YOU are Abrahamic

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: YOU are Abrahamic

Post by commonsense »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:25 pm
commonsense wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:11 pmYou both are conflating similarity with equality. Atheists do not believe in creationism by any intent whatsoever.
They do IF and WHEN the Big Bang is in fact "the same" as Creationism.

First there was Nothing,
Then there was Something.

How is that not the exact same?
By way of counter argument, let’s compare sameness and equality in the case of the horse and the zebra.

They are the same, one could say. After all they both have 4 legs, hooves, a tail and a mane, teeth, tongue, eyes and ears. One can conclude they are the same in every aspect.

But only one has stripes.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Yes, exactly, one side calls themselves Abrahamic and the other side calls themselves Secular, Horse v Zebra.

Good analogy, commonsense, so you agree with the premise then?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:44 am Yes, exactly, one side calls themselves Abrahamic and the other side calls themselves Secular, Horse v Zebra.

Good analogy, commonsense, so you agree with the premise then?
No. I see it this way: on taking a close look, horses and zebras are different; also Abrahamic is different than secular.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

commonsense wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:46 pmNo. I see it this way: on taking a close look, horses and zebras are different; also Abrahamic is different than secular.
Both sides approaching "Intergalactic One-ness" but from two different directions, Left (Secular) or Right (Religious/Abrahamic).

What say you?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:45 am
commonsense wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:46 pmNo. I see it this way: on taking a close look, horses and zebras are different; also Abrahamic is different than secular.
Both sides approaching "Intergalactic One-ness" but from two different directions, Left (Secular) or Right (Religious/Abrahamic).

What say you?
I don't think the Abrahamist think much in terms of galaxies.
You can be secular right and many neocons are, whatever their representatives in Congress and the presidency have to make Abrahamic noises to appease the little Abrahamic people.
You can be Left religious Abrahamic. A nice example were the Liberation Theologists in Latin America who saw their role as helping the oppressed - serfs, Native groups, the poor, non-landowners - against the wealth landowning, police and military controlling, junta or autocrat allied class. There are plenty of other examples.

But let me know what this intergalactic oneness is.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Aka. "God"
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:45 am

What say you?
You’re being silly now. Let me give you an example that addresses the concept of two things approaching one thing from different directions.

Two golfers are on the green. One is 15 ft north of the hole and the other is 15 ft south of the hole.

They must approach the hole from different directions. They both hit their ball at the same time. The two balls collide at the cup.

Are they playing with one ball or two?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Secularists and Abrahamists are playing with one ball, correct, not two.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:39 am Secularists and Abrahamists are playing with one ball, correct, not two.
Then you are saying that the golf analogy doesn’t apply. That may be true, but your idea that two distinct groups of people comprise one homogenous group is still incredible.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:39 am Secularists and Abrahamists are playing with one ball, correct, not two.
So presumably you are neither an Abrahamist nor a Secularist, or you are playing with the same ball.
So, what are you?
Also, you can be a secularist and an abrahamist. You just believe in the separate of church and state. A number of the founders of the nation were like that. Further you can be neither a secularist nor a abrahamist. Like a Hindu who wants a religious state.

Anyway, what are you?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

I lean toward Paganism and Roman Catholicism (Secularism). I would consider myself Polytheistic; there are Many gods not just One. I do not consider myself exempt from these categories. Although I do want alternatives/choices.

I think we owe it to ourselves, as Philosophers, to demand more than "One" Universal solution. There has to be more than what is presented to us by the fundamentalists on the Left or Right. There are other directions than Two.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:23 am
I think we owe it to ourselves, as Philosophers, to demand more than "One" Universal solution.
Solution to what?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:23 am there are Many gods not just One.
What if there are the many of the ONE?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:32 amSolution to what?
Existence.

What is "The Big Bang" a theory of? Why? How was it conceived? Why are there no alternatives despite Secularists claiming "we're not Abrahamic!"?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:42 amWhat if there are the many of the ONE?
I don't know, you tell me.