Consciousness requires something more than functionality isomorphic to Turing Machine?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: Consciousness requires something more than functionality isomorphic to Turing Machine?

Post by Impenitent »

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:37 pm
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:17 pm and those humans who cannot use language must not be conscious...

-Imp
Humor, I assume.
have you ever met anyone with autism?

-Imp
commonsense

Re: Consciousness requires something more than functionality isomorphic to Turing Machine?

Post by commonsense »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:41 pm
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:17 pm and those humans who cannot use language must not be conscious...

-Imp
Humor, I assume.

-Imp
No. Must they not be conscious?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:31 pm OP is still wrong, debate goes on as to whether human brains are Turing machines or not. Consciousness doesn’t need something more, there is plenty of evidence to suggest it’s just brain activity and none for the opposite.
Turing machines are a shitty model of computation. There' no need to debate it - brains are not Turing machines.

Brains can do concurrent computations - Turing Machines cannot.
Brains can perform certain computations in finite time while Turing machines cannot do it even in infinite time.
Last edited by Skepdick on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:44 pm Again you’re really not proving a mind exists just asserting there is one. Like I said we don’t really have evidence for it.
You do understand that "existence proofs" are an ill-defined notion outside of the paradigm of mathematics, right?

And the fact that you are speaking about proofs and evidence in the same sentence is all the evidence necessary that you speak mindlessly while confusing the different paradigms of thought.

The fact that humans can reify and replicate aspects of human thinking into machines which bear no physical semblance to a human brain is all the evidence nessessary that minds exist.

The software I write encodes my intentions in matter.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:54 pm
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:31 pm OP is still wrong, debate goes on as to whether human brains are Turing machines or not. Consciousness doesn’t need something more, there is plenty of evidence to suggest it’s just brain activity and none for the opposite.
Turing machines are a shitty model of computation. There' no need to debate it - brains are not Turing machines.

Brains can perform certain computations in finite time while Turing machines cannot do it even in infinite time.
Wrong
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:59 pm
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:44 pm Again you’re really not proving a mind exists just asserting there is one. Like I said we don’t really have evidence for it.
You do understand that "existence proofs" are an ill-defined notion outside of the paradigm of mathematics, right?

And the fact that you are speaking about proofs and evidence in the same sentence is all the evidence necessary that you speak mindlessly while confusing the different paradigms of thought.

The fact that humans can reify and replicate aspects of human thinking into machines which bear no physical semblance to a human brain is all the evidence nessessary that minds exist.

Also wrong
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:24 pm

Wrong
Q.E.D

Turing machines can't assert "right" or "wrong".

Which necessarily means you are wrong about me being wrong.
Last edited by Skepdick on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:52 pm
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:41 pm

Humor, I assume.

-Imp
No. Must they not be conscious?
Swing and a miss
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:25 pm

Wrong
Q.E.D

Wrong.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:59 pm

Also wrong
Wrong about me being wrong. Twice now.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:25 pm

Wrong
Q.E.D

Wrong.
Make that 3 times.
Last edited by Skepdick on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:26 pm
Q.E.D

Wrong.
Make that 3 times.
Wrong again.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:27 pm
Wrong.
Make that 3 times.
Wrong again.
Produce the algorithm which runs on a Turing Machine and determines that I am "wrong" and consider this settled...

Otherwise that's the 4th time you are wrong about me being wrong.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:28 pm
Make that 3 times.
Wrong again.
Produce the algorithm which runs on a Turing Machine and determines that I am "wrong" and consider this settled...

Otherwise that's the 4th time you are wrong about be being wrong.
You’re just wrong dude.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:30 pm
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:28 pm

Wrong again.

Otherwise that's the 4th time you are wrong about be being wrong.
You’re just wrong dude.
You are just wrong about me being wrong dude.