In The News

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: In The News

Post by commonsense »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:02 pm "?"

i think i wuz using some kind of screwy logic to argue that since tall black dudes that u don't know at your door late at night can be as scary as a guys with ski masks on, and that if Forrest Whitey Whitaker is being charged for a hate crime, so should eveyone who has ever shot a guy in a ski mask.

I'm tryna infer that FWW's fear wuz not something derived from a rational assessment of race... one which led him to believe black people should be hated and/or shot. Rather it was a genuine fear originating from an unconscious stereotyping of black people.

let's say the guy just saw seven breaking news reports of some black guy robbing or shooting someone in the last two weeks. this is sufficient for someone to be justified in having a fear of black people. but u wouldn't shoot em becuz they were black. you'd shoot em becuz you were afraid. and being afraid of something doesn't mean you 'hate' it.

Now this prolly wouldn't fly in a philosophy logic class but shirley it would work in a court room.
How would you apply this to firing a second shot after disabling the black one?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

if the governor of florida wuz a liberal democrat, everything desantis is doing to Disney would be called more leftist government regulation on private business. but becuz Disney is interpreted as an institution of woke culture (cross dressing cartoon characters, etc) and therefore immoral, it is okay and even necessary for government to step in and stop em.

so depending in which side you're on, desantis is a righteous hero and moral champion of the people or another evil leftist trying to stop u from making money (Disney employs 75,000 people btw) and interfering in all your business shit.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

all don lemon has to do to get his job back is claim that he's a woman (he's already gay) and his rude comments to women on the morning show won't be given any special attention or raise suspicion of sexism becuz he'd also be a woman.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:08 am all don lemon has to do to get his job back is claim that he's a woman (he's already gay) and his rude comments to women on the morning show won't be given any special attention or raise suspicion of sexism becuz he'd also be a woman.
It doesn’t work that way. A misogynist doesn’t have to be a man. Look it up.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Walker wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:10 pm - Let's face the truth.
- So-called Climate Change is a political movement, not a scientific movement.
You've been so set on declaring some legacy for Trump as the best president ever, while I regard him as the most brazenly insane. But neither of us is really right. It's true that in the short term (of 2 or 3 decades) he will most famously be the first American president to be convicted of a felony and probably the first to die in prison too.

But in the long term he will be the last to fight on the side of global warming, the last one to ignore the science and live the lie with people like you. Things like this graph will determine how we as a civilisation get remembered collectively.
https://www.wired.com/story/an-ominous- ... he-oceans/

History won't be very kind.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Kaitlin is killin Trump right now lol. This shit is so funny. He's doing everything he can to dodge the questions but Kait won't let go. The amount of wall built, the presidential act and the declassified documents, a federal abortion ban, the not rigged election.

"You're a very nasty person" - Trump (to Kaitlin)

She looks so good in that white suit. An Alabama Aries.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

This recent rape and defamation case is bullshit tho. Trump is the type to sexually harass a woman but he'd never sexually assault a woman.

This is clearly a designed scandal to interfere with elections.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Climate change ... feels so movie ta me. I can see the citizens of filmdom in the great hall of theater, 4 per round, exquisitely draped, table, waiting for the announcement to be made. And the Oscar for the best movie goes to ... thunderous applause!

I didn't realize this but nobody seems to give a flyin' fuck about prizes these days or what's more likely I'm miserably uninformed - haven't turned on the idiot box for the last 5 years or so.

There was a time, 4 or 5 decades ago, when newsworthy events were as rare as blue moons; plus the earth spun more slowly then. Now, a man trips over a cat and it's in the bloody papers and splashed all across your TV's screen.

Climate change ... Momma Nature's reconfigure-the-planet plan? This is a problem, assuming it's one, for sophī and I might've just seen/heard/met one. Let's see, but don't get yer hopes too high, there are at least a trillion ways things could go deep south. 😁

One more thing. Meteorology is a baby and babies babble.

Post by Age »

promethean75 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:22 am This recent rape and defamation case is bullshit tho. Trump is the type to sexually harass a woman but he'd never sexually assault a woman.
What is the ACTUAL DIFFERENCE between 'sexual assault' and 'sexual harassment'?

And, how, EXACTLY, do you supposedly KNOW 'the types' of people who WOULD DEFINITELY DO SOME 'things' FROM THOSE OTHER 'types' of people WHO WOULD DEFINITELY NOT DO SOME 'things'?
promethean75 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:22 am This is clearly a designed scandal to interfere with elections.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

desantis signs bills putting more restrictions on transgenders saying 'we will remain a citidal of normalcy and our children should reflect that' something something.

now i agree with him but I don't get to the conclusion the same way he would.

what i believe is that in a democracy, people who share a society should be able to assemble into majority groups and make rules and laws for that society. this is not becuz it is 'morally right', whatever that means, or that the majority ought to be able to do that. i say no such thing. rather this power is an expression of a union of preferences and opinions that are the most prevalent among a people, becoming so becuz they worked so well for so long. culture, in a word. it's stabilizing force btw.

so then if a majority of people decide that to have the privilege of using space x (a bathroom), one must have had at birth the gender to which space x is assigned, they are perfectly within reason to effect that rule in society, regardless of the transgenders in that society who disagree.... and incidentally are the great minority. hey I'm also in a minority. my group believes that not being able to climb traffic light poles and eat applesauce is a bullshit law. okay but why are the transgender issues any less arbitrary than this? omg it's an 'identity' issue, something existential, something intimate, something utterly ethical. no man it's all arbitrary.

if in an alternate universe there's a planet that's been overrun by transgender people and that difference - that arbitrary fact of people getting surgical implants and behaving like a man/woman - doesn't effect the overall general consensus on that planet that life is good, then i see no reason to condem it.

but here on this planet, we like the idea of being the gender u were born as and not counting surgical augmentation as a license to act like a pansy or a butch, depending on your orientation. nothing is so cringe, so odd and unusual, as to watch a person act and behave like the gender they are not. no other animal does it like a human being.

I stand by desantis and we have to stop this madness. especially in Florida where it's the worst. ever see one of those roller blading gay guys on the Miami beach boardwalk before?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Dr. Cornel West is running as a third party candidate and if i thought it mattered, I'd vote for em. i would love nothing than more than to see this bleeding heart soap-box pseudo intellectual who even while being a total clown is leagues beyond anyone else running for president, philosophically, get into the white house. 
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:50 pm You've been so set on declaring some legacy for Trump as the best president ever, while I regard him as the most brazenly insane. But neither of us is really right. It's true that in the short term (of 2 or 3 decades) he will most famously be the first American president to be convicted of a felony and probably the first to die in prison too.
Steve Bannon referred to Trump as “an armor piercing shell”. Riddled with imperfections but potent. The System’s opposition to him has been and is far more the problem than is Trump (in all his personal imperfections). In fact Trump has done something extraordinary — he has been the trigger (a trigger) to animate the conservative reversal that is developing. Strangely, I admit, but America is quite strange indeed. I will definitely vote for the man as an act of solidarity.

He was the “wrong” man for the role fate assigned to him, but he rose to the occasion. I can admire that.

He set in motion (being a major trigger but not the only one) that will have decades of influence. Difficult stuff, difficult times, but it had to happen.

Very hard to say, today, where the “brazen insanity” resides.

That the System has initiated charges against him, the purpose being to embroil him in controversy to inhibit his popularity, is a genuinely stupid move. That action is empowering a wider opposition. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind. Lots and lots of trouble stands before us, but this is how it has to be.
But in the long term he will be the last to fight on the side of global warming, the last one to ignore the science and live the lie with people like you. Things like this graph will determine how we as a civilisation get remembered collectively.
Man initiated climate change is a complete scam. It is a psy-op. Extra CO2 is a boon. The present climate cycle is real, but normal. Your alliance with it (a rational and “concerned” front that gives power to a mass-scam) is actually where the “brazen insanity” (of one sort) is located.

See Alex Epstein

See Dr. Patrick Moore
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:01 pm But you have accepted similarly absurd descriptions of CRT from people like IC even though what is described is absurd nonsense that nobody with a brain would believe. If you allow hyper-partisan ultra-conservatives like IC to tell you what to believe about progressive causes you will embrace ignorance until such time as you are finally just written off as more puppet than man.
I had been immersed in Left and Progressive politics and activism for many years. I chose for intellectually sound reasons to reconsider former (ideological) commitments and that has led to a (more) critical posture in general.

One strong influence that has helped to see into the inner levels of Critical Theory has been James Lindsay.

CRT is deeply linked ideologically to Marxist praxis (activism, foment) which I definitely reject and it can thus been seen (labeled generally) as a tool of Marxist undermining.

My commitment is to a total and adamant opposition to it. Largely, I accept Lindsay’s analysis.

Though I have read tons of theory-infused material, I was still considering ordering a specific compendium of CRT essays. One should read the material in the original.

You make a significant mistake when you attempt to set up IC as the reason CRT and CT is not flawed and critiquable. IC did not define or explain why CRT should be discredited. He has his own angles of course. But his position on it does not define its validity or lack of validity. Your assertion is fallacious in a classic sense.

Your own ideological extremism is what I would turn my own lens to examine. I’d wager that critical self-examination would be very difficult for you. And that is generally a sign that it is needed.

This type of statement is what I am talking about:
even though what is described is absurd nonsense that nobody with a brain would believe.
Oh really?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

LGBTQ+ Flag hoisted above American flag at US Capitol

The West has officially Fallen...I T S O V E R.