Why the Scientific FSK is the Most Credible and Reliable

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: Why the Scientific FSK is the Most Credible and Reliable

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:12 am
The general problem with VA's post here is that it doesn't even amount to an argument. It is a disjointed set of assertions. Note the finish: after not having supported his assertion, he then tries to shift the burden to someone with a different opinion.

A little detail then:
His first apparant support:
By now 2023, I believe it is common knowledge for any one who is rational to accept the above without doubts even given that Science has its own weaknesses and limitations.
An appeal to popularity or perhaps self-evidence.
When I claim scientific [also mathematics] facts are the most credible and reliable in terms of credibility, reliability & Objectivity to contrast to non-scientific facts, I am comparing the best of the best of their results.
This is a stacking the death fallacy or decision.
How is that rational. To demonstrate that FSK 1 is the best, I will only look at the good results. And notice: this goes against the scientific FSK itself. So, whatever FSK he is using to evaluate FSKs is not the scientific one. Is the one he is using more accurate than the scientific FSK. What evidence does he have that it works?

Next he announces his plan for evaluation:
To compare credibility we can use the following criteria to rate each field of knowledge, i.e. Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK].

The nine main characteristics of science are as follows:
https://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/scie ... ined/35060
  • 1. Objectivity
    2. Verifiability
    3. Ethical Neutrality
    4. Systematic Exploration
    5. Reliability
    6. Precision
    7. Accuracy
    8. Abstractness
But then does not do this.
Let's just double check: the title of the thread is 'why the scientific FSK is the most credible and reliable'. But this is not demonstrated. And let me be clear: it's not just that the argument fails. There is no argument. In this part of his post he talks about what he might do, but does not do.

Then we get the odd...
To the above I would add "utility" and contribution to the well-being of humanity taking into account its potential dangers as well.
Here it is not about truth but how helpful the FSK turns out to be. I don't think that's Ethically Neutral, one of the original criteria.

He goes on with the plan:
To evaluate and compare the credibility, reliability and objectivity, we will prepare a proper format to list down all the relevant criteria with appropriate weightings.
The FSK that has the highest score would have the highest credibility, reliability, and objectivity.
A circular plan with not defined adjectives like 'appropriate'.
I have not come across a prepared computation, but intuitively based on present knowledge and views, I predict Science [or mathematics] will come up as the top two.
And here he admits two things in that first clause: he hoped to find such an evaluation, not actually carry it out. So, 1) he never intended to do this and has not done it here and 2) he can't find someone else who has done this. The second clause means 'he believes the assertion that science is the best FSK.

So we're gone through a lot of responsible sounding intentions of something that he did not intend to do himself and are left with absolutely not support for his thesis at all.

Note: we may have all sorts of sympathy for his belief - that science is the most credible FSK, but this post shows little understanding of how one supports an idea.

Then we find out that instead of support his post is a prediction...
Any one who disagrees with my prediction, name me which non-science FSKs that would have a higher degree of credibility, reliability and objectivity than Science or mathematics?
It's good that all he is asking for, at this point, is the name of the non-science FSK.
But this is a burden shift maneuver. Suddenly you, I predict, will find yourself expected to justify, as opposed to what he has done, your position.

One interesting thing is that he has a non-science FSK that he used to arrive at his conclusion that science is the best FSK. Perhaps he could present that FSK and justify that one.

One could respond something like this:
My intuition is the best FSK. My common sense in 2023 tells me it is the most effective. I plan to someday evaluate it using the following criteria:
  • 1. Objectivity
    2. Verifiability
    3. Ethical Neutrality
    4. Systematic Exploration
    5. Reliability
    6. Precision
    7. Accuracy
    8. Abstractness
I haven't done this yet nor have I found someone else having done this online. I predict it will be justified at some point in the future. I also notice that VA agrees with me, in relation to his own intuition, which he uses to evaluate other FSKs.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"We can talk about it you know," Tom proposed. "No, I don't wanna talk about it!" came the angry reply from Dick. Harry, who'd been sitting on the other side of the room opined, "This conversation is making me feel very Christain. Are you guys trying to convert me?" "You're christian, a catholic at that, In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti kinda zombie worshipper, dumbo!" Tom barked. "Hahaha Tom, you're funny!! But I'm being serious. I feel like kneeling down and praying, where's my crucifix?" Harry was already searching for his crucifix, the one he'd bought in Seattle on a rainy, rainy day.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Question: Generally it is claimed that Scientific Knowledge [with its limitations and weaknesses] is the most credible and reliable source of knowledge.
Are there any surveys, polls or research done to confirm the above claim? Please provide reference if any.
  • ChatGPT:
    Yes, there have been several surveys and studies conducted to explore public perceptions of the credibility and reliability of scientific knowledge. Here are some examples:

The Pew Research Center conducted a survey in 2019 on public attitudes towards science. The survey found that a majority of Americans (79%) believe that science has made life easier for most people, and 64% say that government investment in scientific research pays off in the long run. However, the survey also revealed that a significant minority (36%) of Americans have doubts about the scientific consensus on climate change, and 20% are skeptical of the safety and effectiveness of vaccines.
    Reference: https://www.pewresearch.org/science/201 ... c-experts/

A study published in the journal Public Understanding of Science in 2018 examined the factors that influence public trust in scientific research. The study found that trust in science is strongly influenced by the perceived credibility of scientific institutions, as well as by personal values and beliefs. The study also found that trust in science is often influenced by political and ideological factors.
    Reference: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 2517741333

A survey conducted by the British Science Association in 2018 found that 82% of adults in the UK think that science has had a positive impact on society. However, the survey also revealed that many people are unsure about certain scientific concepts, such as the difference between a virus and a bacteria.
    Reference: https://www.britishscienceassociation.o ... on-society

Overall, these surveys and studies suggest that scientific knowledge is generally viewed as credible and reliable by the public, but there is also some skepticism and uncertainty about certain scientific issues.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:12 am When I made the claim re the OP, I often get queried why the Scientific facts, truths and knowledge are the most credible and reliable.

Your posts are just pollution
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Scientific method is the best way known thus far to answer scientific questions. It is a shit way to answer questions about poetry.
There is no purpose to a hierarchical ranking system for various fileds of enquiry as each is only suited to the right sort of question.
VA gets questioned about his stupid ranking method because it is entirely stupid, not because it would benefit from slight improvement.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:03 pm Scientific method is the best way known thus far to answer scientific questions. It is a shit way to answer questions about poetry.
There is no purpose to a hierarchical ranking system for various fileds of enquiry as each is only suited to the right sort of question.
VA gets questioned about his stupid ranking method because it is entirely stupid, not because it would benefit from slight improvement.
Sounds like you are saying that questions shouldn’t be ranked against each other; and that no question is more important than any other question.

Otherwise you would have already told us what the best way to answer the most important questions is.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sun May 07, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

The lingering remnants of my spiritually only permits a 99.9% endorsement of the OP's claim. I'm sure I'll be merely echoing someone else as to the reason why I'm reluctantly pro-science so I'll maintain radio silence.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:03 pm Scientific method is the best way known thus far to answer scientific questions. It is a shit way to answer questions about poetry.
Yes its a bt like evaluating the meaning of the Mona Lisa by the chemical analysis of the paint used.
VA has not lost the plot, he never had it to lose.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:37 pm
Yes its a bt like evaluating the meaning of the Mona Lisa by the chemical analysis of the paint used.
VA has not lost the plot, he never had it to lose.
🤣

Neat!
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

The British Raj spans nearly 6 centuries. Please don't quote me though, I have mem issues. What happened during those years is not up for debate; nevertheless, I pray the canis gets there before the lupus.
Veritas Aequitas

Peter Holmes wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:46 am
ALL humans are evolved and are programmed with basic evolved-Framework and System of Reality [FSR[ and Knowledge [FSK].
These basic FSKs continue to evolve into different FSKs for example the emergence of the science-FSK which is the most credible and reliable.
But the reason why natural sciences provide the most credible and reliable knowledge is because they discover facts about reality. You want it both ways: 'there are no independent facts; but the sciences discover independent facts.' What codswallop.
Note my counter to your above in this post;
viewtopic.php?p=642746#p642746
You're a coward to ignore it.

Why the Natural Science-FSK has the highest credibility is not because it has discovered what you defined as 'fact' or "fact of the matter".
Your 'what is fact' or "fact of the matter" is illusory.
As such natural scientists will never discover your 'what is fact' and 'the fact of the matter'.

Note this;
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39585
depend on the various criteria as listed therein.

The scientific FSK has accepted many 'scientific facts' and discarded them thereafter when new evidences proved otherwise.

Whatever natural scientists discover as scientific facts must be conditioned upon the human-based scientific FSK.
What are scientific facts are true as long as they satisfy the conditions and requirements of the human-based scientific FSK.

No true scientists will claim their human-based FSK scientific facts are the absolute independent fact and the-matter of fact.

Scientists are deluded if they insist 'water is H20' in the absolute independent sense without any qualification to the scientific FSK.

Note I have stated, at present most scientists do no accept the statement 'water is H20' because they know this statement is not highly true. In this case, it would be insulting to their intelligence to insist 'water is H20'.

Note this thread;
PH: The Fact of the Matter; or Delusion
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40081
Prove to me, the fact of the matter exists as real?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:01 am Question: Generally it is claimed that Scientific Knowledge [with its limitations and weaknesses] is the most credible and reliable source of knowledge.
Are there any surveys, polls or research done to confirm the above claim? Please provide reference if any.
  • ChatGPT:
    Yes, there have been several surveys and studies conducted to explore public perceptions of the credibility and reliability of scientific knowledge. Here are some examples:

The Pew Research Center conducted a survey in 2019 on public attitudes towards science. The survey found that a majority of Americans (79%) believe that science has made life easier for most people, and 64% say that government investment in scientific research pays off in the long run. However, the survey also revealed that a significant minority (36%) of Americans have doubts about the scientific consensus on climate change, and 20% are skeptical of the safety and effectiveness of vaccines.

A study published in the journal Public Understanding of Science in 2018 examined the factors that influence public trust in scientific research. The study found that trust in science is strongly influenced by the perceived credibility of scientific institutions, as well as by personal values and beliefs. The study also found that trust in science is often influenced by political and ideological factors.

A survey conducted by the British Science Association in 2018 found that 82% of adults in the UK think that science has had a positive impact on society. However, the survey also revealed that many people are unsure about certain scientific concepts, such as the difference between a virus and a bacteria.

Overall, these surveys and studies suggest that scientific knowledge is generally viewed as credible and reliable by the public, but there is also some skepticism and uncertainty about certain scientific issues.
If this is taken as evidence that science is credible and reliable then we have an FSK for determining things that is being presented as better than the Science FSK, since that isn't the Science FSK.
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:24 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:01 am Question: Generally it is claimed that Scientific Knowledge [with its limitations and weaknesses] is the most credible and reliable source of knowledge.
  • ChatGPT:

If this is taken as evidence that science is credible and reliable then we have an FSK for determining things that is being presented as better than the Science FSK, since that isn't the Science FSK.
The above are merely related to the 'polling FSK' in the numbers recognizing the credibility and reliability of the scientific FSK giving a semblance and clue of its recognition.

If one were to do a poll [from the world's population] of whether theism and theology is credible and reliable, we may get a majority 80% yes; that is because 80% of humans at present are theists.

On Why the Scientific FSK [in relation to all other FSKs] is the most credible and reliable we have to fall back on this;

Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:26 am Why the Scientific FSK is the Most Credible and Reliable
Which is an FSK. Is it more credible and reliable than science? That was my point.
And you granted my other point which was popularity does not mean that science is credible and reliable.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:12 am When I made the claim re the OP, I often get queried why the Scientific facts, truths and knowledge are the most credible and reliable.
IN another thread you are claiming that mind independent reality is absurd.
Sadly you have not joined up the dots since you "FSK" nonsense is nothing if not utterly reliant on realism.

It is utterly painful seeing your brain grind into some sort of reason over the years.