Reality is Both Meaningful and Meaningless

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eodnhoj7

Reality is Both Meaningful and Meaningless

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

1. Meaning is derived from one phenomenon being direct to another phenomenon.
2. Meaninglessness is the absence of one phenomenon being directed to another phenomenon.
3. If everything has meaning then all phenomenon are directed to a phenomenon beyond them.
4. If everything is without meaning then all phenomenon are not directed to a phenomenon beyond them.
5. Meaning is a phenomenon and as a phenomenon is directed towards itself as 'meaning means meaning' if everything has meaning.
6. If only directed towards itself then meaning is self-referential and without the necessary comparison for it to be something.
7. Meaning is thus meaningless as it is not directed towards anything beyond it.
8. 'Meaninglessness' means 'meaninglessness' thus follows the logic of points 6 and 7.
9. 'Meaninglessness' is without meaning thus self-negates leaving us with nothing other than meaning.
10. 'Meaning' and 'meaninglessness' both self-refute thus resulting in the other, this dichotomy leaves us with the absurdity of there both being meaning and meaninglessness.

1. Meaning is an extreme.
2. Meaninglessness is an extreme.
3. As extremes, and opposites, both cancel each other out thus leaving us with neither.
iambiguous

Re: Reality is Both Meaningful and Meaningless

Post by iambiguous »

We'll never need a context, of course. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:40 pm 1. Meaning is derived from one phenomenon being direct to another phenomenon.
2. Meaninglessness is the absence of one phenomenon being directed to another phenomenon.
3. If everything has meaning then all phenomenon are directed to a phenomenon beyond them.
4. If everything is without meaning then all phenomenon are not directed to a phenomenon beyond them.
5. Meaning is a phenomenon and as a phenomenon is directed towards itself as 'meaning means meaning' if everything has meaning.
6. If only directed towards itself then meaning is self-referential and without the necessary comparison for it to be something.
7. Meaning is thus meaningless as it is not directed towards anything beyond it.
8. 'Meaninglessness' means 'meaninglessness' thus follows the logic of points 6 and 7.
9. 'Meaninglessness' is without meaning thus self-negates leaving us with nothing other than meaning.
10. 'Meaning' and 'meaninglessness' both self-refute thus resulting in the other, this dichotomy leaves us with the absurdity of there both being meaning and meaninglessness.

3. As extremes, and opposites, both cancel each other out thus leaving us with neither.
What a load of utter codswallop. :shock:
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

iambiguous wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:27 pm We'll never need a context, of course. :wink:
Meaning is a context as it is that through which something exists. Meaning is relative to the contexts of A and B when A means B. If everything is meaningful then meaning is its own context.
Last edited by Eodnhoj7 on Fri May 05, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Harbal wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:13 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:40 pm 1. Meaning is derived from one phenomenon being direct to another phenomenon.

I didn't ask for your mental state. If you are lost on a point then say so and I will explain further.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:00 pm

I didn't ask for your mental state.
I suppose you think that is a sharp, witty reply, don't you? Well let me tell you, it isn't. It's pathetic! absolutely pathetic! Do you hear me?! Pathetic! :twisted:

:cry:
If you are lost on a point then say so and I will explain further.
Don't you dare. :x
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:09 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:00 pm

I didn't ask for your mental state.
I suppose you think that is a sharp, witty reply, don't you? Well let me tell you, it isn't. It's pathetic! absolutely pathetic! Do you hear me?! Pathetic! :twisted:

:cry:
If you are lost on a point then say so and I will explain further.
Don't you dare. :x
What is really sad is that you think that I think that the reply was witty....do you need wit explained to you or would the explanation be over your head?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

You stopped short of fulfilling a criterion that would've promptly placed you in the company of some of the greatest minds the world has ever seen. Your comment in another thread, addressed to me, dovetails pretty nicely with this OP! Neat!!

What did Jack buy?

A red bag.

Oh! Isn't that what Jill wanted?

Yep, that table there's been on her mind for the past month!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:26 pm

What is really sad is that you think that I think that the reply was witty....
If that makes you sad, I can only wonder at how a death in the family would make you feel.
do you need wit explained to you or would the explanation be over your head?
How tall are you? :|
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:48 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:26 pm

What is really sad is that you think that I think that the reply was witty....
If that makes you sad, I can only wonder at how a death in the family would make you feel.
do you need wit explained to you or would the explanation be over your head?
How tall are you? :|
Sad is sad, its grades does not take away from what it is.

How short is another man's tall?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Agent Smith wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:39 pm You stopped short of fulfilling a criterion that would've promptly placed you in the company of some of the greatest minds the world has ever seen. Your comment in another thread, addressed to me, dovetails pretty nicely with this OP! Neat!!

What did Jack buy?

A red bag.

If I fulfilled that criterion then my mind would be completely empty...and it is not...yet.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:53 pm

Sad is sad, its grades does not take away from what it is.

How short is another man's tall?
Okay, you've got me, I can't work with that. :(
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:55 pm
If I fulfilled that criterion then my mind would be completely empty...and it is not...yet.
After seeing what comes out of it, it would be better if it were empty. :|
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Agent Smith wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:39 pm You stopped short of fulfilling a criterion that would've promptly placed you in the company of some of the greatest minds the world has ever seen. Your comment in another thread, addressed to me, dovetails pretty nicely with this OP! Neat!!

What did Jack buy?

A red bag.

That's an interesting remark! I'm afraid that's the inevitability we all have to come to terms with. "Yet" is the apposite sentiment.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Agent Smith wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:00 pm

What did Jack buy?

A red bag.

That's an interesting remark! I'm afraid that's the inevitability we all have to come to terms with. "Yet" is the apposite sentiment.
It's inevitability makes us all geniuses eventually.