What does blue look like to a person who is colorblind

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Maia

Re: What does blue look like to a person who is colorblind

Post by Maia »

Skepdick wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:37 am
Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:33 am The purpose of any screenreader is to convert written text to synthesised speech. If people used Braille fonts to write text, there would be a call for it. And perhaps there even is such a thing, though its use would be extremely limited.
Right, but specifically the way computers work written text isn't encoded as images in the computer's own memory. They are encoded in binary.

The letter "a" is actually encoded as 1000001 (in binary) which is 65 (in decimal).

In the ASCII table 65 is the code for the English letter "a".
In the Braille table embrossing in row 1, column 1 is the code for the English letter "a".

So there's definitely a 1:1 mapping between the alphabets/symbols.
I can assure you there is not a one-to-one mapping between Braille and English text, as I explained above. As for fonts, screenreaders vary. Mine recognises Greek, for example, but not (unfortunately) runes.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:40 am I can assure you there is not a one-to-one mapping between Braille and English text, as I explained above. As for fonts, screenreaders vary. Mine recognises Greek, for example, but not (unfortunately) runes.
I guess, the thing I am trying to point out is that if JAWS doesn't distinguish between the English spelling "text" and the Cyrillic spelling of "техт" (they look similar but they are both visually different AND they are encoded differently in the computer's memory) then JAWS itself is not Unicode aware.

e.g it's omitting some of the information that exists in the text when converting it to speech.

And I also recognize that there's no way for you to verify that except to trust me that it's true.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Skepdick wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:46 am
Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:40 am I can assure you there is not a one-to-one mapping between Braille and English text, as I explained above. As for fonts, screenreaders vary. Mine recognises Greek, for example, but not (unfortunately) runes.
I guess, the thing I am trying to point out is that if JAWS doesn't distinguish between the English letter "t" and the Cyrillic letter "т" (they look similar but they are both visually different AND they are encoded differently in the computer's memory) then JAWS itself is not Unicode aware.

e.g it's omitting some of the information that exists in the text when converting it to speech.

And I also recognize that there's no way for you to verify that except to trust me that it's true.
A screenreader takes a string of letters and pronounces it as a single word. This is true even if the letters don't spell any known English word.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:50 am A screenreader takes a string of letters and pronounces it as a single word. This is true even if the letters don't spell any known English word.
So how is your screenreader pronouncing the string of letters. on the next line...

Техт
Maia

Post by Maia »

Skepdick wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:52 am
Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:50 am A screenreader takes a string of letters and pronounces it as a single word. This is true even if the letters don't spell any known English word.
So how is your screenreader pronouncing the string of letters. on the next line...

Техт
"ted"
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

I think the point I am trying to make is that a string of Cyrillic letters can be made to appear like an English word, even though the fonts have some visual differences. The English letter "t" is not quote the same as the Cyrillic letter "т".

JAWS is cheating you of the full experience of the symbols on your screen in much the same my eyes are cheating me of the full experience of the electromagnetic spectrum.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Maia is indeed blind... with hair redder than the surface of the sun.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:54 am "ted"
Right.

What I wrote is visually indiscernable from the English word text. It's spelled using Cyrillic fonts, but any English speaker would read it as "text".
Maia

Post by Maia »

Skepdick wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:56 am
I think the point I am trying to make is that a string of Cyrillic letters can be made to appear like an English word, even though the fonts have some visual differences. The English letter "t" is not quote the same as the Cyrillic letter "т".

JAWS is cheating you of the full experience of the symbols on your screen in much the same my eyes are cheating me of the full experience of the electromagnetic spectrum.
Yes, I'm sure it is.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Skepdick wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:58 am
Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:54 am "ted"
Right.

What I wrote is visually indiscernable from the English word text. It's spelled using Cyrillic fonts, but any English speaker would read it as "text".
Well, it's not perfect.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:58 am Yes, I'm sure it is.
Well, the least we can do then is that we can both despair together :)

You can't know what infrared looks like.
I can't know what infrared looks like.

But we both know it feel warm.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:59 am Well, it's not perfect.
God, I hope not!

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Skepdick wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:01 am
Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:58 am Yes, I'm sure it is.
Well, the least we can do then is that we can both despair together :)

You can't know what infrared looks like.
I can't know what infrared looks like.

But we both know it feel warm.
I never despair. I find the whole thing far too interesting.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Maia wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:03 am I never despair. I find the whole thing far too interesting.
That it is, but to your original challenge. As a blind person there is actually a really easy way to convince you that colors exist for other people.

Sadly that doesn't mean I can make you experience colors, it just means I can cure you of undue skepticism.

There's the concept known as a zero-knowledge proof in cryptography (see this wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-knowledge_proof )

There are a number of experiments/challenges you can pose if you interact with a willing participant who isn't visually impaired.

For example: you can have a keyboard with 8 buttons wired to a multi-coloured LED. You push the buttons behind your back knowing that the light comes on.

The person should have no idea which button you've pushed, but if you run the experiment long enough they'll use the exact same name for the same button you are pushing.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

I delineate sense-perception by Distance.

Sight is furthest. Sound is next. Then Smell. Then Touch. Then Taste, which is most personal (internalized) of all.

Sight and Sound are comparable by how a person can discern and judge actions taking place from a long distance away.

People see an explosion, or an airplane, before we hear it. This is an analogy between sight and sound.

Music is just as "colorful" as Colors. Thus the diversity of sound in music is comparable to the diversity of color in pictures.