Philosophy undermines truth

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Philosophy undermines truth

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:02 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:02 am
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 am If "ALL stories are underdetermined" then HOW do you choose any given story?
I'd think, that if many underdetermined stories arrived at point B, then attempting to find which "story" arrives at point B with the most efficiency, should be examined first.

Sort of, Occams Razor stuff. (how water flows etc..)
So why can't we just focus on B and ignore the stories?
B is here and now, we gotta work our way back through time - many events to extrapolate upon, many stories - finding the correct one is the key to how I am typing messages with U right now.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 amIt's like I am speaking to a brick wall.
In my case it's like I'm speaking to a forgetful, autistic conspiracy nut.
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 amIf "ALL stories are underdetermined" then HOW do you choose any given story?
Who says you have to? If someone asks me whether gravity is caused by warped spacetime, gravitons or any of the other underdetermined theories, I say I don't know.

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:02 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:02 am
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 am If "ALL stories are underdetermined" then HOW do you choose any given story?
I'd think, that if many underdetermined stories arrived at point B, then attempting to find which "story" arrives at point B with the most efficiency, should be examined first.

Sort of, Occams Razor stuff. (how water flows etc..)
So why can't we just focus on B and ignore the stories?

Example: We agree that murder is wrong.

WHY is murder wrong?
Are you asking this question because you already know the answer, or, are you seriously curious as to what the actual answer is exactly?
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:02 am There are many stories - none of them matter.
Why then do you appear to be very desparate to express your story here?

If your stories do not matter, then why the continuous attempt to be heard, and understood?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:34 am
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 amIt's like I am speaking to a brick wall.
In my case it's like I'm speaking to a forgetful, autistic conspiracy nut.
There's plenty of evidence to the contrary but you seem impervious to it.
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 amIf "ALL stories are underdetermined" then HOW do you choose any given story?
Who says you have to? If someone asks me whether gravity is caused by warped spacetime, gravitons or any of the other underdetermined theories, I say I don't know.
Nobody says you "have to" and yet here you are. Doing it. Whether you have to or not.

You've committed yourself to a story in which gravity exists.
Even though the stories in which it doesn't exist are equally underdetermined.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

..there comes a point where 'things' perhaps have no 'cause'.

And, if that is a case, then from a human perception point of view that then requires no consideration of time, no causality.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:10 pmYou've committed yourself to a story in which gravity exists. Even though the stories in which it doesn't exist are equally underdetermined.
As it happens I have committed to a story according to which I am not being deceived by an evil demon, and there really are objects out there that fall to the ground when not prevented from doing so. I have also committed to the story that something is making that happen, rather than any alternative lots of coincidental events hypothesis. While I can't prove it, I consider the possibility that I am being deceived on one or both counts remote.
In that context, there are no stories in which gravity doesn't exist. Having established that things really do fall Earthward, and that gravity is the cause, I concede that there are several stories that account for gravity. I have not committed to any one of them, because the evidence of falling objects is explained equally well by several of them. Hence stories about the cause of gravity are underdetermined, but gravity itself is a fact,
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:10 pmYou've committed yourself to a story in which gravity exists. Even though the stories in which it doesn't exist are equally underdetermined.
As it happens I have committed to a story according to which I am not being deceived by an evil demon, and there really are objects out there that fall to the ground when not prevented from doing so. I have also committed to the story that something is making that happen, rather than any alternative lots of coincidental events hypothesis. While I can't prove it, I consider the possibility that I am being deceived on one or both counts remote.
Surely the story about the "remoteness" of the possibility is underdetermined?

Apparently ALL theories are underdetermined. Is tihs one an exception?
Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm In that context, there are no stories in which gravity doesn't exist. Having established that things really do fall Earthward
Yeah but outside of that context there are yet more stories in which the falling of things and the non-existence of gravity are both true.

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm , and that gravity is the cause, I concede that there are several stories that account for gravity. I have not committed to any one of them, because the evidence of falling objects is explained equally well by several of them. Hence stories about the cause of gravity are underdetermined,
But you have committed yourself to the class of stories where gravity exists; while you have dismissed the class of stories where it doesn't.
Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm but gravity itself is a fact,
And here I thought the falling of objects was a fact while gravity was just a theory.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:22 pm
Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm
Surely the story about the "remoteness" of the possibility is underdetermined?

Apparently ALL theories are underdetermined. Is tihs one an exception?
Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm In that context, there are no stories in which gravity doesn't exist. Having established that things really do fall Earthward
Yeah but outside of that context there are yet more stories in which the falling of things and the non-existence of gravity are both true.

Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm , and that gravity is the cause, I concede that there are several stories that account for gravity. I have not committed to any one of them, because the evidence of falling objects is explained equally well by several of them. Hence stories about the cause of gravity are underdetermined,
But you have committed yourself to the class of stories where gravity exists; while you have dismissed the class of stories where it doesn't.
Will Bouwman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm but gravity itself is a fact,
And here I thought the falling of objects was a fact while gravity was just a theory.
U R being a dickhead Skeppy - there are no examples within physics where gravity does not exist. (or as you are applying the term "story"..and allow me to just insist, stories exist on Earth.)
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:27 pm U R being a dickhead Skeppy - there are no examples within physics where gravity does not exist. (or as you are applying the term "story")
Yeah there are...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropic_gravity
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:30 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:27 pm U R being a dickhead Skeppy - there are no examples within physics where gravity does not exist. (or as you are applying the term "story")
Yeah there are...

..well, I'm impressed - it's still gravity: This is an exceedingly low threshold, measuring only 12 trillionths gravity's strength at Earth's surface; an object dropped from a height of one meter would fall for 36 hours were Earth's gravity this weak. It is also 3,000 times less than the remnant of Earth's

"Entropic gravity, also known as emergent gravity, is a theory in modern physics that describes gravity"
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:31 pm
Yeah there are...

..well, I'm impressed - it's still gravity: This is an exceedingly low threshold, measuring only 12 trillionths gravity's strength at Earth's surface; an object dropped from a height of one meter would fall for 36 hours were Earth's gravity this weak. It is also 3,000 times less than the remnant of Earth's

"Entropic gravity, also known as emergent gravity, is a theory in modern physics that describes gravity"
So your conception of "gravity" is unfalsifiable? It's a sacred cow - e.g it's not even wrong ?!?

Maybe you want to read this part again...
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:22 pm And here I thought the falling of objects was a fact while gravity was just a theory.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:34 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:31 pm
Yeah there are...

So your conception of "gravity" is unfalsifiable? It's a sacred cow - e.g it's not even wrong ?!?

Maybe you want to read this part again...
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:22 pm And here I thought the falling of objects was a fact while gravity was just a theory.
Wot is the point U R trying to make?

Do things of mass attract each other or not - does gravity exist?

It's a binary answer ffs
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:37 pm Do things of mass attract each other or not - does gravity exist?

It's a binary answer ffs
You don't seem to understand that that's not one question. That's two questions.

Do things with mass attact each other? Yes they do. That's a fact.
Is it gravity that's causing the attraction or is there some other explanation? Whatever the answer - it's a metaphysical theory.
Last edited by Skepdick on Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:45 pm
attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:37 pm Do things of mass attract each other or not - does gravity exist?

It's a binary answer ffs
You don't seem to understand that that's not one question. That's two questions.

Do things with mass attact each other? Yes they do. That's a fact.
Is it gravity that's causing the attraction or is there some other explanation? Whatever the answer - it's a metaphysical theory.
..Ah!! U R back to wanting to redefine accepted words within the English language to suit your alternate view of "REALITY"

..we call it GRAVITY.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:48 pm ..Ah!! U R back to wanting to redefine accepted words within the English language to suit your alternate view of "REALITY"
Nothing like that.

"Gravity" is a thought-terminating cliche.

When I ask you "Why do apples fall from trees?" the answer to such a "Why?" question is "gravity."

If it turns out that it's the latter; that there's some theory which explains why things fall better than the current gravitational theories we have then gravity is scientifically falsified and it ceases to exist.

There's no re-definition. That's just how falsification works.