The Primary Utility of Theism is Psychological

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

The Primary Utility of Theism [theology] is merely Psychological, i.e. to soothe the existential angst.
In contrast Science and other fields of knowledge and beliefs has directly contributed to the progress of humanity.

It is true when Science and other knowledge were in their infancy, theism was critically necessary to provide the mental comforts to enable theists to operate normally; this acceptance of theism is not without its cons, but it was a net-pro situation over its cons then or even now. Because theists are the majority, the rest has to tolerate it.

But with the advances in Science and other evidence-based rationally based knowledge, it is time for humanity to relegate theistic religions to the basements or strive to get rid of it toward the FUTURE since the inherent cons of theism are outweighing its pros.

The point is the primary utility of theism is merely psychological.
With the advent and exponential expansion of evidence-based knowledge [in contrast to faith-based theology] we are now in a position to seek non-theistic psychological approaches to soothe the inevitable unavoidable existential angst or existential crisis.

Views?
attofishpi

Re: The Primary Utility of Theism is Psychological

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:51 am The Primary Utility of Theism [theology] is merely Psychological, i.e. to soothe the existential angst.
In contrast Science and other fields of knowledge and beliefs has directly contributed to the progress of humanity.

It is true when Science and other knowledge were in their infancy, theism was critically necessary to provide the mental comforts to enable theists to operate normally; this acceptance of theism is not without its cons, but it was a net-pro situation over its cons then or even now. Because theists are the majority, the rest has to tolerate it.

But with the advances in Science and other evidence-based rationally based knowledge, it is time for humanity to relegate theistic religions to the basements or strive to get rid of it toward the FUTURE since the inherent cons of theism are outweighing its pros.

The point is the primary utility of theism is merely psychological.
With the advent and exponential expansion of evidence-based knowledge [in contrast to faith-based theology] we are now in a position to seek non-theistic psychological approaches to soothe the inevitable unavoidable existential angst or existential crisis.

Views?
Yes, what do you make of my observation that it is the irrational wankers that think they are philosophically minded that tend to overuse the term "existential"?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

It's very strange and I must be confused on this point but it would seem like an OP with the title.....
with the following as it's topic sentence...
The Primary Utility of Theism [theology] is merely Psychological, i.e. to soothe the existential angst.
would have fit rather well here....
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39204
in a thread called
Theism Soothes the Existential Angst
Now in fairness, VA created this thread two whole days after the other thread. So, perhaps it is a short-term memory to long-term memory transfer issue. Or, perhaps, he doesn't yet know the difference between a thread and a post.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Good point. He might need to visit the doctor and get that checked out.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:57 am Good point. He might need to visit the doctor and get that checked out.
Of course, I missed the third possibility...
his fear of death puts him in a fugue state.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:05 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:57 am Good point. He might need to visit the doctor and get that checked out.
Of course, I missed the third possibility...
his fear of death puts him in a fugue state.
Yes, I have been considering this.

I don't know anyone that actually fears death. People fear pain far more than death.

I HONESTLY believe that Veritas has an existential fear of death!! The dude is crapping himself.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:46 am
Yes, I have been considering this.

I don't know anyone that actually fears death. People fear pain far more than death.

I HONESTLY believe that Veritas has an existential fear of death!! The dude is crapping himself.
Maybe because you can never know what another person is feeling.

Personally, I would be crapping myself too at the thought of my impending death, especially if it was an event that was beyond my control that I did not make happen, like what happened to all those people in the twin towers in new york.

Do you even imagine for one minute those people caught up in the event of 911 were not crapping themselves? obviously we cannot know what others are feeling, but I know I would have been crapping myself if it had happened to me.