sexually attractive to ANY woman. 'you' may well appear to have NO need to be 'sexually active' ANYMORE.

By the way, do you REALLY BELIEVE that the human bodies that weigh more than others are ACTUALLY an indication of NO need to become sexually active or are NOT sexually active?
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:20 pm There is plenty of food and no need to overpopulate to the point where food would become scarce. However, if there is widespread scarcity and shortage, then sexuality is heightened to accommodate for shortened life expectancy and infant mortality.
REALLY?

Here we have a GREAT example of WHERE, WHEN, and HOW these people, back then, WOULD say just about ANY 'thing', which they HOPED WOULD 'fit in WITH' what they were ALREADY currently ASSUMING or BELIEVING was true.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Age wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:58 pmLook AT the heading of your threads, and the words that you USE in your threads, you are 'fishing' for people TO BITE.

you ASK QUESTIONS, in the HOPE that you WILL GET OPPOSITION. So then you can EXPRESS YOUR VIEWS, in the hope that you WILL GET TO SHOW that you ARE right and they are wrong, which you HOPE would make you look FAR MORE SUPERIOR than "others" are, which is what you 'currently' BELIEVE is true, right?
Trolling presumes an intent to fool or misdirect people. I haven't done that in this thread. I want to see how and why Western society has decayed and so quickly, with regard to Beauty.

I have my own suspicions of course. I suspect that the 1950's Beauty standards are now reserved only for the wealth, white, coastal liberal self-proclaimed 'Elitists'. So they are allowed to adulate, honor, preserve, and have (sexual) access to Beauty, but no longer the middle class or the poor. Thus the 1950s Beauty standards have become private, and hidden, rather than publicly displayed as before.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

promethean75 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:03 pm it doesn't even matter that the chord progression in Gaye's 'let's get it on' is common and recurrent enough in music (essentially the argument that won him the trial). what matters is that he probably wouldn't have written 'thinking out loud' or thought of that chord arrangement without having heard Gaye's song first. that's very likely what happened. if so, technically he's still rippin off Gaye becuz Gaye put that chord arrangement in his head.

discuss.
Marvin Gaye is black so Wizard would want him on the right side photo with Sheeran and so technically he wouldn't give a shit about Marvin Gaye's estate. Further Gaye was a musician and in Wizard's lost Brigadoon, it's just beautiful film stars with the gay ones pretending they weren't. What should we focus on: melody, chords, how 'bout all the rhythms stolen without compensation (pardon the redundancy) from the black community opening genres. Chord progressions seem weaker to me, given their nearly necessary simplicity in pop/rock. I haven't even listende to Sheeran's song, though I know the Gaye one well. I guess I wish his survivors well unless they were on his dad's side of that beef. None of this is helping Gaye or the other guy he wrote the song Let's Get it on with and who layed down some inspiring chords that Gaye and he built from.

Wizard wouldn't like any of these guys. He likes a 'non-gay' Cary Grant standing next to Ingrid Bergman as the studio organized romantic pair.
Rock Hudson looking past a dark-haired starlet at the more Aryan Tippi Hedren.

Pop music is romantic. Wizard likes classical values and stasis.
The phrase 'chord progression' has already turned him off, with it's implications of change.

Statues.

Perfection.

Classical torpidity.

It's like a memory of the womb.

Were you there in the womb? No. Get out of the way.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so they say. In other words, how can one possibly judge what is beautiful to one person, or ugly to another?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:20 amMarvin Gaye is black so Wizard would want him on the right side photo with Sheeran and so technically he wouldn't give a shit about Marvin Gaye's estate. Further Gaye was a musician and in Wizard's lost Brigadoon, it's just beautiful film stars with the gay ones pretending they weren't. What should we focus on: melody, chords, how 'bout all the rhythms stolen without compensation (pardon the redundancy) from the black community opening genres. Chord progressions seem weaker to me, given their nearly necessary simplicity in pop/rock. I haven't even listende to Sheeran's song, though I know the Gaye one well. I guess I wish his survivors well unless they were on his dad's side of that beef. None of this is helping Gaye or the other guy he wrote the song Let's Get it on with and who layed down some inspiring chords that Gaye and he built from.

Wizard wouldn't like any of these guys. He likes a 'non-gay' Cary Grant standing next to Ingrid Bergman as the studio organized romantic pair.
Rock Hudson looking past a dark-haired starlet at the more Aryan Tippi Hedren.

Pop music is romantic. Wizard likes classical values and stasis.
The phrase 'chord progression' has already turned him off, with it's implications of change.

Statues.

Perfection.

Classical torpidity.

It's like a memory of the womb.

Were you there in the womb? No. Get out of the way.
Your words are cutting Ivana...what have I done to deserve such animosity? :twisted:
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Maia wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:28 amBeauty is in the eye of the beholder, so they say. In other words, how can one possibly judge what is beautiful to one person, or ugly to another?
No eyes, no beauty then?

No...you can hear beauty in song, classical compositions in particular. There is a brilliance in symphonies and concertos that others cannot replicate.

Hence why Jazz fans like Prom and Ivana feel the need to compensate with lesser quality music...
Maia

Post by Maia »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:40 am
Maia wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:28 amBeauty is in the eye of the beholder, so they say. In other words, how can one possibly judge what is beautiful to one person, or ugly to another?
No eyes, no beauty then?

No...you can hear beauty in song, classical compositions in particular. There is a brilliance in symphonies and concertos that others cannot replicate.

Hence why Jazz fans like Prom and Ivana feel the need to compensate with lesser quality music...
Yes, I'm well aware that beauty is not confined to the visual, thanks.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Maia wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:43 amYes, I'm well aware that beauty is not confined to the visual, thanks.
Oh you were being ironic then...forgive me for ruining your joke.