Decline of the West???

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wizard22

Re: Decline of the West???

Post by Wizard22 »

Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:21 pmI made the claim about the language, not the alphabet. What is it that you're not understanding here?
Alphabets and Literacy are just as integral to language as phonetics.

Maybe Old English had a majority German word count, phonetically, but certainly not modern English.

Ironic that you and Sculptor don't know this in a Philosophy forum.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:26 pmThere is no such thing as the "English ALphabet" FFS.
:D :D :D
Don't be ridiculous :roll:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Wizard22 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:19 pm
Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:41 amSo the alphabet came first, before spoken language?
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:10 amFFS.
DO you think language came before or after writing?
THink about the question before you answer. And when you have your answer you can hide your head in shame.
That's not what I said nor implied.

The English Alphabet is only minorly Germanic, definitely not a majority like you claimed.
The English language is a Germanic language.

The alphabet we use is Latin. which like the Greek one is inherited from Pheoncian.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Wizard22 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:27 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:26 pmThere is no such thing as the "English ALphabet" FFS.
:D :D :D
Don't be ridiculous :roll:
You are just making an arse of yourself.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:21 pmI made the claim about the language, not the alphabet. What is it that you're not understanding here?

Maybe Old English had a majority German word count, phonetically, but certainly not modern English.

No, alphabets are not integral to languages at all. I don't use the Latin alphabet when I read English.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:29 pm

I don't use the Latin alphabet when I read English.
Yes you do.

But they do not determine language, which it always preliterate historically and personally.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Wizard22 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:15 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:11 amYou are attempting to make a racial point with that video about black people being violent? That proves my point that you think entirely in racial terms.
No, you are an Accuser and projecting your own racism. You don't even know what you're talking about, even when confronted with the reality of black-majority populations and what they do when unpoliced.

You're simple-minded.
In two sentences you went from denying your own racism, to accusing me of your racism, to saying that racism is right anyway.

You are a self basting turkey.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:32 pm
Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:29 pm

I don't use the Latin alphabet when I read English.
Yes you do.

But they do not determine language, which it always preliterate historically and personally.
I assure I do not use the Latin alphabet when I read English. Please try and think what you're saying.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Of course it determines the language.

If what you and Maia argued were true, then we'd be writing in the German alphabet, not the American-English one.

Maia, since you cannot see the letters you're writing, and the lack of Germanic rune-symbols, you literally cannot know what you're claiming here.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Wizard22 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:35 pm Of course it determines the language.

If what you and Maia argued were true, then we'd be writing in the German alphabet, not the American-English one.

Maia, since you cannot see the letters you're writing, and the lack of Germanic rune-symbols, you literally cannot know what you're claiming here.
German uses the Latin alphabet too, by the way.

I'm fully aware of runes. I'm a Pagan, remember? Runes can be carved.

But, to reiterate, when I read English, from a book, for example, it's not written in the Latin alphabet. But it's still English.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Turkey switched from using the Arabic alphabet to the Latin one in 1928. They just changed alphabets, not languages. Other languages have switched between latin and cyrillic also without suddenly being new languages because of it.

Wizzzzzard is the dumbest of all motherfuckers.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:39 pmGerman uses the Latin alphabet too, by the way.
And USA, England, the Anglo-sphere still doesn't use it, precisely my point.

Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:39 pmI'm fully aware of runes. I'm a Pagan, remember? Runes can be carved.

But, to reiterate, when I read English, from a book, for example, it's not written in the Latin alphabet. But it's still English.
Braille is second-hand transcription. You still base your translations off of the English alphabet and all its derivatives.

I think this side-track argument has gone on long enough now. I'll return to the theme of the thread.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:40 pmTurkey switched from using the Arabic alphabet to the Latin one in 1928. They just changed alphabets, not languages. Other languages have switched between latin and cyrillic also without suddenly being new languages because of it.

Wizzzzzard is the dumbest of all motherfuckers.
Congratulations pea-brain, you missed the point. Keep swinging.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Wizard22 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:43 pm
Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:39 pmGerman uses the Latin alphabet too, by the way.
And USA, England, the Anglo-sphere still doesn't use it, precisely my point.

Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:39 pmI'm fully aware of runes. I'm a Pagan, remember? Runes can be carved.

Braille is second-hand transcription. You still base your translations off of the English alphabet and all its derivatives.

I think this side-track argument has gone on long enough now. I'll return to the theme of the thread.
It's not second hand transcription at all, but a fully developed writing system in it's own right. According to your argument, if it's written or composed in Braille, it's not English. And since I can't read the Latin alphabet, I must be illiterate.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Maia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:49 pmAnd since I can't read the Latin alphabet, I must be illiterate.
If someone carved a sentence out of Latin characters, could you feel the carvings and read it?

I know it wouldn't be as smooth and natural of an experience for you as reading Braille, but could you? Do you tactically know the shapes of the letters well enough to do that?