An Ardent lover of Sophia.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ShivaJim

An Ardent lover of Sophia.

Post by ShivaJim »

Pythagoras was the first lover of Sophia, the first philosopher (philos = to lover + Sophy = Philosophy). Few of us follow philosophy back to its roots, and still regard Pythagoras as a mathematician rather than the "Buddha of the West." Pythagoras traveled to the temple caves of Ellora and Elphanta and found most of the metaphors we use for God there. Sophia is a Westernized version of the Wisdom Mother of India and Shakti, the Holy Spirit of the Hindus. Cut to Alexandria Egypt where the Book of Holy Wisdom was written in Greek during a time when philosophy dominated intellectual discussion where Solomon, the author of the Book of Holy Wisdom (Hagia Sophia) that the Jewish Solomon was also a big lover of Sophia, a philosopher. Sophia in the Septuagint Bible is the Being of God who grants us Enlightenment, and the Person in whom we have intimate knowledge of God. The goal of meditating on Sophia was Enlightenment. For those who don't recognize Her in the Judeo-Christian tradition, She was rejected by saint and Roman Emperor Constantine at the Council of Nicaea, so this is actually an alternative history you don't hear much about. Some call it a "mild heresy."
I wrote a book on it, HAIL SOPHI The Holy Spirit of Wisdom, that accentuates the experiential and mystical roots of Christianity. Remember all those words about mystics, mysteries, mystical are derived from the Greek "mystos." A mystic in ancient times was a member of a Mystery Sects popular with philosophers in Alexandria Egypt. I also have a website at jimmcgilbrith.com if you want to check it out.
I will probably be posting quite a bit on the philosophy of God and similar forums. I am looking forward to some good conversations.
Agent Smith

Re: An Ardent lover of Sophia.

Post by Agent Smith »

:mrgreen:

Have ya heard of Pythagoras?

I have!

Me too!

Pytha who?

Pythagoras, dunderhead! Greek, math guy, a square plus b square is equal to ...

c square! Aaah! Know him! Why are we talking about Pythagoras?

Beats me!

Random! Oh look, there's Margo, why is she running?