Where is the philosophy???

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Where is the philosophy???

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 am
friendofyours wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:18 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:41 pm
Did you actually attempt any real discussion about philosophy?
Okay, I'm going out on a limb here and possibly opening myself up to merciless ridicule, but I will be brave and forge head regardless.

Here is my philosophical thought for people to ponder:

Is there a possibility— or would it be impossible— that every human (since I’m not sure exactly when, but I would guess around the emergence of genus Homo, which have similar brain size) has had the exact same thoughts, given the opportunity to do so? What I mean by this is that, for example, if someone was born in a place that did not have access to modern knowledge, then they may not be able to have certain thoughts, since they do not have access to that knowledge. However, if they did have access to that knowledge, would they have the exact same thoughts as all those who also have access to that knowledge?

Also, to be clear, I do not mean that they would necessarily accept their thoughts as being true or accurate. They may well accept or reject their thoughts, depending on their circumstances and backgrounds, but that is not to say that they didn’t have the exact same thoughts as every other human being.

A basic example would be that every human, with approximately the same brain size as present humans, would have had the thought that the earth could be round. However, for whatever reasons, some humans chose to believe that it was flat.

This thought occurs to me every time I post a philosophical comment because I think to myself, “Why bother to post this thought since the same thought must have been thought so many times before?”

What are your thoughts?
My first thought is that there is no reason you shouldn't post that question in one of the livelier sub forums such General, or Phil of mind.

Some other thoughts are that I have seen some similar sounding things raised among philosophers and historians about certain ideas whose time just arrives, and which we associate with the first person to write them down. An example being Darwin who was by no means the first person to think up evolution, but I am told he did happen to be one of the two people who thought about it at exactly the right time for it to make sense in conjunction with all the other comparatively new ideas people were having in that era.

If that approach to your question puts a breeze up your skirt as it were, then a fine example of the craft is in progress, as Willy B (an actual expert in subject of philosophy of science) and Immanuel Can (a grunting halfwit with delusions of grandeur) are currently debating whether Francis Bacon single-handfedly invented the scientific method, so presumably the stuff in that last paragraph is due a mention there relatively soon.

In broader terms though, whoever invented picking up a burning stick and using it to set fire to some new thing to make a hut warm and a steak tasty must be one of the cleverest bastards ever, so I find it unlikely that any modern knowledge would be beyond them should we manage to locate their DNA in some old bone and send a clone of them to a modern school. Whoever invented knitting in 40,000 BC was quite a clever bastard too.
No human being is so-called 'cleverer' than another is, (since when human beings evolved into existence to when they either will evolve into and up to the next level and stage along the evolutionary continuum of Creation, Itself, or, they just cause and create the extinction of themselves), all adult human beings, individually, are just more open or more closed than others are.

Although some believe that they are more clever than others.

But, obviously when one is just more open, then they are able to learn, understand, and/or reason more things. Which leads to that when, and if, one is Truly OPEN, then that one is able to learn, understand, and/or reason all possible things.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 am So on the one hand I should suggest there is no reason to let anyone put you off saying your thing.
I agree absolutely, and totally.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 am It's impossible to be the best philosopher here because at least 7 of these window lickers are the single greatest mind ever to live.
And, especially when one defines the word 'philosopher' like "flashdangerpants" does here.

Which, by the way, "flashdangerpants" is one of the ones here who believes that it is not just the best "philsopher" here but is also the best at other things as well here.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 am Likewise, you cannot really compete with those same 7 for the actual worst. So you will just have to occupy some middle ground with the sane people, it will be fine, you'll just have to decide for yourself which bullshit to tune out*.

*LPT never look in the Gender sub, it's nothing but incels.
puto

Post by puto »

With a lot of research and reflection on the term philosophy, I have learned. Thank-You.
FlashDangerpants

Re: Annoying Excess Question Marks?

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Age wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:42 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 am It's impossible to be the best philosopher here because at least 7 of these window lickers are the single greatest mind ever to live.
And, especially when one defines the word 'philosopher' like "flashdangerpants" does here.

Which, by the way, "flashdangerpants" is one of the ones here who believes that it is not just the best "philsopher" here but is also the best at other things as well here.
I can get out of a chair without groaning. That probably puts me in the top 10% for athleticism at this site. Is that what you mean with the dark insinuation of "also the best at other things as well here"?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sure, but confusing a slime job for philosophy is a dubious trophy.

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:40 pm

I can get out of a chair without groaning. That probably puts me in the top 10% for athleticism at this site. Is that what you mean with the dark insinuation of "also the best at other things as well here"?
It mostly certainly could.
FlashDangerpants

Age wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:59 am

Exciting. And what else did you mean with that little accusation? <--- that's a clarifying question, so answer it.
puto

Post by puto »

Ad baculum is what this board uses to give opinions. The Cynics would be embarrassed by your use of opinions. Your use of ad baculum is embarrassing, even to the Cynics. You may even be circumstantial in your attempts at an argument. Views against are against arguments that may have merit. You may have views against, but if you are an opinion, respect their opinion.
"Believe in why you believe in what." Could that be one definition of philosophy? Research and reflection is that another definition of philosophy? Philosophy uses logic as a method is that another? Philosophy is an enquiry? Philosophy became enlightened with Descartes' the father of modern philosophy. First, was Descartes' a radical sceptic? The edict, "Cogito ergo sum" is an insight. Using, the method of doubt what was that infallible?

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:34 am
Age wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:59 am
Exciting. And what else did you mean with that little accusation? <--- that's a clarifying question, so answer it.
Nothing else.

Answered.
FlashDangerpants

Age wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:42 am Which, by the way, "flashdangerpants" is one of the ones here who believes that it is not just the best "philsopher" here but is also the best at other things as well here.
Please explain what you mean by the above. Don't fob me off.

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:03 pm
Age wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:42 am Which, by the way, "flashdangerpants" is one of the ones here who believes that it is not just the best "philsopher" here but is also the best at other things as well here.
Please explain what you mean by the above.
Do you believe that you are the best "philosopher" here?

Do you believe that you are the best at other things here?
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:03 pm Don't fob me off.
This could be considered very hypocritical, especially if the one who said this was not answering all of the questions asked to it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Please explain what you mean by the above. Don't fob me off.
Just put Age on ignore.
On a page asking where is the philosophy he just turns the thread into a childish bickering match.
As you will observe, despite you asking him not to fob you off he does exactly that with more stupid questions.
It's such a shame what is happening to the Forum. It tends to go in cycles, but is in a low point ATM. Eventually those that are not interested in philosophy tend to drift away if you stop feeding them.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Here's how I think of Age:
age.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
That stage in life where he sits on the porch baking at every thing that passes by..

Here's how I think of Walker.
walker.jpg
walker.jpg (7.36 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
The only thing missing is the MAGA hat.

They are like energy vampires for philosophy: sucking the life out of any discussion.
FlashDangerpants

Age wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:30 pm
Please explain what you mean by the above.
Do you believe that you are the best "philosopher" here?
No. In fact I thought I was making it quite clear that the people who even think that way are all a bit mad.

I am however one of the competent persons in this field, and you are one of the incompetent ones, so I am better at it than you.
Age wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:30 pm Do you believe that you are the best at other things here?
Such as what?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

puto wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:27 am Ad baculum is what this board uses to give opinions. The Cynics would be embarrassed by your use of opinions. Your use of ad baculum is embarrassing, even to the Cynics. You may even be circumstantial in your attempts at an argument. Views against are against arguments that may have merit. You may have views against, but if you are an opinion, respect their opinion.
"Believe in why you believe in what." Could that be one definition of philosophy? Research and reflection is that another definition of philosophy? Philosophy uses logic as a method is that another? Philosophy is an enquiry? Philosophy became enlightened with Descartes' the father of modern philosophy. First, was Descartes' a radical sceptic? The edict, "Cogito ergo sum" is an insight. Using, the method of doubt what was that infallible?
I think you give too much credit to Age and Walker.
Even ad baculum can contain some remnants of argument, even if only argumentum ad consequentiam, but even that seems absent in the childish tit for tat.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Wait...
WALKER
WALKER
walker.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
Much better