a taxonomy of rational self-interest

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

a taxonomy of rational self-interest

Post by Advocate »

The most rational existential decision one can make is sucide.
Second most rational is power at any price.
Ethical Hedonism is the third most rational and the first to allow for reciprocity, civilization, sustainability, and ultimately peace.
Agent Smith

Re: a taxonomy of rational self-interest

Post by Agent Smith »

Neat!

A certain equivalence comes into view. I like it! Accidents, happy accidents do occur after all. My bathroom window just broke!! 🤭🤔 I'm not happy, not happy at all! 🤬
hjcarden1

Post by hjcarden1 »

Advocate wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:05 am The most rational existential decision one can make is sucide.
Ethical Hedonism is the third most rational and the first to allow for reciprocity, civilization, sustainability, and ultimately peace.
In what form is Ethical Hedonism rational? I have never seen a defense of ethical hedonism that does not eventually appeal to a God-like entity that endows certain things with value...and if there is a "valuer" options 1 and 2 now must be reexamined.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=hjcarden1 post_id=656702 time=1689627723 user_id=24269]
[quote=Advocate post_id=640094 time=1683435948 user_id=15238]
The most rational existential decision one can make is sucide.
[/quote]

In what form is Ethical Hedonism rational? I have never seen a defense of ethical hedonism that does not eventually appeal to a God-like entity that endows certain things with value...and if there is a "valuer" options 1 and 2 now must be reexamined.
[/quote]

The ethical hedonist does not care for the future but to the extent it enables the good of the ongoing present. He seeks not mere pleasure but sustainable pleasure and for all who would enable it for others as well as for themselves.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:05 am The most rational existential decision one can make is sucide.
Is Ethical Hedonism a decision? How does empathy fit in with Ethical Hedonism, if it's a part of it, that is.