Philosophy undermines truth

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Philosophy undermines truth

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:41 am
Age wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:37 am This link linked us to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING REALLY ON TOPIC here.
I started this topic. When did you get to decide what's on topic?
WHENEVER I WANTED TO.

'you' do have a tendency "skepdick" to SAY and CLAIM 'things', then link us to some 'thing', as though doing this somehow backs up your CLAIMS and/or somehow shows that you KNOW what you SAID and CLAIMED. However, after reading some of your links they ONLY COUNTER and/or REFUTED your CLAIM, or do NOT even align with what was ACTUALLY being TALKED ABOUT and DISCUSSED
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Age wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:58 am
Skepdick wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:41 am
Age wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:37 am This link linked us to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING REALLY ON TOPIC here.
I started this topic. When did you get to decide what's on topic?
WHENEVER I WANTED TO.

'you' do have a tendency "skepdick" to SAY and CLAIM 'things', then link us to some 'thing', as though doing this somehow backs up your CLAIMS and/or somehow shows that you KNOW what you SAID and CLAIMED. However, after reading some of your links they ONLY COUNTER and/or REFUTED your CLAIM, or do NOT even align with what was ACTUALLY being TALKED ABOUT and DISCUSSED
You appear to be fully committed to this intelelctual boxing match with yourself.

Claims. Refutations. Counter claims. What a stupid sport.

I hope you don't mind me watching from the spectator stand and throwing rotten vegetables at you while you are busy throwing punches.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:02 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:13 pm Philosophy categorizes truth.
Philosophy understands truth.
Philosophy defines truth.
Philosophy exposes lies.

If you think it undermines truth, then the likelihood is that you have been upset by having your lies exposed with reason and logic.
Philosophy doesn't have any bearing on the truth; the truth is whatever the truth is.
That is hilarious.
Where is it?
What philosophy does is undermine people who claim to know the truth, by pointing out that there are alternative explanations, equally well supported by the evidence. The truth is sometimes difficult to find and sometimes impossible. Any philosopher worth their salt understands this and, regardless of how vigorous the assertion of what they believe to be the truth, a philosopher that isn't bonkers will concede as much.
Thanks skeptic but you are not fooling anyone.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Sculptor wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:42 pm
Philosophy exposes lies.

If you think it undermines truth, then the likelihood is that you have been upset by having your lies exposed with reason and logic.
Philosophy doesn't have any bearing on the truth; the truth is whatever the truth is.
That is hilarious.
Where is it?
What philosophy does is undermine people who claim to know the truth, by pointing out that there are alternative explanations, equally well supported by the evidence. The truth is sometimes difficult to find and sometimes impossible. Any philosopher worth their salt understands this and, regardless of how vigorous the assertion of what they believe to be the truth, a philosopher that isn't bonkers will concede as much.
There's pretty high odds, from my vantage point, that you're misunderstanding what he's saying, and if he had phrased it differently you would find yourself agreeing with him.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Philosophy exposes lies.

That is hilarious.
Where is it?
1. You don't even know who you are responding to.
2. Since you aren't conceding, I guess you are bonkers.

But we already knew.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Age wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:13 amPeople who CLAIM TO KNOW the truth can NOT be UNDERMINED by ANY 'thing', if the CLAIM IS TRUE.
The problem is that even if a claim is true, there are other stories that will account for the evidence equally well. Take you, for example. There are any number of possible stories that will account for the words on this forum attributed to Age. Hopefully avoiding any charge of "over-indexing on the “challenging” part", it is conceivable that you are some AI project being run by someone whose computer has a faulty caps lock, but I am quite prepared to believe that you, Age, are a person of some sort. What sort of person? Well, there's your version, the details of which escape me but are along the lines of you being some sort of time travelling messenger. Then's there's the view shared I think by most here, that you are a complete headcase. That's three possibilities already. Even if your version is the correct one, there is nothing you could say to eliminate the other options above, nor countless others.
Age wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:13 amLOOK "will bouwman" just because one might CLAIM TO KNOW the truth does NOT equate to THAT CLAIM necessarily being False. So, WHEN are you going to START UNDERSTANDING and COMPREHENDING this IRREFUTABLE Fact here?
That would have been 1987 at the latest.
Age wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:13 am
Will Bouwman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:02 amThe truth is sometimes difficult to find and sometimes impossible.
The ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth IS EXTREMELY SIMPLE and EASY TO FIND, and UNCOVER.
So you keep saying. The thing is there are potentially infinite untruths which are irrefutable.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:02 amPhilosophy doesn't have any bearing on the truth; the truth is whatever the truth is.
That is hilarious.
Where is it?
I don't know. Nor do I believe anyone else does.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:45 pm
That is hilarious.
Where is it?
There's pretty high odds, from my vantage point, that you're misunderstanding what he's saying, and if he had phrased it differently you would find yourself agreeing with him.
Truth cannot exist regardless of the exercise of the mind. The truth is not "OUT THERE!"
But you are right I did not read the rest with the patience it deserved.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:45 pmThere's pretty high odds, from my vantage point, that you're misunderstanding what he's saying, and if he had phrased it differently you would find yourself agreeing with him.
I can only disagree with what's in front of me. Perhaps you are right, but it would take a fairly radical rephrasing.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:55 pm
Will Bouwman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:02 amPhilosophy doesn't have any bearing on the truth; the truth is whatever the truth is.
That is hilarious.
Where is it?
I don't know. Nor do I believe anyone else does.
I did not read your above post fully. Soz.
The truth would seem to be a state of mind, a relationship between what is and what we perceive, and would have to be unique to each of us, though agreement can mean we share a state of mind very similar to one another.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:01 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:45 pmThere's pretty high odds, from my vantage point, that you're misunderstanding what he's saying, and if he had phrased it differently you would find yourself agreeing with him.
I can only disagree with what's in front of me. Perhaps you are right, but it would take a fairly radical rephrasing.
I was addressing sculptor with that. I believe he didn't interpret your words the way you intended
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Sculptor wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:01 pmI did not read your above post fully. Soz.
No problem.
Sculptor wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:01 pmThe truth would seem to be a state of mind, a relationship between what is and what we perceive, and would have to be unique to each of us, though agreement can mean we share a state of mind very similar to one another.
By truth, in the above context, I simply "what is". Granted truth as a state of mind is mind dependent.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:03 pmI was addressing sculptor with that. I believe he didn't interpret your words the way you intended
Ah. To borrow from Sculptor:
Sculptor wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:01 pmI did not read your above post fully. Soz.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:10 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:03 pmI was addressing sculptor with that. I believe he didn't interpret your words the way you intended
Ah. To borrow from Sculptor:
What a lovely couple of fellas you both are today
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

double