The Phenomenology of Time in Memento

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

The Phenomenology of Time in Memento

Post by Philosophy Now »

Becca Turcotte looks at some aspects of our experience of time, as revealed by a temporally-challenging movie.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/152/The_Phenomenology_of_Time_in_Memento
Agent Smith

Re: The Phenomenology of Time in Memento

Post by Agent Smith »

Keeping it simple, bracket out "time is ___", what do you notice about time?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Time, some've said, is an illusion. There's even a few arguments that purportedly demonstrate that to be a fact. Guru Google will take you to the right cyberspots in case you're interested.

We can do this!

No, we can't!

We can!!

How on earth can we ...??!!

This is not earth!!

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:15 am Time, some've said, is an illusion. There's even a few arguments that purportedly demonstrate that to be a fact.
BUT, what IS 'time', EXACTLY, which 'it' could then be 'an illusion'.

See, what the 'time' word means or refers to, to me anyway, is NOT 'an illusion' AT ALL. But what a LOT of 'you', people, mean or refer to as 'time' is CERTAINLY 'AN ILLUSION'.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:15 am Guru Google will take you to the right cyberspots in case you're interested.

We can do this!

No, we can't!

We can!!

This is not earth!!
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:33 am
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:15 am Time, some've said, is an illusion. There's even a few arguments that purportedly demonstrate that to be a fact.

See, what the 'time' word means or refers to, to me anyway, is NOT 'an illusion' AT ALL. But what a LOT of 'you', people, mean or refer to as 'time' is CERTAINLY 'AN ILLUSION'.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:15 am Guru Google will take you to the right cyberspots in case you're interested.

We can do this!

No, we can't!

We can!!

This is not earth!!
You're a one-of-a-kind on this forum; my ignorance, which is vast, forbids me to say more. That's the beating heart of philosophy as far as I'm concerned. Legends speak of sophos-es, they who've tamed the Antichrist. :mrgreen:

As for time, Age, all I can say is that time as we know it is simply (to stick ma neck out for the executioner's axe) a convenience as opposed to a hard (perhaps painful) fact. Others, higher up on the ladder of knowing, have said the same thing in far better and, hardly needs mentioning, clearer terms.

Take a gander at this: 0, 1, 2, ...

What could that sequence be mapped to?

I'm not gonna hold my breath for your answer.

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am

We can do this!

No, we can't!

We can!!

This is not earth!!
You're a one-of-a-kind on this forum
This forum is a very TINY place.

And, what you ACTUAL mean and/or are referring to here, EXACTLY, ONLY 'you' KNOW "agent smith".
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am ; my ignorance, which is vast, forbids me to say more.
Okay, BUT this just sounds like an EXCUSE for 'you' just NOT being Truly OPEN and Honest here. Also, BLAMING some 'thing' ELSE for ESSENTIALLY 'your' OWN DOING, or for 'your' OWN LACK OF DOING here, is NOT going to help 'you' in ANY whatsoever.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am That's the beating heart of philosophy as far as I'm concerned.
'What' IS the so-called 'beating heart of philosophy', EXACTLY, as far as you are concerned?
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am Legends speak of sophos-es, they who've tamed the Antichrist. :mrgreen:
BUT, UNTIL 'you', adult human beings, have been 'tamed' the 'antichrist' was NEVER 'tamed'. And, at the rate 'we' are going here and at what 'you' ARE DOING and SHOWING here 'that taming' is still quite some way off.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am As for time, Age, all I can say is that time as we know
Who and/or what does the 'we' word here refer to, EXACTLY?

From as far as I can tell 'we' to 'me' here is VASTLY DIFFERENT from 'we', to 'you', here.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am it is simply (to stick ma neck out for the executioner's axe) a convenience as opposed to a hard (perhaps painful) fact.
I am NOT sure if you read, and/or comprehended, when I SAID and WROTE, above here;
what a LOT of 'you', people, mean or refer to as 'time' is CERTAINLY 'AN ILLUSION'.

But you NEVER sought ANY CLARITY, AT ALL, in regards to what 'this' MEANT so you may well have completely and utterly MISUNDERSTOOD or MISINTERPRETED what 'this' MEANS, EXACTLY. And, from what you have SAID and WRITTEN here you may well have.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am Others, higher up on the ladder of knowing,
There is NO 'ladder of knowing' NOR ANY 'higher steps of knowing'.

EITHER one just KNOWS some 'thing or one does NOT. And, if ANY one does KNOW some 'thing', then they could EXPLAIN 'this KNOWING' to ANY "other" who, OF COURSE, is Truly INTERESTED in LEARNING, and KNOWING, of 'this thing' AS WELL. For example when one KNOWS the ANSWER to ALL the Truly, and literally, MEANING-FULL questions in Life, then that one could, and would, EXPLAIN ALL-OF-THIS in the G.U.T.O.E., that is; to those who are Truly INTERESTED in LEARNING, KNOWING, and UNDERSTANDING 'THIS'.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am have said the same thing in far better and, hardly needs mentioning, clearer terms.
'Time' is JUST 'the measuring of the duration between perceived events'. 'Time', it could be said, literally started with the placing of a stick into the earth and 'measuring the movement of a shadow'. Which, by the way, 'light' is what original devices for 'measuring duration' originated from, EXACTLY. 'Time' is in reference to light and/or the speed of light, and when incorrectly called 'time travel' 'comes to pass', or 'comes to fruition' for 'you' lot, then what was, or is, found was just that traveling faster than the speed of light was all that it could for 'that kind of travel' to happen, and occur.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am Take a gander at this: 0, 1, 2, ...

The number of 'things', like apples, for example.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am I'm not gonna hold my breath for your answer.
Were 'we' expected to hold our breaths WAITING for your answer to my question I posed and asked you, which WAS: What IS 'time', EXACTLY, which 'it' could then be 'an illusion'.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:42 am

And, what you ACTUAL mean and/or are referring to here, EXACTLY, ONLY 'you' KNOW "agent smith".
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am ; my ignorance, which is vast, forbids me to say more.
Okay, BUT this just sounds like an EXCUSE for 'you' just NOT being Truly OPEN and Honest here. Also, BLAMING some 'thing' ELSE for ESSENTIALLY 'your' OWN DOING, or for 'your' OWN LACK OF DOING here, is NOT going to help 'you' in ANY whatsoever.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am That's the beating heart of philosophy as far as I'm concerned.
'What' IS the so-called 'beating heart of philosophy', EXACTLY, as far as you are concerned?
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am Legends speak of sophos-es, they who've tamed the Antichrist. :mrgreen:
BUT, UNTIL 'you', adult human beings, have been 'tamed' the 'antichrist' was NEVER 'tamed'. And, at the rate 'we' are going here and at what 'you' ARE DOING and SHOWING here 'that taming' is still quite some way off.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am As for time, Age, all I can say is that time as we know

From as far as I can tell 'we' to 'me' here is VASTLY DIFFERENT from 'we', to 'you', here.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am it is simply (to stick ma neck out for the executioner's axe) a convenience as opposed to a hard (perhaps painful) fact.
I am NOT sure if you read, and/or comprehended, when I SAID and WROTE, above here;
what a LOT of 'you', people, mean or refer to as 'time' is CERTAINLY 'AN ILLUSION'.

But you NEVER sought ANY CLARITY, AT ALL, in regards to what 'this' MEANT so you may well have completely and utterly MISUNDERSTOOD or MISINTERPRETED what 'this' MEANS, EXACTLY. And, from what you have SAID and WRITTEN here you may well have.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am Others, higher up on the ladder of knowing,

EITHER one just KNOWS some 'thing or one does NOT. And, if ANY one does KNOW some 'thing', then they could EXPLAIN 'this KNOWING' to ANY "other" who, OF COURSE, is Truly INTERESTED in LEARNING, and KNOWING, of 'this thing' AS WELL. For example when one KNOWS the ANSWER to ALL the Truly, and literally, MEANING-FULL questions in Life, then that one could, and would, EXPLAIN ALL-OF-THIS in the G.U.T.O.E., that is; to those who are Truly INTERESTED in LEARNING, KNOWING, and UNDERSTANDING 'THIS'.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am have said the same thing in far better and, hardly needs mentioning, clearer terms.
'Time' is JUST 'the measuring of the duration between perceived events'. 'Time', it could be said, literally started with the placing of a stick into the earth and 'measuring the movement of a shadow'. Which, by the way, 'light' is what original devices for 'measuring duration' originated from, EXACTLY. 'Time' is in reference to light and/or the speed of light, and when incorrectly called 'time travel' 'comes to pass', or 'comes to fruition' for 'you' lot, then what was, or is, found was just that traveling faster than the speed of light was all that it could for 'that kind of travel' to happen, and occur.
Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am Take a gander at this: 0, 1, 2, ...

Agent Smith wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 am I'm not gonna hold my breath for your answer.
Were 'we' expected to hold our breaths WAITING for your answer to my question I posed and asked you, which WAS: What IS 'time', EXACTLY, which 'it' could then be 'an illusion'.
The fragmentation of my post was unexpected. I didn't realize I had made that many points to snipe at.

Anyway, back to the main page (for you and me and everyone too I suppose): What is time?

My practically nonexistent experience is limited to sleep, dreamless sleep and pain, large servings of exquisite dukkha, but for some reason I feel that what you're looking for can be found in your life. There's no need to be alarmed, you don't need superpowers to pull this off. What you'll have to read though is Heidegger! I'm sorry but you'll need to carry your own bags, porters are expensive these days, oui? Bonam fortunam.

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am

The fragmentation of my post was unexpected. I didn't realize I had made that many points to snipe at.
What do you MEAN by 'snipe', EXACTLY?
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am Anyway, back to the main page (for you and me and everyone too I suppose): What is time?
Did you REALLY NOT READ WHERE I EXPLAINED what 'time' IS, EXACTLY?

REMEMBER that the definition for the word 'time', AND the definition for EVERY OTHER WORD, HAS TO FIT IN PERFECTLY WITH the G.U.T.O.E., or in better words the ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth of 'things'.
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am My practically nonexistent experience is limited to sleep, dreamless sleep and pain, large servings of exquisite dukkha, but for some reason I feel that what you're looking for can be found in your life.
What do you ASSUME or PRESUME I am LOOKING FOR, EXACTLY?
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am There's no need to be alarmed, you don't need superpowers to pull this off.
To pull 'what' off, EXACTLY?

WHY do you so often ALLUDE to some 'thing', WITHOUT just providing ACTUAL CLARITY.
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am What you'll have to read though is Heidegger! I'm sorry but you'll need to carry your own bags, porters are expensive these days, oui? Bonam fortunam.
I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA NOR CLUE what you are REFERRING TO here.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:35 am

Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am Anyway, back to the main page (for you and me and everyone too I suppose): What is time?

REMEMBER that the definition for the word 'time', AND the definition for EVERY OTHER WORD, HAS TO FIT IN PERFECTLY WITH the G.U.T.O.E., or in better words the ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth of 'things'.
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am My practically nonexistent experience is limited to sleep, dreamless sleep and pain, large servings of exquisite dukkha, but for some reason I feel that what you're looking for can be found in your life.
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am There's no need to be alarmed, you don't need superpowers to pull this off.

WHY do you so often ALLUDE to some 'thing', WITHOUT just providing ACTUAL CLARITY.
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 am What you'll have to read though is Heidegger! I'm sorry but you'll need to carry your own bags, porters are expensive these days, oui? Bonam fortunam.
Dear Mr/Ms Age,

I hope all is well with you. Me, I'm as healthy as ... I'm feeling brand new! This probably doesn't bode well for a certain section of the population in the small town I live in, but by the grace of God, they're all Buddhists, most of 'em! :mrgreen:

Like I said, read Heidegger!! Learn German or hire a translator or pick up an English translation. What I have done for you is too obvious to state and after reading Heidegger you'll realize that you really didn't need that pen you bought 3 days ago!

Yours faithfully,

Agent Smith 8)

Machine Mainframe

The Matrix

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:50 am

Dear Mr/Ms Age,

I hope all is well with you. Me, I'm as healthy as ... I'm feeling brand new! This probably doesn't bode well for a certain section of the population in the small town I live in, but by the grace of God, they're all Buddhists, most of 'em! :mrgreen:

Like I said, read Heidegger!! Learn German or hire a translator or pick up an English translation.
WHY do you WANT me to READ 'that' for, EXACTLY?
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:50 am What I have done for you is too obvious to state and after reading Heidegger you'll realize that you really didn't need that pen you bought 3 days ago!
What are you 'REFERRING TO' here, EXACTLY, and, what are you 'TRYING TO' IMPLY here, EXACTLY?

WHY do you KEEP ALLUDING, INSTEAD OF JUST EXPLAINING what you ACTUALLY MEAN or are REFERRING TO?

SAYING, what you have done here, laughingly 'for me', is 'too obvious' is just a USELESS COP OUT for NOT EXPLAINING what you think or BELIEVE that 'you' have done here 'for me'.

TELLING me to READ the words of SOME human being is NOT REALLY ACTUALLY DOING ANY 'thing' AT ALL, 'for me'.

WHAT, EXACTLY, do you ENVISION 'I' would GET OUT OF READING the words of that human being?
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:50 am Yours faithfully,

Agent Smith 8)

Machine Mainframe

The Matrix
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Age wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:50 am
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:50 am

Dear Mr/Ms Age,

Like I said, read Heidegger!! Learn German or hire a translator or pick up an English translation.
WHY do you WANT me to READ 'that' for, EXACTLY?
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:50 am What I have done for you is too obvious to state and after reading Heidegger you'll realize that you really didn't need that pen you bought 3 days ago!
What are you 'REFERRING TO' here, EXACTLY, and, what are you 'TRYING TO' IMPLY here, EXACTLY?

WHY do you KEEP ALLUDING, INSTEAD OF JUST EXPLAINING what you ACTUALLY MEAN or are REFERRING TO?

SAYING, what you have done here, laughingly 'for me', is 'too obvious' is just a USELESS COP OUT for NOT EXPLAINING what you think or BELIEVE that 'you' have done here 'for me'.

TELLING me to READ the words of SOME human being is NOT REALLY ACTUALLY DOING ANY 'thing' AT ALL, 'for me'.

WHAT, EXACTLY, do you ENVISION 'I' would GET OUT OF READING the words of that human being?
Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:50 am Yours faithfully,

Agent Smith 8)

Machine Mainframe

The Matrix
Per a friggin', friggin' long article, in a rather dubious journal from Kenya, there are exactly 134, 587, 333, 189 individual hairs on any chimpanzee. Proceed!

P. S. I'm not from Belgium
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:44 pm
Mmm, just as I suspected.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Amazing how much this thread makes me feel like the main character in Memento must have felt.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Harbal wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:05 pm
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Agent Smith wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:05 pm
Harbal wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:05 pm
Wow. This is like Guy Pearce putting information in his skin!!!!