Should I have a fourth jab?

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Should I have a fourth jab?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:11 am
reasonvemotion wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:06 am Maia wrote:
How many flu jabs are there?
I dunno. You tell me ( I am fairly certain you already know).
One a year, for the elderly. Those drug companies a certainly raking it in, right?
Funny that. No one ever suggests that everyone should have to have the flu jab, to 'protect' the elderly. I wonder why that is :?
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:13 am
Sculptor wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:09 am
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:19 am

Catching Covid is a health issue.
It's a shame that we have to continually spell it out for veggy tax. You would have thought that a person who seems to be able to read might at least try to engage in the discussion.
They seem to think that is should be all or nothing. If it's not 100% effective (what is?) it must be 0% effective.
Tell that to all the people who have small pox...
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:19 am

Catching Covid is a health issue.
It's a shame that we have to continually spell it out for veggy tax. You would have thought that a person who seems to be able to read might at least try to engage in the discussion.
They seem to think that is should be all or nothing. If it's not 100% effective (what is?) it must be 0% effective.
Indeed, and they seem to be responding from a blinkered ideological place of belief rather than allow in items of evidence.
vegetariantaxidermy

Vaccines normally takes years to develop and test. I wonder how they managed to do it so quickly this time.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Fact: Because there is an urgent need for COVID-19 vaccines and the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA's) vaccine approval process can take years, the FDA first gave emergency use authorization to COVID-19 vaccines based on less data than is typically required. The data must show that the vaccines are safe and effective before the FDA can give emergency use authorization or approval.

Seems a bit self-contradictory...
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:50 am Vaccines normally takes years to develop and test. I wonder how they managed to do it so quickly this time.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Fact: Because there is an urgent need for COVID-19 vaccines and the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA's) vaccine approval process can take years, the FDA first gave emergency use authorization to COVID-19 vaccines based on less data than is typically required. The data must show that the vaccines are safe and effective before the FDA can give emergency use authorization or approval.

If Covid was a gain-of-function research project, then they would have had to develop an antidote to correspond with its research.

Hmmmm, makes you think, doesn't it...?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Sculptor wrote:
Indeed, and they seem to be responding from a blinkered ideological place of belief rather than allow in items of evidence.
What evidence?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:48 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:37 am
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:12 am On the contrary, I'm very conscious of my health, and I always form my own judgements.
Then form your opinion about the fourth jab, and make your choice. What's the problem?
Doesn't hurt to discuss it.
And yet, there's little point if your own mind is set. What's to discuss?

However, it seems you have some misgivings about the jab. Why else would you be discussing it? Maybe you want to think about why you do. Sometimes you know something on a visceral level before you figure out exactly what you're intuiting. Maybe you want to listen to that...

But it's up to you, of course.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:37 am Are you now arguing that vaccines have not immunized the modern world from Polio, and that the 99% efficacy of polio vaccines means that 1% don't work, and Polio is still a problem???

Do you not understand how illogical that is?
It's the anti-vaxxers who are arguing that a vaccine has to be 100% effective to be a proper vaccine.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:41 am
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:11 am
reasonvemotion wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:06 am Maia wrote:

I dunno. You tell me ( I am fairly certain you already know).
One a year, for the elderly. Those drug companies a certainly raking it in, right?
Funny that. No one ever suggests that everyone should have to have the flu jab, to 'protect' the elderly. I wonder why that is :?
Perhaps because flu is a different disease to covid? Just a thought, anyway.
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:43 am

Why?
Maia

Post by Maia »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:47 am

Well, they've certainly convinced me (that they're wrong).
Maia

Post by Maia »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:50 am Vaccines normally takes years to develop and test. I wonder how they managed to do it so quickly this time.

From the Mayo Clinic:

They fast-tracked them
Maia

Post by Maia »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:48 pm
Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:48 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:37 am
Then form your opinion about the fourth jab, and make your choice. What's the problem?
Doesn't hurt to discuss it.
And yet, there's little point if your own mind is set. What's to discuss?

However, it seems you have some misgivings about the jab. Why else would you be discussing it? Maybe you want to think about why you do. Sometimes you know something on a visceral level before you figure out exactly what you're intuiting. Maybe you want to listen to that...

But it's up to you, of course.
Yes, it's up to me.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:49 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:47 am

Well, they've certainly convinced me (that they're wrong).
:D :D
vegetariantaxidermy

Maia wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:48 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:43 am

Why?
Because according to you 'no vaccine is 100%'? A bit thick aren't you?