ilp migration

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

ilp migration

Post by Impenitent »

I have noticed a flood of new posters to this forum coming from ilp - howdy to everyone. yes, I did moderate that site 12+ years ago. what is the reason behind the move?

-Imp
Phil8659

Re: ilp migration

Post by Phil8659 »

You know when I asked, in one of my Lucid Dreamstates, if dreams had any real and useful function, I was, as always shown not in words, but in visual metaphor.

And one part, was a sign "Express C.M." Now there I was, asking for three days, what the hell is C.M. Now I made words out of it, Common Market, Common Multiple, but I just could not figure it out, It was wholly ridiculous to ask me to Express the Common Market, I don't know a damned thing about it. So, in desperation, while working 12-7, while at work, I went and got that red dictionary out of the foreman's desk, and looked it up.
It means many things, like any set of initials do. But mine were constructed to help me learn the unity of thought over time deliberately. But, the one in the dictionary, which I thought to be just plain stupid, is Congregation of the Mission. Damned, that scared me. Did I have some pathetic need for religion? Never have had, never will have. I respected the prophets, what they were doing and why and it was certainly not about doctrines and religions. To me Congregation of the Mission was just a useless construct, or so I thought.
However, each of its meaning's are in some way underlain with the same concept. For example Express C.M. is composed of many letters. the initials, separated into one letter. The many in the one, common multiple, common market, Congregation of the Mission. same. etc. Why that is what initials do themselves, take the many and make the one. At that point in my life, I had not yet discovered Plato, studied the Bible, at that point, I was reading anything, just looking and learning how different people use words, some good, some bad, some with no point at all as they just love the sound of their own voice.
Now, can you imagine, the confusion you impose on people when you slap down initials, thoughtlessly taking it for granted that people just by some stroke of good magic know, that is stupid.
Now, it is customary, that you list both on first usage of what you write, so that everybody is on the same page as to what in the hell you mean. Or, they may wander around for days, years and never come back because, until those initials have just one meaning, your words cannot possibly have any meaning.
Now, consider this. What if all those flat earthers are right? What would happen if all those people wondering around, in search of what you mean, just wandered, and like some poor philosopher fell into a well, or just off the face of the whole earth. Give them poor souls a chance!

Like right now, my impression is that you made a typo for migration of the lip. That is nothing new, I have had wives and trust me, when they go, they don't thank you at all, they just take every thing, and more, and, wonder around while I was just hoping that they fall off the earth. Now you gave me thanks, and I know why, you wanted me to learn how to put it all together and write this little essay.
Welcome.
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Well, maybe ilp forums mean paying for what don't get, and the migration is only because people were financially broke, as being mentally broke don't bother them at all.
Something like Lost Vegans, the migration of herbivores to Nevada.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

now see your boy Gamer really had a great idea over at ILP but you knuckleheads wouldn't know a good thing if you saw it and you run em off.

if one takes an account, one would be surprised to find the number of different kinds of formal and informal fallacies embedded in any given text. And Murphy's rule certainly stands here; the more complex an argument/discussion/diatribe gets, the more can go wrong with it. Fallacies spring up everywhere and most are imperceptible. That's why the idea of a soft AI that could analyze and recogize fallacies in human speech/text, and at least bring it to our attention, could revolutionize human communication and problem solving.

you'd have an interactive smart watch or phone that would listen to your conversations or analyze your text, find and then inform you of your mistakes, contradictions, fallacies, etc.

it would also act as a third party conversationalist in real time; monitor and participate in any discussions you are having with others. this is an optional feature, obviously.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Bloody immigrants coming over here with the silly ideas!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

here's what becomes a problem. the AI isn't capable of a deep analysis which would allow it to give an 'opinion' about a matter, express a value judgement, or do anything with a statement but look for it's logical problems.

like if you aksed alexa if the jan 6th capitol incident was 'good', she'd not be able to answer that except in a trivial way; 'the capitol incident was violent and resulted in some deaths, etc.'

as such, most moral questions... or I should say the guidance this soft AI would give us in examining our statements, is limited to none. in fact, it's the hard contrary... which is where this kind of tech might be dangerous.

cold logical analysis of things Iike moral and religious propositions would end up at the AI declaring such statements to be unintelligible to it.

next thing you know, kids are growing up being tutored by their smart watches all their lives to think like Spock. 

I dunno maybe this is the next major step toward human integration with AI. cybernetics. interactive GPTs.

your actions are illogical, captain.

What is this thing you call 'love'? Is it an emotion?

Etc.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Can somebody fill me on the returns policy for this ilp place?
We seem to have recieved an annoying Kropotkin that nobody asked for.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Keter Propotkin is a shameless philosophical socialite and provocateur who once asked me thirty two questions about justice, truth, values, love, self awareness and purpose a single post.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

As you all know, I avoid posting at ILP for reasons involving political intrigue that is fraught with ideological conflict and disagreement. As I do therefore refrain from posting at ILP, I have no means of contacting a former contemporary, phoneutria, unless I make an IG or YouTube account to view her social media content directly.

Formerly I would use a proxy site to see her newly uploaded material and wouldn't have to use an IG account. Well, the proxy site hasn't featured any new IG material in over a week.

So if ILP members Biggs, MagsJ or Magnus happen by this post, can you tell me have you seen her?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

I think migrations can happen for many reasons, but a common one is poster who has a theory or like to get up on a soapbox. So, they present their theory or universal complaint. After a while people notice that there isn't much real dialogue in their threads. Pontification is the hour of the day. Or a kind of solipsistic denial of any point's value. So, people get tired of them. So, there isn't enough food for them in that thread. The term 'trolling' is meant as purely pejorative in online contexts, but, hey it's a perfectly valid way to fish. It's fishing. For attention. For food. Narcissists need people to give them attention. Some narcissists feed on conflict. I am not saying that all migrants are trolls in either the neutral or pejorative senses, but once some migrants have overfished a forum or most people there recognize their lures, they need to move on, or they have no fish to bring home to their families. Well, most probably don't have families at home.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:07 pm here's what becomes a problem. the AI isn't capable of a deep analysis which would allow it to give an 'opinion' about a matter, express a value judgement, or do anything with a statement but look for it's logical problems.

like if you aksed alexa if the jan 6th capitol incident was 'good', she'd not be able to answer that except in a trivial way; 'the capitol incident was violent and resulted in some deaths, etc.'

as such, most moral questions... or I should say the guidance this soft AI would give us in examining our statements, is limited to none. in fact, it's the hard contrary... which is where this kind of tech might be dangerous.

cold logical analysis of things Iike moral and religious propositions would end up at the AI declaring such statements to be unintelligible to it.

next thing you know, kids are growing up being tutored by their smart watches all their lives to think like Spock. 

I dunno maybe this is the next major step toward human integration with AI. cybernetics. interactive GPTs.

your actions are illogical, captain.

What is this thing you call 'love'? Is it an emotion?

Etc.
Well said, couldn't have worded this better myself.

What you've said, to me anyway is what I believe to be how the wholeworld as we know it...is working right now.

I'm completely resonating with your little short essay, so thanks.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:56 am ........blah
There is no such condition as an overfished ocean of consciousness.

Not until the last knower is standing will the fish bait and fish biting the bait.. be over.

One does not need to cast their net into new oceans...one ocean is enough, always enough.

The truth is known without ever stepping outside the frontdoor, in the false assumption it is somewhere else to be found. The truth will always be right here where you are standing completely still and motionless. Right here, right now in the exact same spot you are. No effort is required, nowhere to go, or search, there is nowhere else but here, right here, right now.

Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:18 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:56 am ........blah
There is no such condition as an overfished ocean of consciousness.

Not until the last knower is standing will the fish bait and fish biting the bait.. be over.

One does not need to cast their net into new oceans...one ocean is enough, always enough.

The truth is known without ever stepping outside the frontdoor, in the false assumption it is somewhere else to be found. The truth will always be right here where you are standing completely still and motionless. Right here, right now in the exact same spot you are. No effort is required, nowhere to go, or search, there is nowhere else but here, right here, right now.
This has nothing to do with what I was talking about. They aren't getting what they want. Of course, they could find things there. But they aren't getting what they want, so they move on.

If you think they should notice the ocean of consciousness, you can take that up with them. If you think they misjudged the situation, you can take that up with them.

But I am glad for you that you find your ocean enough and are satisfied. Good for you. That might aid the conversation with them.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:21 am This has nothing to do with what I was talking about. They aren't getting what they want. Of course, they could find things there. But they aren't getting what they want, so they move on.

If you think they should notice the ocean of consciousness, you can take that up with them. If you think they misjudged the situation, you can take that up with them.

But I am glad for you that you find your ocean enough and are satisfied. Good for you. That might aid the conversation with them.
This has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Bloody immigrants, comin' over 'ere!
With their philosophical ideas!
We need to ensure that the brightest and best ILP philosophers stay in ILP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgeXd5kRDg