Killing living beings for food is a sin

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Killing living beings for food is a sin

Post by Sculptor »

dattaswami wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:05 am
Sculptor wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:25 pm Agriculture has been a disaster for the earth and the humans that have to eat the products of it.

Agriculture has caused wholesale destruction of habitats, desertification, and drops in species diversity.
The Middle east, the so called cradle of civilization was once a verdant paradise before the plough which initially created the hanging gardens of Babylon but soon tuned to desert.
SImilar problems are see all over the Indus valley and the cancer of wheat and lentil growing has devastated the nature. And for what ??? More and more people whose lives are short and often brutal.

Faced with unbridled need, more land goes under the plough creating millions of square miles of monoculture of soy or wheat.
Foods which humans are not well adapted to consume and this has led to chronic preventable disease; Type2 Diabetes, atherosclerosis, heart disease, and Alzheimers disease, all caused by too much carbohydrate, and not enough real human diet that we are adapted to eat.

The real human diet is fish, eggs, meat, and low carb high fibre vegetation.
You should not worry about the universal application because, showing this as an excuse, we want to continue with non-vegetarian food. If all the souls on the earth become vegetarians, I guarantee that God will provide vegetarian food sufficiently for all the souls.
And there you have it.

A guarantee from GOD, brought to you by Data Swamp.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:26 am I eat meat like lots of other animals do. My body craves it... not every day, but once in awhile. When I go too long without it, I feel depleted. I trust my instincts, and I choose humanely-raised/natural/organic as much as possible.

It would be ridiculous to call that a 'sin'.
Meat is nutrient dense and provides bioavailable micronutrients in forms that plants do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schNUiAN1I4
Ben JS

Post by Ben JS »

Is it better to live and die as a resource for others, or never live at all?

There's a saying that the greatest evolutionary advantage an animal / plant can have, is to be useful to humans.
Many animals only exist because humans are supporting them in the aim of utility.

I can agree that factory farming is awful, and that type existence very well may is better not to be -
but if an animal has a quality of life before death, then perhaps our needs enable their opportunity.
Would they exist if not for the intent to be consumed?

Once artificial meat surpasses the affordability of natural meat,
the fate of many species beyond our own look very bleak.

There is the wider discussion of our impact on the ecosystem,
and the ethical questions as to what our moral obligation to preserve it is,
but in the short term, it would seem the only reason many animals flourish,
is due to our species consumption of meat.

So, it's not quite black & white. There are silver linings, perhaps even, enough to outweigh the initial dark cloud.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

i eat sardines all the time i fuckin love em. hotsauce, Mediterranean, mustard sauce, whatever. the amount of nutrition in those seven little fish is so outrageous you'd have never thunk it. like if there wuz only one thing that u could eat for the rest of your life, it'd have to be sardines, not peanut butter. i put em on crackers.

Sardines eat plankton so mercury levels aren't a problem. Fun fact.

i am also a connoisseur of the chicharrones, and will spare no expense to have only the best quality... sometimes paying up to seven dollars a bag.

of the snack foods, the pork skin is prolly the best, certainty if u want a low carb snack. packed with protein of course but also loaded with collagen. didjall know that? really the only con for the pork rind is the cholesterol and salt, but if you're active that won't be a problem.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Caeur de filet provencale with a nice amarone wine, yummy!
Of course, if the cow was a happy cow, thats for the better.
dattaswami

Post by dattaswami »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:05 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:26 am I eat meat like lots of other animals do. My body craves it... not every day, but once in awhile. When I go too long without it, I feel depleted. I trust my instincts, and I choose humanely-raised/natural/organic as much as possible.

Meat is nutrient dense and provides bioavailable micronutrients in forms that plants do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MEp3lW_iHA
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

dattaswami wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:31 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MEp3lW_iHA
And now for something which is relvant..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YG81VK6co8
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Ansiktsburk wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:23 pm Caeur de filet provencale with a nice amarone wine, yummy!
Of course, if the cow was a happy cow, thats for the better.
Could not agree more.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Killing living beings for food is a sin
Surely you're not suggesting we eat the poor fuckers alive. :shock:
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

There's no such thing as sin.

Killing is not inherently harmful or wrong.

It is better not to kill any creature that isn't harming other things, but there is no harm in death per-se, and no inherent harm in dying.

'Living beings' is an arbitrary. distinction for morality. Algae are living beings but it would be ridiculous to believe they're harmed in an ethical sense, Ethics (formalized morality) is a human invention and only encompasses beings within range of human capacities for pain and cognition. Creatures with a much higher or lower threshold of sensation and cognition require a different calculus.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:49 pm Algae are living beings but it would be ridiculous to believe they're harmed in an ethical sense,
As a baleen whale I am relieved that part of my diet is not ethically abhorrant. But some of the homo sapiens here may not feel like you took a relevant stand on their diets.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:16 pm
dattaswami wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:37 am SCRIPTURAL WAY OF CORRECTING DEFECTIVE NATURE

[Dr. Nikhil asked Swami that several participants in a spiritual meeting quoted the Veda and other scriptures, which speak in favor of non-vegetarian food. They asked him about Swami speaking against non-vegetarian food. Swami gave the following message in reply.]

I am always amazed that humans love to impose their own personal moral codes upon nature to show how wrong god is to design nature the way god intended.
Meat eating.
Protective toxicity in plants.
Gender fluidity including dysphoria and homosexuality.

mac.JPGchic.JPG
I strongly agree with this statement.
nothing in this world reminds me of humanity at its finest ( closest to what we can naturally achieve in this day and age ) besides Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson and very few others.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Mors summum bonum.

Sic vita est

Pamta rhei

Bonam fortunam!
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

NATURE, LIFE LIVES UPON LIFE.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:10 am
Sculptor wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:16 pm
dattaswami wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:37 am SCRIPTURAL WAY OF CORRECTING DEFECTIVE NATURE

[Dr. Nikhil asked Swami that several participants in a spiritual meeting quoted the Veda and other scriptures, which speak in favor of non-vegetarian food. They asked him about Swami speaking against non-vegetarian food. Swami gave the following message in reply.]

I am always amazed that humans love to impose their own personal moral codes upon nature to show how wrong god is to design nature the way god intended.
Meat eating.
Protective toxicity in plants.
Gender fluidity including dysphoria and homosexuality.

mac.JPGchic.JPG
I strongly agree with this statement.
What "statement"? :D
nothing in this world reminds me of humanity at its finest ( closest to what we can naturally achieve in this day and age ) besides Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson and very few others.
JP and JR are your perfect example of humanity
:D :D :D
From a person who disagrees with a "statement" from a passage containing no statements except a personal reflection. You cannot disagree with statements not asserted to be objective.
I wonder if you realise that JP is a meat eater?