Virtual Reality - is awesome

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Virtual Reality - is awesome

Post by attofishpi »

Ok.

So, I've been into VR some years now.

I have just been playing pool with a 62 yr old guy from south Louisiana, that's got physical disability, was in the military....and it was brillliant.

The game is designed so well, that he was in a recliner chair - I was stood up in my lounge, the dog pissed me off once, but that's ok because he is awesome.

Lining up shots, listening to utube music in the background...having a beer resting on the arm rest of the couch...waiting for the football to kickoff. Looks like atto is in for an all nighter!!!

But honestly, the social aspect and the fact that THIS disabled guy used to play pool, and I could tell - he was good, knew which shots to take to best position the cue ball etc...AMAZING.

So now atto can play pool with anyone with the tech across the world and chat with them (hence annoy them) ...in his own lounge room - BRILLIANT!!
Flannel Jesus

Re: Virtual Reality - is awesome

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I honestly wish I liked it. I get dizzy in that shit, start feeling seasick. I'm sure there are, or will be, some absolutely amazing games that I would love if it didn't make me feel like poo.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:24 pm I honestly wish I liked it. I get dizzy in that shit, start feeling seasick. I'm sure there are, or will be, some absolutely amazing games that I would love if it didn't make me feel like poo.
I've rarely had any issue. For a long time I wondered what the actual issue was, since it (the reality) is fed back to my sense of sight so perfectly.

Well, there is the rub. When a game glitched on me...and the frame rate dropped...ooooh yeah, then I understood what people were complaining about.

Flannel or should I call you Jesus? - what VR headset were you using?

The frame rate really needs to be above 80 fps.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:47 pm I have just been playing pool with a 62 yr old guy from south Louisiana, that's got physical disability, was in the military....and it was brillliant.

The game is designed so well, that he was in a recliner chair - I was stood up in my lounge, the dog pissed me off once, but that's ok because he is awesome.
That sounds awesome! My best pool buddy is a 50 yr. old disabled vet on my phone. The other night we were talking and laughing so much we were missing our shots! The VR thing is so intense for my brain. :lol: I get kinda dizzy too. I've only tried it a handful of times. Being in the water with sharks (scary)... strolling down streets in another country (a bit disorienting)... circling around the moon in a small personal space capsule (cool but lonely)... and moving at high speed in a weird video game of simple shapes with no clue of what was ahead (anxiety producing). Maybe this life is enough intensity for me.

Your pool game sounds like great fun though!
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:57 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:24 pm I honestly wish I liked it. I get dizzy in that shit, start feeling seasick. I'm sure there are, or will be, some absolutely amazing games that I would love if it didn't make me feel like poo.
I've rarely had any issue. For a long time I wondered what the actual issue was, since it (the reality) is fed back to my sense of sight so perfectly.

Well, there is the rub. When a game glitched on me...and the frame rate dropped...ooooh yeah, then I understood what people were complaining about.

You can call me FJ or flannel if you want something short. I don't remember what vr set it was, it was back in 2018, within the first year or two of their current popularity.

I don't think my issue was frame rate, I think some people are more vulnerable to it. All my other friends were using the same headset for hours without issue. It's possible my problem would disappear with a higher frame rate though.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:29 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:57 pm

You can call me FJ or flannel if you want something short. I don't remember what vr set it was, it was back in 2018, within the first year or two of their current popularity.

I don't think my issue was frame rate, I think some people are more vulnerable to it. All my other friends were using the same headset for hours without issue. It's possible my problem would disappear with a higher frame rate though.
Yes, I have a couple of friends that have similar experience. It's interesting though, since as you say more FPS maybe would solve the issue..and how that might correlate to your (and my friends) brain wave patters - maybe your brains are running at a different frequency to others!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:24 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:47 pm I have just been playing pool with a 62 yr old guy from south Louisiana, that's got physical disability, was in the military....and it was brillliant.

That sounds awesome! My best pool buddy is a 50 yr. old disabled vet on my phone. The other night we were talking and laughing so much we were missing our shots! The VR thing is so intense for my brain. :lol: I get kinda dizzy too. I've only tried it a handful of times. Being in the water with sharks (scary)... strolling down streets in another country (a bit disorienting)... circling around the moon in a small personal space capsule (cool but lonely)... and moving at high speed in a weird video game of simple shapes with no clue of what was ahead (anxiety producing). Maybe this life is enough intensity for me.

Your pool game sounds like great fun though!
Yes, to be honest thus far on the basic (non tethered to PC VR headset) it's the game I enjoy the most, it's simple -pool- and you can chat to whoever you are playing with so socially great too.

You said you play with a 50yr old on your phone? How does that work!?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:41 pm maybe your brains are running at a different frequency to others!
It's funny you say that, because there's one other frame rate sensitivity I have that most of my friends do not: I'm sensitive to the soap opera effect on modern TVs. So... what you say is genuinely possible. Not a certainty, but possible
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

when fully immersed in vr, does one become something beside what they believe they are?

-Imp
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:45 pm You said you play with a 50yr old on your phone? How does that work!?
8 Ball Pool by Mini Clip

Great fun! You can send brief texts during a game with people who are in your friends list.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:29 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:45 pm You said you play with a 50yr old on your phone? How does that work!?
8 Ball Pool by Mini Clip

Great fun! You can send brief texts during a game with people who are in your friends list.
Cool, I just watched a vid of that game, it's similar to a pool game a bunch of us were playing on our work PCs when it was really quiet around Christmas years ago.

I was thinking of the guy from Louisiana I played last night...he sounded like Barry White!!

So at some point I had to know if I was playing a big brown fella - turned out he was Portugese descent. I reckon he must have some African genes in him, no way anyone could sound like Barry White without that DNA!

I've found watching the various nations during the World Cup fascinating by way of attempting to ascertain the 'general' ethnicity derived from > 100yrs of years of human migration. For example, I notice the Brazillian players (Portugese mix) tended to have more African mix in them. Whereas the Argentinians look very white, but clearly latino - but don't appear to have much by way of mixing with the Africans from way back - which would likely have been from slaves unfortunately.
The Moroccons were interesting also, close to Portugal\Spain and not as Arabic - I think the Moors were big in that area years ago with Islam side of things. I hope they do well in the World Cup.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:47 pm when fully immersed in vr, does one become something beside what they believe they are?

-Imp
Well, it can be really weird when you look at your arms and you are a robot - metal. There was a game I jumped into years ago, and I didn't have arms, just plasma 'cannon' guns - bloody awesome.