What is the love?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: What is the love?

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:21 am You are veering off topic from the OP which focus on 'love':

Fine.

Put it your way then.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Love is any thing that make you feel good about being alive. IMO

Nature programmed the human body to experience happy hormones to ensure a mutual bonding process would be followed by potential offspring. IMO

It's always got to be about what feels good. IMO

If sexual lust, sexual attraction, sexual gratification as and through the experience of orgasm, felt like having 50 sharp knifes poking you hard and fast repeatedly all at once, we'd all go extinct as a human species. There, that's my personal answer, one that came from me, and no one else, as to what is the love.IMO

Most people enjoy a daily dose of the love drug. A good dose of feel good chemistry between ourselves and others of all sexes, but particularly with our intimate partner if we have one. IMO

From the internet....''What makes us feel sensations of happiness, closeness, and joy? Brain chemicals! There are four primary chemicals that can drive the positive emotions you feel throughout the day: dopamine, oxytocin, serotonin, and endorphins (sometimes referred to as D.O.S.E.)''

Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:26 am Love is any thing that make you feel good about being alive. IMO
That may be well and good, fine and dandy, for you.

What about the other person in the relationship?

What makes you feel good and love yourself
could make the one you love
feel like unloved
feel like unloving.

Because love is dualistic, you cannot ignore the effects of your love, particularly if you're a sadist without a masochoist.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:26 am Love is any thing that make you feel good about being alive. IMO
Walker wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:26 pmThat may be well and good, fine and dandy, for you.

What about the other person in the relationship?
But what I said, was said as one who is centred in their own being, I was speaking for me, I alone, the singular first person pronoun. I wasn't talking about being in a relationship with another, I was simply describing what is the love feeling like for me personally.

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:26 pmWhat makes you feel good and love yourself
could make the one you love
feel like unloved
feel like unloving.

Because love is dualistic, you cannot ignore the effects of your love, particularly if you're a sadist without a masochoist.
Love is both conditional dualistic, and absolute unconditional nondualistic.
Well I wouldn't ever dream of being a sadist or a masochist. Some people might, but not me, I would certainly not feel good if I was hurting someone else I was in an intimate one to one, skin to skin, naked and raw open relationship with.

Real true love is totally and absolutely unconditional, it's total absolute unconditional freedom, it's never dual, it's always nondual, it's all allowing, all encompassing.

It allows for everything to be, including hurting others for their own self gratification. However, in the dream of duality, no one in their right mind would tolerate a toxic relationship with another if it wasn't making them feel good. They would have the good sense not to get into a relationship with another if it was not making them feel good. But since real true love is absolutely unconditionally free to be, that includes being unloving too. And this is known to be true as seen manifested within the dream of separation that is duality, where there are very many unloving and not very nice people in the world, who are inflicting pain and misery on other people, simply because there is here a freedom to be anything, including nastiness. Can't have the good without the bad.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:53 pm
RuthScott wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:32 pm Hello there, I'm a philosophy enthusiast, and love has always piqued my interest. In your opinion, what is love, and why should we love?I look forward to hearing from you!
Love is like oxygen
You get too much you get too high
Not enough and you're gonna die
Love gets you high

William Shakespeare
What is love?
Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me.

John Milton
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:58 pm
RuthScott wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:32 pm Hello there, I'm a philosophy enthusiast, and love has always piqued my interest. In your opinion, what is love, and why should we love?I look forward to hearing from you!
Love is like oxygen
Love gets you high

William Shakespeare
What is love?

John Milton
I think "love" implies more than just not hurting someone. It also means helping someone in a way that is not "transaction" based or part of some sort of economy. I think giving freely overemphasizes love to the point where one giving freely to anyone and everyone puts an awfully big load on a person's conscience. It works fine in a small community where members know each other well, however, it begins to break down in larger communities where people are unknown to each other, and therefore some can easily over dip into the communal reservoir without others noticing. In a sense, a Christian denomination (Catholicism for example) is a "commune" or "communism" in the strictest definition of the terms.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:14 pm

Love is like oxygen
Love gets you high

William Shakespeare
What is love?

John Milton
I think "love" implies more than just not hurting someone.
Gary, Gary, Gary... :roll:

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I

It's a joke. Like Brandon says, "C'mon, man!"
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:27 pm
What is love?

John Milton

Immanuel, immanuel, immanuel, do you like me to be condescending toward you are well? Is condescension toward another man done out of "love"? Again, save it for your children, not your peers. This is where Christianity becomes "love" to the point of absurdity. Man infantilized.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Love is such a misunderstood concept.

On the human level it’s conditional. But on the absolute natural level in non human nature it’s unconditionally free and all allowing. All accepting. All encompassing without limitations or restrictions as seen in the natural world. Animals are no different to us really. It’s just that we’ve evolved to have bigger brains which has made us think we are more special and is why we don’t eat each other.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:29 pm

Immanuel, immanuel, immanuel, do you like me to be condescending toward you are well?
No, but I did hold out hope you'd understand a joke to be a joke. And now you know.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:51 pm

Immanuel, immanuel, immanuel, do you like me to be condescending toward you are well?
No, but I did hold out hope you'd understand a joke to be a joke. And now you know.
OK. Fair enough. It doesn't resonate with me as anything that seems "jokish". All I saw was "Gary, Gary, Gary... :roll: " and some link to a video. If there's a joke there it's way over my head. Are we supposed to all be familiar with the song?

I would think you'd agree with my statement that you were responding to, however, there was no such recognition of agreement or any opinion at all for that matter so I wasn't sure what to think of your response.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 pmAre we supposed to all be familiar with the song?
Yes, you are.

It’s part of a meme that was enshrined in the zeitgeist. To explain the humour, these men are following the formula of their era.

Formula: testosterone + cocaine = Master of the Universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwVh8pmOot4
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:58 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 pmAre we supposed to all be familiar with the song?
Yes, you are.

It’s part of a meme that was enshrined in the zeitgeist. To explain the humour, these men are following the formula of their era.

Formula: testosterone + cocaine = Master of the Universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwVh8pmOot4
Oh well. Count me unfortunate I guess.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 pm

OK. Fair enough. It doesn't resonate with me as anything that seems "jokish". All I saw was "Gary, Gary, Gary... :roll: " and some link to a video. If there's a joke there it's way over my head. Are we supposed to all be familiar with the song?
Gary, click the link. Listen for ten seconds. That's all it will take. You'll get it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:14 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:07 pm
Gary, click the link. Listen for ten seconds. That's all it will take. You'll get it.
I did. The song just says, "What is love, baby don't hurt me". It doesn't seem particularly funny to me. Then again very little in the world anymore makes me kick back in a hearty laugh. I'm lucky if I can laugh out of politeness to someone who thinks they are being funny. But I usually try to. I generally don't like making people feel too awkward when they crack something they think is a joke but sometimes I can't even find it in me to laugh politely. I just don't laugh at all.