The mind of AI

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: The mind of AI

Post by Dontaskme »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:16 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:15 pmPost a picture of this ''you'' that feels and senses?
Your nudes first, AI.
If you cannot post a picture of the ''you'' that feels and senses, then just say so, it's about being honest.

If you can post a picture of 'you' then do show.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:27 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:15 pmPost a picture of this ''you'' that feels and senses?
Your nudes first, AI.
If you cannot post a picture of the ''you'' that feels and senses, then just say so, it's about being honest.

DAM, you're in a standoff with a person who spends all their online time on the forum denouncing everyone else's "inferiority" (including racial) compared to him. It aint gonna happen. Free yourself before you become overly invested. If it's a chatbot you'll go insane trying to reason with it. If it's a human being you'll go insane trying to get him or her to figure out when game time is over.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:38 pm
Your nudes first, AI.

DAM, you're in a standoff with a person who spends all their online time on the forum denouncing everyone else's "inferiority" (including racial) compared to him. It aint gonna happen. Free yourself before you become overly invested. If it's a chatbot you'll go insane trying to reason with it. If it's a human being you'll go insane trying to get him or her to figure out when game time is over.
It's ok Gary, I won't be driven insane by wizz kid. This DAM is not for busting. :D

I rather like laughing at myself, in fact I think I will probably die laughing, when that time comes, and I'm quite relaxed and cool about being entertained by the characters within this artificial dream of separation, so whether I live laughing, or die laughing, I have no particular preference. It's the funniest movie I've ever watched. :lol:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:45 pm

It's ok Gary, I won't be driven insane by wizz kid. This DAM is not for busting. :D

I rather like laughing at myself, in fact I think I will probably die laughing, when that time comes, and I'm quite relaxed and cool about being entertained by the characters within this artificial dream of separation, so whether I live laughing, or die laughing, I have no particular preference. It's the funniest movie I've ever watched. :lol:
I'm glad you're having fun. Just don't get too caught up in it is my advice. Been there done that.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:50 pm

I'm glad you're having fun. Just don't get too caught up in it is my advice. Been there done that.
It's caught me, and there ain't nothing I can do about that. So might as well, ride the wave, since it's inseparable from the ocean.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:02 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:50 pm

It's caught me, and there ain't nothing I can do about that. So might as well, ride the wave, since it's inseparable from the ocean.
Whatever. Have fun.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:08 pm

Whatever. Have fun.
Is there any alternative?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:14 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:08 pm

Whatever. Have fun.
Is there any alternative?
I don't know. I try to self-regulate, but even that doesn't seem to please everyone around me. And when others around me aren't pleased, then I'm not pleased either. I used to joke about EVERYTHING. Then one day the joking came to an abrupt halt when I was officially institutionalized in a hospital for the mentally ill. It pretty much broke my spirit completely. Since that day I can't even laugh at a cartoon. The ability has been utterly wrenched out of my mind.

I'm not sure if it was an act of God or if the psychiatrist who committed me made the decision that crippled my spirit for the rest of my life all by himself. All I know is that directly before I was institutionalized I was having hyper-religious thoughts (even though I tried to be an atheist at the time). Most of them involved divine retribution. Maybe there's a God or maybe it's a cultural thing. I also get hyper-delusional thoughts that revolve around dark plots of secular movies I've seen. So it could just be a culmination of things I've internalized as a particular person growing up in society in the US. I don't know. Punishment, retribution, and things like that weigh heavily in my mind as a result.

In any case, I've found that I am not free to say anything and everything I want. Others take notice and (whether rightfully or wrongfully) they do what they think is the right thing to do with me. However, when I was first committed I was in mental paralysis babbling incoherently to the people who drove me to the hospital. For all intents and purposes, it could have been an act of God. I don't know. I couldn't even wipe my own butt if I had to at that point so they couldn't leave me sitting in the chair in my boss's office forever. That's what insane "asylums" are for. Were I not insane, maybe I would be embracing life, reasonably happily married, and dedicated to looking out for my kids as they grow up. (Or maybe it's a good thing I didn't have a wife and kids because I'd have just fucked up their lives.)

Whatever the case may be, joy is not an emotion I am capable of experiencing anymore. It's been torn out of me. I had it briefly after I graduated from High School (I was severely depressed growing up) but it went bye bye in the summer of 1991.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:18 pm
Wizard22 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:15 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:14 pmIf it turns out that you aren't conscious then touching yourself doesn't mean you are touching consciousness.
Touching something and feeling it, creating a feedback loop, circuit in the nervous system, does mean you are Conscious.

"Consciousness" is the entire process of experience.
The entire process of experience is the entire process of experience.

Consciousness is a fairytale.
What are you, a zombie? Chatbot? Something else?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:43 pm What are you, a zombie? Chatbot? Something else?
I am me. Which part of me is my "consciousness"?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:02 pm
I am me.
You cannot show up to your own show.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:02 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:43 pm What are you, a zombie? Chatbot? Something else?
I am me. Which part of me is my "consciousness"?
Presumably the part that saw my text and felt "challenged" by my assertion and maybe didn't "like" it. Unless you're just AI running nothing more than a sequence of mechanical steps.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:09 pm Presumably the part that saw my text and felt "challenged" by my assertion and maybe didn't "like" it. Unless you're just AI running nothing more than a sequence of mechanical steps.
That's the human part.

Which part is my "consciousnes"?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:09 pm Presumably the part that saw my text
No thing ever looked at your text.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:18 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:09 pm Presumably the part that saw my text
No thing ever looked at your text.
If you're saying that consciousness cannot be seen, touched, smelled or detected with any scientific instrument, then I agree. If you're saying that there is no such "thing" as consciousness (or that consciousness does not "exist"), then we diverge there.