The Contradiction of the Point

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: The Contradiction of the Point

Post by Gary Childress »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:40 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:51 pmI hope you are right, Wizard22. As best I can reckon, the alternative to that claim is very unsettling to think about. My own death is also very unpleasant to think about. Will I ever reach a point where I must choose between one or the other? Where I must choose between solipsism or else come to an end? Being presented with that dilemma is the greatest fear imaginable to me. I pray there is no such dilemma. They are both equally horrible.

I give this knowledge to others in the hope that it is the right thing to do.
Consciousness of all lifeforms 'wakes up to' Existence larger and greater than itself.

The Ego defends itself against the Unknown, using Fear, recoiling 'inward', the first instinct and emotion.

I think that's what people interpret as Godliness and Divinity, after confronting Existence.
It is not what it is
Just don't do it
Let's not roll with this

🤷‍♂️
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Age wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:59 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:44 pm
Age wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:57 am

VERY True, and ACTUALLY IRREFUTABLY True AS WELL

But I NEVER WROTE such 'things'.

Are you SURE you are SEEING and READING the ACTUAL WORDS that I AM SAYING and WRITING here?

The quality of being able to, or being endowed with the capacity to, reason.
This will cut to the chase:
What IS 'the chase'? And, what WILL 'cut to' 'the chase'?
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:44 pm What is reason?
1. Do you know what a dictionary IS?

2. Do you know how to USE a dictionary?

Now, the dictionary that I looked in had eight different 'definitions', or 'answers' to your 'question' here. Would you like all eight of them, or just one particular one of them, or would you like don't 'thing' ELSE here?

If you were MORE SPECIFIC with your QUESTIONING here, then I can be MORE SPECIFIC with MY ANSWERS, FOR you.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:44 pm Can you explain reason without using reasoning in a meaningless circle?
YES.

But are you even ABLE to SEE or COMPREHEND 'things' IN A NON MEANINGLESS CIRCLE?
1. So reason is defined according to the dictionary. The definitions provided in a dictionary are words, what are the defintions to those words and so on and so forth? How to you avoid either a circle or infinite regress?

2. Explain reasoning then with using reasoning.

3. And what is a non-meaningless circle?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:16 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:48 pmAre they really? Because to observe an object is to incorporate it into thought, to incorporate it into thought is to incorporate it within the self. Group observation of an object is multiple subjective states aligning. Individual observation of an object is the multiple angles of the self aligning (i.e. observing the stove is hot requires the eyes, skin, so on an so forth. Observing a play results in the manifestation of different emotional states.). Objectivity requires multiplicity and multiplicity requires distinction. Distinction requires one thing standing apart from another and with this comes contradiction.
Yes, objects are not mind-reliant. Objects exist without perceiving them. When you go to sleep at night, the Moon, the Sun, the Earth, the Universe doesn't stop existing.
Unless everything is mind if mind is defined strictly as 'interactions'.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:58 pm 2. This distance between two points is a division of a point into two.
No it's not, by definition you can't divide points :)
Points are just coordinates, not actual things with extensions, so there's nothing there that could be divided.

Post by Age »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:56 pm
Age wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:59 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:44 pm

This will cut to the chase:
What IS 'the chase'? And, what WILL 'cut to' 'the chase'?
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:44 pm What is reason?
1. Do you know what a dictionary IS?

2. Do you know how to USE a dictionary?

Now, the dictionary that I looked in had eight different 'definitions', or 'answers' to your 'question' here. Would you like all eight of them, or just one particular one of them, or would you like don't 'thing' ELSE here?

If you were MORE SPECIFIC with your QUESTIONING here, then I can be MORE SPECIFIC with MY ANSWERS, FOR you.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:44 pm Can you explain reason without using reasoning in a meaningless circle?
YES.

But are you even ABLE to SEE or COMPREHEND 'things' IN A NON MEANINGLESS CIRCLE?
1. So reason is defined according to the dictionary.
Now WHY did 'you' REASON 'this' out?

WHAT REASON did 'you' HAVE for ARRIVING AT this REASON and/or CONCLUSION?

WHY did 'you' ALONE REASON OUT 'this', THIS WAY?
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:56 pm The definitions provided in a dictionary are words, what are the defintions to those words and so on and so forth? How to you avoid either a circle or infinite regress?
But one can NOT. And this is JUST BECAUSE 'these things' EVENTUALLY CIRCLE BACK, TO the IRREFUTABLE CONCLUSION, and BECAUSE the Universe IS infinite, and ETERNAL.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:56 pm 2. Explain reasoning then with using reasoning.
Okay.
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:56 pm 3. And what is a non-meaningless circle?
What do 'you' even MEAN by and with the USE of the words, 'non-meaningless circle'?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:58 pmUnless everything is mind if mind is defined strictly as 'interactions'.
Why would a mind be defined as such?