Act based Utilitarianism and sex crimes and moral solutions

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Peter Holmes

Re: Act based Utilitarianism and sex crimes and moral solutions

Post by Peter Holmes »

'Question-begging: a fallacy that involves an assumption of something whose truth may be questioned. It is also called circular reasoning or petitio principii.'

Soundness refers to the truth of a premise or premises.

Skepdick is an offensive fucking moron with a dick for a brain.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:58 pm 'Question-begging: a fallacy that involves an assumption of something whose truth may be questioned. It is also called circular reasoning or petitio principii.'
the fallacy fallacy You presumed that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that the claim itself must be wrong.
Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:58 pm Soundness refers to the truth of a premise or premises.
Precisely! The premise "Murder is wrong" is true. Hence the argument is sound!

Peter "Dumb and Morally Bankrupt Cunt" Holmes is rejecting the premise: "Murder is wrong."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:58 pm Skepdick is an offensive fucking moron with a dick for a brain.
Ad hominem.

Still, I'd rather be all of the above than an immoral piece of shit like you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:02 pm According to Peter "Dumb Cunt" Holmes it's not true that murder is wrong.
When murder is wrong, it is only wrong in as much as it is wrong in the opinion of most people. Were there a community of people who did not consider murder to be wrong, and who were not answerable to any outside authority, then, within that community, murder would not be wrong. I'm afraid that Peter (not so Dumb Cunt after all) Holmes is right, if the opinion you are attributing to him is really his opinion.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:21 pm
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:02 pm According to Peter "Dumb Cunt" Holmes it's not true that murder is wrong.
When murder is wrong, it is only wrong in as much as it is wrong in the opinion of most people. Were there a community of people who did not consider murder to be wrong, and who were not answerable to any outside authority, then, within that community, murder would not be wrong. I'm afraid that Peter (not so Dumb Cunt after all) Holmes is right, if the opinion you are attributing to him is really his opinion.
I am not really interested in the verbiage....

Either it's true that murder is wrong; or it's not true that murder is wrong.

Peter "Dumb Cunt" Holmes is rejecting the soundness of my argument, therefore he believes the latter.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:23 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:21 pm
I am not really interested in the verbiage....
It was more intended to highlight to others what a sloppy thinker you are than to be of interest to you.
Are you under the impression that that is some sort of an argument? :?
Peter "Dumb ****" Holmes is rejecting the soundness of my argument, therefore he believes the latter.
If Peter Holmes is rejecting the soundness of your argument, I can only congratulate him on the soundness of his judgement.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

A premise can be true or false - or not truth-apt.

For example: is the premise 'abortion is wrong' true or false? Hint: the answer is 'neither'. And that's why moral objectivist morons never address such sticky moral dilemmas.

Is the claim 'Bach's music is sublime' true or false? And what could decide the matter?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:34 pm A premise can be true or false - or not truth-apt.

For example: is the premise 'abortion is wrong' true or false? Hint: the answer is 'neither'. And that's why moral objectivist morons never address such sticky moral dilemmas.

Is the claim 'Bach's music is sublime' true or false? And what could decide the matter?
Q.E.D

He continues denying the wrongness of murder.

Peter "Dumb Cunt" Holmes is no moral subjectivist.

He is an immoral subjectivist.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Clinton wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:52 am I'm a utilitarian. Specifically, I'm almost exclusively an act-based utilitarian...with one possible exception: certain kinds of sex crimes that won't be detected and that won't cause any form of suffering for the victim from the crime itself.
Please describe an illegal act of sexual abuse that cannot cause any form of suffering to the victim.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:34 pm It was more intended to highlight to others what a sloppy thinker you are than to be of interest to you.
I am what I am. It must be really embarrasing for you to have a "sloppy thinker" such as myself teaching you logic.
Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:34 pm
Are you under the impression that that is some sort of an argument? :?
No, I am merely under the impression that it's a law of logic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_excluded_middle
Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:34 pm If Peter Holmes is rejecting the soundness of your argument, I can only congratulate him on the soundness of his judgement.
You think rejecting the wrongness of murder exemplifies sound judgment ?!?

You are a fucking crackpot.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Premise: There are no moral facts.
Moron: Then you're immoral.

Fucking moron.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:49 pm Premise: There are no moral facts.
Moron: Then you're immoral.

Fucking moron.
And now you are going to lie about it all. Great stuff!

You rejected the soundness of a valid argument with the premise of "Murder is wrong"

You fucking immoral twat.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:41 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:34 pm It was more intended to highlight to others what a sloppy thinker you are than to be of interest to you.
I am what I am.
And you are not what you are not, like a policeman, for example. :wink:
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:54 pm
I am what I am.
And you are not what you are not, like a policeman, for example. :wink:
No amount of winking is going to change the fact that you are lying ;)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:34 pm If Peter Holmes is rejecting the soundness of your argument, I can only congratulate him on the soundness of his judgement.
You think rejecting the wrongness of murder exemplifies sound judgment ?!?

I doubt that Peter Holmes rejects the wrongness of murder, and I doubt that he is saying he does, but you know that, even though you stupidly pretend not to. The point is: anyone is free to reject (in the moral sense) the principle of murder being wrong. That's all it is; a moral principle, and a moral principle can only be measured against personal standards and values.
You are a fucking crackpot.
You still blame me for being caught impersonating a police officer, don't you? :|
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:18 pm I doubt that Peter Holmes rejects the wrongness of murder, and I doubt that he is saying he does, but you know that, even though you stupidly pretend not to. The point is: anyone is free to reject (in the moral sense) the principle of murder being wrong. That's all it is; a moral principle, and a moral principle can only be measured against personal standards and values.
Why do you doubt that?

He understands the definition of "soundness". A valid argument with true premises.
The argument is valid.

If he rejects the soundness of the argument then he is necessarily rejecting the premise.

The premise is "Murder is wrong"
Harbal wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:18 pm You still blame me for being caught impersonating a police officer, don't you? :|
I blame you for lying about it.