What Is Time?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

What Is Time?

Post by Philosophy Now »

Each answer below receives a book. Apologies to the many entrants not included.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/155/What_Is_Time
Agent Smith

Re: What Is Time?

Post by Agent Smith »

Hmmm ... before I bite ... forget it! Here goes nothing ...

I believe time, what it is, can be thought of as lying somewhere between undefined/hardta define/not-yet-defined AND scientifically very, very useful.

What I said of course could very well be an artifact of our zeitgeist, but that doesn't mean it's not worth answering the question what time is.

What's the difference, if any, between a digital watch and an analog one? I'm old enough to have worn an analog timepiece and now I use my cell phone's digital clock. I don't recall any Y2K-like problems when I made the switch. However ... I'm old, and frail, broken-hearted, and I think I have a tumor in me bloody nose. Que sais-je? :mrgreen:
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Time is the melody the spheres play on a conscious subject, their effects, and a conscious subject's biological reactions.
Last edited by popeye1945 on Sun May 14, 2023 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Age »

'Time' was just a word given to the measuring of the duration between perceived events.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Age wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:03 am 'Time' was just a word given to the measuring of the duration between perceived events.
..and by 'duration' you are talking about the number of events between events?

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:06 am
Age wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:03 am 'Time' was just a word given to the measuring of the duration between perceived events.
No, NOT AT ALL.

I am talking about the actual 'length' BETWEEN say, 'two , perceived, events', measured with what are referred to as or commonly called, 'watches', 'clocks', et cetera.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Age wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:39 am
No, NOT AT ALL.

I am talking about the actual 'length' BETWEEN say, 'two , perceived, events', measured with what are referred to as or commonly called, 'watches', 'clocks', et cetera.
My dear fellow, a watch doesn't tick without events and the 'duration' between each tick has events.

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:47 am

No, NOT AT ALL.

My dear fellow, a watch doesn't tick without events
I NEVER even 'thought' otherwise, let alone SAID absolutely ANY 'thing' here that should have led ANY one to ASSUME I was.
attofishpi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:47 am and the 'duration' between each tick has events.
Okay. And, between ALL of those, perceived, 'events' is 'a duration', which the measuring of was and is known as, and by, the word 'time', as I WAS, and AM STILL, SAYING.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Age wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:49 am

No, NOT AT ALL.

I NEVER even 'thought' otherwise, let alone SAID absolutely ANY 'thing' here that should have led ANY one to ASSUME I was.
attofishpi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:47 am and the 'duration' between each tick has events.
Okay. And, between ALL of those, perceived, 'events' is 'a duration', which the measuring of was and is known as, and by, the word 'time', as I WAS, and AM STILL, SAYING.
You have disagreed with my original statement: "..and by 'duration' you are talking about the number of events between events?

Show me how you are going to measure any duration without events.

The point I am making is that there is no 'duration' that can occur without events.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Time is more valuable than money, for wasting time buys you so much more than wasting money.

The Book of Deepities, volume 3.

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:13 pm
Age wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:49 am

You have disagreed with my original statement
1. Am I NOT ALLOWED TO?

2. Is that 'original statement' of 'yours' the one written AFTER what I SAID and WROTE, and which 'you' were REPLYING TO? And,

3. Is that 'your statement' WITH a QUESTION MARK AT THE END of 'it'?
attofishpi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:13 pm : "..and by 'duration' you are talking about the number of events between events?
So, is 'this' A 'statement', OR, A 'question'?
attofishpi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:13 pm Show me how you are going to measure any duration without events.
WHY ARE 'you' ASSUMING here that I am SAYING ABSOLUTELY ANY 'thing' AT ALL ABOUT measuring WITHOUT 'events'?

Are 'you' MISSING READING the word 'BETWEEN', before the 'events' word here?

I WROTE 'BETWEEN' in capital letters so that 'it' would be EMPHASIZED, or made MORE OBVIOUS.
attofishpi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:13 pm The point I am making is that there is no 'duration' that can occur without events.
But WHY make 'this point', ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING NO one I KNOW of has EVER said such a thing, and I have CERTAINLY NEVER even mentioned ANY such 'thing'.

I even WROTE the word 'events', and the words 'BETWEEN events'.

So, AGAIN, WHY are 'you' ASSUMING what 'you' ARE here, "attofishpi"?

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:15 pm Time is more valuable than money, for wasting time buys you so much more than wasting money.
But, 'What is 'time', to you?
Skepdick wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:15 pm The Book of Deepities, volume 3.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Age wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:58 pm
Skepdick wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:15 pm Time is more valuable than money, for wasting time buys you so much more than wasting money.
The question surprises me.

Time is time to me. What else could it be?

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:59 pm
Age wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:58 pm
The question surprises me.
WHY, EXACTLY?
Skepdick wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:59 pm Time is time to me.
Okay. This has CLEARED UP a LOT of 'things' here, MOST by SHOWING and REVEALING MORE ABOUT 'you'.
Skepdick wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:59 pm What else could it be?
ASKING 'this' question surprises 'me' that 'you' do NOT YET ALREADY KNOW.

BUT, THEN AGAIN, 'you' have ALREADY INFORMED 'us' that 'you' are NOT ABLE to DEFINE ANY word AT ALL, thus 'you' do NOT ACTUALLY KNOW what 'things' ACTUALLY ARE or are NOT able to TELL ANY one "else", right?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Time is the reaction to matter in motion through space in its local context. Reaction in the case of one organism becomes conscious, and in consciousness reaction becomes time. Without a conscious subject there is no time, just meaningless matter in motion affecting other matter in motion in its local.