every fool judge her,
thousands pass heedlessly over her seeing nothing;
yet she has friends among all
and has her recompense from all.

Even in resisting her laws one obeys them;
and one works with her
even in desiring to work against her.
Love is her crown.
Only through love does one come near to her.
She has isolated all things
so she may bring all together.
All is eternally present in her,
for she knows neither past nor future.
For her, the present is eternity.
Dontaskme

Re: Poetry corner

Post by Dontaskme »

I personally dabble in poetry now and again. This I wrote...

in dawn and dusk
a smell of musk
fills me with lust
for belonging
i hunger
what i never lost
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I also wrote this in 2005 when I was feeling both the awe and awful which is the experience of being a sentient feeling being.

A LETTER TO THE EARTH

Dear Earth.

Thank-you very much for letting me visit you, the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced is the ability to witness you in all your glory and magnificence.Thank-you for sustaining me, breathing air in to me so that I am able to dance and express myself upon your eternal canvas of possibilities.I feel joy at the sight of your perfection and beauty.I feel sadness to see the cruelty bestowed upon you.I want to reach out and hug you,but feel powerless against the mighty force of your presence.Thank-you for feeding me and keeping me warm and safe.You are so beautiful and abundant,I can not take my eyes of you not even for a second.Your wisdom is there for all to see,for those that want to see,I wish I could see and touch all of you,but in my limitation I know that is not possible.I am so grateful to you for letting me have this brief taste of you,I will not forget you.You will live in and through me for all eternity.I hope you will recover from what is happening to you,because you deserve so much respect.Earth you will never be lonely because there are humans that are caressing you with so much love and kindness.Humans that do hurt you will eventually ask for your forgiveness,after they have opened their eyes and seen you for your true greatness and your unrelenting tolerance.They will feel sad at their unknowing stupidity.You have always loved your children unconditionally.I hope they will return to you with gratitude and realise the errors of their stupidity.Earth you are a genius in your all that is, your natural displays are breathtaking.Your abundance of plants flowers,trees, rocks, precious stones, and metals,there is no end to your creative ideas.Your millions of animals and creatures,I have treasured them with all my heart,they inspire me and have taught me many lessons.

I could have gone on forever writing this poem, but I had to stop somewhere.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:44 pm ..I have to say the "poetry" is fucking shit in this corner so far.
I think you would have been a tender lover fresh with the scent of cherry blossom, knowing how to fill my untamed cup of effervescent longing. :wink:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Another fave of mine...

GOING HOME

He came home. Said nothing.
It was clear, though, that something had gone wrong.
He lay down fully dressed.
Pulled the blanket over his head.
Tucked up his knees.
He's nearly forty, but not at the moment.
He exists just as he did inside his mother's womb,
clad in seven walls of skin, in sheltered darkness.
Tomorrow he'll give a lecture
on homeostasis in metagalactic cosmonautics.
For now, though, he has curled up and gone to sleep.

Wislawa Szymborska

I dedicate this to my beloved daughter.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:03 amI don't know a lot about poetry or poets, but I do like well written words, especially when they make me laugh. When I first decided to write a poem, to post on a forum that I was on at the time, I just looked online for the basic principles of poetry. I'm not a proper poet, by any stretch of the imagination.
Most of the "proper poets" these days aren't worth reading and hardly even write proper prose. Sometimes I'm almost convinced they start with prose, cut off the corners and create a sequence of noodles out of it. Yours at least was poetry or I never read any.
Harbal wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:03 amActually, I've never liked or been able to see much point in poetry, but during the course of my research I developed an admiration for at least some of it. I still wouldn't call myself a poetry fan, but there are a few poems that I've come across that I really like.
I guess we have that in common. I can't see much point in it even though one time I wasn't bad at writing some myself. Rhyme came easy but the interest never lasted long. But like music, there are some impossible to forget; among them is The Garden of Proserpine by Swinburne. It's almost inconceivable anyone writing something like that these days!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

And I declared that the dead,
who had already died,
are happier than the living,
who are still alive.

But better than both
is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil
that is done under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 4:2-3

Those born once will die twice and those born twice will die once — Chuck Missler
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dubious wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:41 pm
I guess we have that in common. I can't see much point in it even though one time I wasn't bad at writing some myself. Rhyme came easy but the interest never lasted long. But like music, there are some impossible to forget; among them is The Garden of Proserpine by Swinburne. It's almost inconceivable anyone writing something like that these days!
I only paid any interest to poetry because it was necessary at the time, for a specific purpose, but it did leave me with an appreciation that I didn't have before.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

A December Morning

It’s cold outside, and a misty dullness
holds the street within its damp embrace;
robs the morning sunlight of its fullness;
steals the sky; leaves nothing in its place.

I stand behind my window, gazing out
upon that scene so miserable and dull,
yet not a thing do I complain about,
because I’ve got my boiler turned up full.