humor and being ''WOKE''

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: humor and being ''WOKE''

Post by Dontaskme »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:55 am The job of the comedian is to make people laugh. Calling them 'left' or 'right' is disingenuous bullshit. It's irrelevant.
George Carlin hated both 'left' and 'right'. He was a social commentator. Liberal in the real sense of the word, as all good comedians need to be by definition.
The greatest comedian of all is one who can laugh at themself.

Although PC madness is defintely out of control, all we can do is laugh out loud, for what's the point in being offended at anything, even being murdered cannot bring on an offensive reaction. Everyone will always be themselves, and there is nothing anyone else can do about it.

Now for a woke joke.

All toothpaste and shampoo ad's have been banned.

Babies were starting to get offended.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:20 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:55 am The job of the comedian is to make people laugh. Calling them 'left' or 'right' is disingenuous bullshit. It's irrelevant.
George Carlin hated both 'left' and 'right'. He was a social commentator. Liberal in the real sense of the word, as all good comedians need to be by definition.
The greatest comedian of all is one who can laugh at themself.

Bollocks. A comedians job is to make people laugh. That's it. In fact they are often miserable fuckers in reality.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:41 pm Bollocks. A comedians job is to make people laugh. That's it. In fact they are often miserable fuckers in reality.

You cannot make another person laugh no matter how funny the joker is being.

Laughing is a completely natural spontaneous reaction, and cannot be forced.

It's just easier to be miserable, it's easier to be natural than it is to force a smile.

Misery is a mental byproduct of life's actual brute raw reality, which is not for the faint of heart. Hence the cancel culture.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:56 am
commonsense wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:49 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:06 pm

People need to shut the fuck up about 'left' or 'right'. It's a massive red herring. Haven't Americans poisoned the world enough with their bullshit? The world just isn't that black and white.
Are you saying that distinctions like far right, right centrist, independent, left centrist and radical left should instead be viewed as one? What say you?
Define them all then and I might give you an answer. How about 'science, logic and reason versus anti-science, anti-logic and anti-reason'? Simple.
Good point. Makes perfect sense.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:12 am
commonsense wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:49 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:06 pm

People need to shut the fuck up about 'left' or 'right'. It's a massive red herring. Haven't Americans poisoned the world enough with their bullshit? The world just isn't that black and white.
Are you saying that distinctions like far right, right centrist, independent, left centrist and radical left should instead be viewed as one? What say you?
Are you saying there is such a thing as 'far right', but 'left' is just 'the left'? I've never seen the extremist anti-science, anti-free speech cult of wokism referred to as anything other than 'the left'. I mean seriously? Which 'wing' does 'anti-science and anti-free speech' most resemble'? Who used children as political pawns? Did medical experiments on them? Hmmm?
Sorry, radical left could mean far left or extremist left. I should have clarified.

Right or extreme right would answer your several questions.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Katie Hopkins Hilariously TRIGGERS Woke Students In EPIC Rant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ev6UcZHZ8
vegetariantaxidermy

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:22 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:41 pm Bollocks. A comedians job is to make people laugh. That's it. In fact they are often miserable fuckers in reality.

You cannot make another person laugh no matter how funny the joker is being.

I'm pretty sure you can, which is why comedians exist. If they can't get people to laugh then they are out of a job. You really do find the most stupid things to argue about. Arguing just for the sake of it about nothing is a troll trait.
vegetariantaxidermy

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:41 pm Katie Hopkins Hilariously TRIGGERS Woke Students In EPIC Rant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ev6UcZHZ8
She's just too smug to listen to, and she always sounds as if she has a cold. A horrible woman.

I thought Back Obama made some really good points on the topic, although he says 'verb' when I think he means 'pronoun'. Must have been before we were all ordered ad-nauseum by the modern-day Gestapo to 'repect' and obey the 'pronoun' demands of narcissistic, entitled fuckwits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHLd8d ... ardianNews
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Again, just for the record...

When it comes to politics, those on both sides are basically saying, "people, it's time you woke up to what is going on!"

In other words, if you are awake [or woke] you will be thinking exactly like they do. Left or right. Liberal or conservative.

One take on it: https://www.amazon.com/Left-Not-Woke-Su ... 1509558306

So, is that funny enough for you?
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:30 pm the effect of humor is often to awaken one to the trials and
tribulations of being human.... and that is the very essential
being of "WOKE''....that Obama is quite funny..
and compare him to two people who don't even know what
the word funny means, bush Jr. and IQ45.. JFK was pretty
funny and Nixon was not....can you spot the theme of who
is funny and who is not? In fact, while thinking about it,
I can't even think of a right wing politician who is funny?

No, I can't either... woke is a left wing trait...and so is humor....

Kropotkin
Joseph Stalin, Chinese President Xi and Bernie Sanders are not funny either.
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:26 am But the most important, I think, issue around this is that so many comedians, regardless of their poltical position get hounded and attacked if they are not politically correct. That political correctness can be either right or left wing, though the left is mobilized to ban people from campuses and cut off performance sites in a way the right is not up to these days. It was the other way around when I was young.

George Carlin on Left Wing censorship....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8_YL3q1--U
Note he certainly acknowledges that the right has been capable of this.
Correct, so being funny isn't about being "Woke". It's about making fun of authority, life, and people - none of which is political. Comedy is a-political, or more libertarian which includes free speech and the middle ground between the two political parties and their authoritarian tendencies.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Being "Woke" isn't at all about being funny. Or even slightly witty. Or even plausible, for that matter. It's about convincing oneself that the entire status quo is an oppressive, tyrannical, racist patriarchy, and taking that ridiculous premise with all the seriousness of absolute scientific and historical fact, and using it to justify burning absolutely everything to the ground in the name of "diversity, equity and inclusion."

Does anybody find ANY politician today humourous?

Wokeness is positively sociopathic, and very, very full of itself, and runs on bitterness, hatred, spite and resentment. It's entirely devoid of creativity or ability to build -- though it seems adept at burning and bashing anyting others have built. It's just not good at being funny at all. It's humourless, really. And not very bright, either.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:47 pm Being "Woke" isn't at all about being funny. Or even slightly witty. Or even plausible, for that matter. It's about convincing oneself that the entire status quo is an oppressive, tyrannical, racist patriarchy, and taking that ridiculous premise with all the seriousness of absolute scientific and historical fact, and using it to justify burning absolutely everything to the ground in the name of "diversity, equity and inclusion."

Wokeness is positively sociopathic, and very, very full of itself, and runs on bitterness, hatred, spite and resentment. It's entirely devoid of creativity or ability to build -- though it seems adept at burning and bashing anyting others have built. It's just not good at being funny at all. It's humourless, really. And not very bright, either.
I hate to break this to you, IC. But there is a LOT of shit that happens in this world that causes people to be "sociopathic", bitter, hateful, and resentful. There are probably a shit load of Arabs right now who wouldn't bat an eyelash if I died horribly in a firey car explosion, just by virtue of not knowing me personally and the fact that I'm an American and one of my presidents (who I didn't vote for BTW) invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, probably resulting in the murder of countless men, women, and children who had absolutely nothing to do with the attack on the WTC on 9/11. Do you think they love me as an American any more than you 'love' "wokies"?

You're the one who believes in Yahweh and the Holy Babble. This world is a shit fest! You have two choices, IC. You can either believe that the universe was created by the God who created us in his/her image, and who inspired the Bible (that the Bible is an accurate interpretation of "God" by a bunch of mortals) or you can believe that it isn't. It's up to you. Personally, I don't hate any living being in this world. And I don't blame any living being for the shit that it/they do in this world. This world is dog eat dog, life eat life. It's disgusting to me because I can't stand the evil I see in it. It disgusts me that this shit fest might be the work of a God who designed the world to be a shitfest.

The only issue I have with you, IC, is that you think that I'm going to go to hell because I won't bow to the almighty piece of holy shit that created this universe. I can't worship, a piece of shit God, IC. I'm sorry. And I don't believe that people are inherently evil and just wanting to run around and do evil. I believe people do evil because we get traumatized, angry, scared to death and/or tortured in life. God doesn't give a shit about what happens to us. If that's the God you want to worship, then good luck. As far as I'm concerned you're worshiping Hitler or else a block of granite that doesn't give a shit one way or the other. Would you respect anyone who worshiped Hitler or a lump of granite???? If not, then you know why you really get under my skin. I would never in a million years, harm a hair on your head. But I can't stand what I perceive to be a stupid person who thinks they can spare themselves by worshiping a monster who is responsible for the murder of billions and the terror that goes on in our minds over it.

And I doubt you can even understand my anger toward you any more than a person who worshiped Hitler would be able to understand the anger of a Jew who lost loved ones in the Holocaust. This world is shit, IC. Believe what you want, I'll never knowingly or deliberately harm a hair on your head, but don't expect me to have any respect or admiration of you.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:24 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:47 pm Being "Woke" isn't at all about being funny. Or even slightly witty. Or even plausible, for that matter. It's about convincing oneself that the entire status quo is an oppressive, tyrannical, racist patriarchy, and taking that ridiculous premise with all the seriousness of absolute scientific and historical fact, and using it to justify burning absolutely everything to the ground in the name of "diversity, equity and inclusion."

I hate to break this to you, IC. But there is a LOT of shit that happens in this world that causes people to be "sociopathic", bitter, hateful, and resentful.
Of course there is. But right now, there's nothing bigger than the Wokies...at least in the developed West.

When movies like "Life of Brian" and "The Last Temptation" were produced, they were shown in public theatres. There were a few objections from conservatives, but no forced censorship, no banning, no riots, no violence. Meanwhile, the Wokies routinely mob, villify, silence or brutalize anybody who even slightly departs from their dogma. It's not even close, if we ask the question of which one has the greater tolerance for criticism, the greater willingness to allow the other side to speak, even while disagreeing with them, and the lesser inclination to violence and censorship.

There's a very good reason why all the left-wing comedians are so boring and droll that nobody wants to see them, and the remaining good comedians won't even go to places like university campuses anymore; the politically-correct don't laugh, and can't take a joke...particularly anything edgy -- they just look for every opportunity to pose as offended and burst into rage. And they simply do not tolerate criticism.

With good reason, too...their beliefs can't stand up if they're examined even minimally. Heck, they can't even tell you what a "woman" is.
vegetariantaxidermy

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:05 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:24 am

I hate to break this to you, IC. But there is a LOT of shit that happens in this world that causes people to be "sociopathic", bitter, hateful, and resentful.
Of course there is. But right now, there's nothing bigger than the Wokies...at least in the developed West.

When movies like "Life of Brian" and "The Last Temptation" were produced, they were shown in public theatres. There were a few objections from conservatives, but no forced censorship, no banning, no riots, no violence. Meanwhile, the Wokies routinely mob, villify, silence or brutalize anybody who even slightly departs from their dogma. It's not even close, if we ask the question of which one has the greater tolerance for criticism, the greater willingness to allow the other side to speak, even while disagreeing with them, and the lesser inclination to violence and censorship.

There's a very good reason why all the left-wing comedians are so boring and droll that nobody wants to see them, and the remaining good comedians won't even go to places like university campuses anymore; the politically-correct don't laugh, and can't take a joke...particularly anything edgy -- they just look for every opportunity to pose as offended and burst into rage. And they simply do not tolerate criticism.

With good reason, too...their beliefs can't stand up if they're examined even minimally. Heck, they can't even tell you what a "woman" is.
I knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself from talking about 'left wing' comedians. Why do you miss the point EVERY time? Could you please name some extreme right wing comedians? Of course you won't. There aren't any. That's because comedians don't have wings. Humour is wingless.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

The dawn of a new age in comedy, if you're 70 or older. Comedians tend ta be like those gentlemen we hear of in the news - armed with automatics and firing ... indiscriminately! You may be put in the uncomfortable situation of laughing at yerself and that too without knowing! Awesome!?

Comedians have favorites when it comes ta targets - religion and politics stand out as easy prey. Political circuses and religious madness after all, oui? What's the common denominator? I believe the OP, Mr. Peter Kropotkin, hit the bullseye on that score. Divine!