Thinking is pattern recognition

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Thinking is pattern recognition

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:15 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:15 pm Patterns can be divided into 6 categories, namely logic, rules, concepts, analogies, images, and connections. You are familiar with the pattern of logic so I give you an example rule: All students who work hard and are smart enough get good marks.
So, when we are illogical, we aren't thinking?
No.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:15 pm An image is not a pattern. A series of images might be a pattern. I can see an image I've never seen before.
Do you forget how were instructive images when you were taught geometry?
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:15 pm Why does everyone have to use reductionism?
Why not?
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:15 pm Why can't complexity be complexity?
A brain is still a complex object.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:15 pm Hey, I just remembered an exception to that rule about students. Not a pattern, an exception.
But you know what a rule is.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:15 pm Ooh, I hate that guy at the gas station.
Not pattern recognition.
That is a concept and I understand it.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:11 am
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:15 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:53 am Thinking certainly includes recognizing patterns. But it is a lot of other things also. The OP is asserting something. It didnt do this but it might 'give and example'. Perhaps when reading it we remember something unrelated and think about that. A later argument may use 'deduction'.
Patterns can be divided into 6 categories, namely logic, rules, concepts, analogies, images, and connections. You are familiar with the pattern of logic so I give you an example rule: All students who work hard and are smart enough get good marks.
But it is ONLY those people who COPY and FOLLOW "others" 'teachings' who get so-called 'good marks'.

SEE, and OBVIOUSLY, A 'student' could so-called 'work hard' and be VERY so-called 'smart' but NOT get so-called 'good marks' BECAUSE 'it' provides answers, which may well be FAR MORE True, Right, and/or Correct but which are NOT the answers being 'sought after'.

So, I suggest that if one would like to provide an example of a 'pattern of ACTUAL logic', then they provide an ACTUAL 'good' or 'working' example of 'logic', itself.
A good example of logic: Socrates is a man, all men are mortal, therefore Socrates is mortal.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:43 pm
Age wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:11 am
bahman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:15 pm
Patterns can be divided into 6 categories, namely logic, rules, concepts, analogies, images, and connections. You are familiar with the pattern of logic so I give you an example rule: All students who work hard and are smart enough get good marks.
But it is ONLY those people who COPY and FOLLOW "others" 'teachings' who get so-called 'good marks'.

SEE, and OBVIOUSLY, A 'student' could so-called 'work hard' and be VERY so-called 'smart' but NOT get so-called 'good marks' BECAUSE 'it' provides answers, which may well be FAR MORE True, Right, and/or Correct but which are NOT the answers being 'sought after'.

So, I suggest that if one would like to provide an example of a 'pattern of ACTUAL logic', then they provide an ACTUAL 'good' or 'working' example of 'logic', itself.
A good example of logic: Socrates is a man, all men are mortal, therefore Socrates is mortal.
Although that example is STILL NOT sound, 'it' IS SOMEWHAT BETTER an example than your previous one here.