Does It Matter Whether God Exists or Not?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Humanity has progressed tremendously so far, especially based on non-theistic science and other fields of knowledge without any reliance on whether God exists or not.

It is often claimed what without God there is no morality.
But note one of the greatest moral improvement is the significant reduction in Chattel Slavery when Christianity and Islam the major theistic religions condone slavery; at present all sovereign nations has laws the prohibit chattel slavery and in most cases, all forms of slavery.

I have justified;
God is an Impossibility [to be Real]
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24704

Why the majority of humans then and at present need God to exists [as real to them] is purely for psychological purposes, i.e. it has utilities as balm to soothe the cognitive dissonances arising from an inherent existential crisis.

It is likely theism have had contributed in soothing the cognitive pains of the majority of humans in the past, thus sustaining their relative well-being that is optimal to the then and present stage of evolution.

However in the last 600 years the average human has progressed tremendously so far, especially based on non-theistic science and other fields of knowledge without any reliance on whether God exists or not.
Currently there is a trend of an exponential expansion of knowledge but this is hindered by theism and philosophical realism.
The extreme with theism is that extremists Islamists could exterminate the human species with cheap easily available WMDs being contractually bound to commands of their God in the holy texts.

Since theism is driven by inherent cognitive dissonance arising from an existential crisis, where the latter cannot be got rid of, the viable solution is to wean off theism with alternative FOOLPROOF solutions to replace theism.
Therefrom it does not matter whether god exists or not.

Views?
Wizard22

Re: Does It Matter Whether God Exists or Not?

Post by Wizard22 »

Animals are Godless in Nature, yet they have morals and act in moral ways.

Therefore Morality is not confined only to God. However, there maybe aspects of advanced moral behavior, involving Self-consciousness in some few humans, which would demonstrate "Godly/Divine" qualities. These could be attributed to God, hypothetically, in a religious sense.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:10 am
I have justified;
God is an Impossibility [to be Real]
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24704

No you haven't, you have merely done what you do in every thread you start: You "justify" something to your own satisfaction and then insist every one else accepts it. Except for Peter Holmes, of course. I suspect your life would lose all purpose if he ever agreed with you.
Maia

Post by Maia »

From a Pagan perspective, I don't think it matters if the gods exist or not, and if they do, they certainly don't require worship, or even belief.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:04 am Animals are Godless in Nature, yet they have morals and act in moral ways.

Therefore Morality is not confined only to God. However, there maybe aspects of advanced moral behavior, involving Self-consciousness in some few humans, which would demonstrate "Godly/Divine" qualities. These could be attributed to God, hypothetically, in a religious sense.
I define morality as 'eliminating and managing Evil to enable its related Good'.
Killing is an evil act, but my definition of morality extends only to 'no killing of human'.
For practical and effectiveness, morality is confined only to humans and human interests. But that does not mean we must go to the extreme with animals.
If morality is extended to animals, then humans cannot kill animals for food or when human lives are threatened.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:01 am
I define morality as 'eliminating and managing Evil to enable its related Good'.
How would you get someone who doesn't believe there is such a thing as evil to agree with that definition?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:10 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:01 am
How would you get someone who doesn't believe there is such a thing as evil to agree with that definition?
And how does one determine what is evil.
He's often determined what is an objective moral fact by looking in brains.
But current brains have those parts that lead to the good and evil we have today, however those categories are determined. The brains can't tell us - be charitable with what I mean. :D :D
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:10 am Does It Matter Whether God Exists or Not?

Views?
All we can know is that 'Existence' IS without doubt or error.

Existence is ABSOLUTELY known simply by the sheer experience of ''Existing'' which can NEVER be experienced as non-existence, this is SO obvious.

So since existence IS, and could never be ''IS NOT'' ... it wouldn't matter if God existed OR NOT, because the known concept that is God would be all inclusive of what IS ... that could never be what '' IS NOT'' ...in the same context - Existence could never be Non-Existence.

So any difference, would only imply that this ISNESS could also be IS-Not, is the pure illusion of being both, yet neither.

So No. No difference whatsoever, except in this artificial conception, aka the dream of separation, dreaming difference where there is none.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Does it matter to whom?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:27 pm Does it matter to whom?
The whom is the sense of separation, the I thought.

Separation where there is none, as where does I begin and end except as concept in this conception.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:31 pm

Separation where there is none, as where does I begin and end except as concept in this conception.
I'd like to remain in the people world. Here Thai food matters to some people but not others. Jimmy loves football, but not volleyball.
Things matter to some people and not others.

I think the whole thread is trying to argue objectively and universally about something that varies between people.

Sort of making a category error.

I understand you are looking at the issue via non-dualism.

To me that's another can of marbles.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:39 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:31 pm

I'd like to remain in the people world. Here Thai food matters to some people but not others. Jimmy loves football, but not volleyball.
Things matter to some people and not others.

I think the whole thread is trying to argue objectively and universally about something that varies between people.

Sort of making a category error.

I understand you are looking at the issue via non-dualism.

To me that's another can of marbles.
There is only the people world to whom the people world is known.

Without doubt or error.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:54 pm There is only the people world to whom the people world is known.
People
People who need people
Are the luckiest people in the world
We're children, needing other children
And yet letting a grown-up pride
Hide all the need inside
Acting more like children than children
Lovers, are very special people
They're the luckiest people in the world
With one person
One very special person
A feeling deep in your soul
Says you were half now you're whole
No more hunger and thirst
But first be a person who needs people
People who need people
With one person, one very special person
Says you were half, now you're whole
No more hunger and thirst
But first be a person who needs people
People who need people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1B-a1M7U58&t=2s
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:48 pmLovers, are very special people
With one person
One very special person
Even luckier are the 'lover's' knowing 'they' were never not whole. It takes two to love.

Love implies TWO
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:12 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:48 pmLovers, are very special people
With one person
One very special person
Even luckier are the 'lover's' knowing 'they' were never not whole. It takes two to love.

Love implies TWO
Not to bhakti practitioners when they really got the heat up in chanting.