Philosophy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Philosophy

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:48 pm
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:04 pm NO, I was meaning absolutely NOTHING like 'that'.
I wonder what you did mean, then.
Okay.

I thought, but really KNEW, you would.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmDo you REALLY BELIEVE that you can speak FOR absolutely EVERY so-called "scientist" and "empiricist" here?
I speak for some; I didn't say "EVERY". That's your own interpretation.

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmHow have these just OTHER human beings' lives supposedly had MORE 'meaning' than ANY other human being?
Yes, more or less 'meaningful' lives are judged by successes and victories, and not failures. History looks down upon failure.

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmWhat does the 'meaning of life' even mean, to you?
Scientifically and Objectively, the Meaning of Life can be measured by the 'Value' of a Life. People place subjective values onto Life. One person's life is worth more or less than another. For example, a very old man's life is (publicly agreed upon) worth less than an infant or child's life. Most people claim this. Or, if you want money values, then look into Health insurance and Life insurance policies. Economically, it is obvious and visible that some lives are worth "more" or less than others. Here, a Liberal will step-in and claim "All Life has Equal Value", but this is simply not practiced in reality. At the very least, a person subjectively places his/her own life as much more valuable than those of strangers. In some circumstances, a person may sacrifice his/her own life for immediate family, or for strangers in emergency circumstances, but this is Rare and less Common. Thus self-sacrifice needs to be investigated.

Having said all this, I personally value Wisdom, Insight, Trust, and Philosophy. I find these things meaningful and valuable, for myself, but understand that most people may not feel the same way, and tend not. Hubris, for example, most people act as though Ignorance and Bravado, fakery and sophistry, are more valuable than Philosophy. So in that, I disagree with most.

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pm
Wizard22 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:23 am People can be, and often are, misled into Falsities and Lies, and pursue goals that they first thought were very meaningful and important to them, only to later realize that they were duped.
Does this include 'you'?

If yes, then could this be happening and occuring right now, to 'you'?
I have been lied to for most of my life, but not "Duped". Duped implies that a person is still under the delusion of lies and falsity. I went the extra distance, and simply discounted and doubted All, in order to separate Historical analysis with Political propaganda, for example.

...do you believe that a man is a woman, or a woman is a man? Are Transmen, Men? Are Transwomen, Women? Tell me.

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmSo, WHY do 'you' WASTE 'your life', "wizard22"?

And, HOW are 'you' WASTING 'your life'?
I try not to waste my life, but like most people, I do have some hedonistic impulses and vices. Everybody does, and that's a challenge for all.

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pm1. WHY, and in regards to 'what', EXACTLY?

2. You may deem or BELIEVE your life to be meaningful, to you, but does that make it so?
I cannot go into my Metaphysical analyses with strangers that I don't trust; since I don't know you very well.

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmWHY NOT?
Because people would steal them, or spread them prematurely as rumors.

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmJust like the other human beings who use drugs, besides you, who BELIEVE their life is 'meaningful', correct?
I believe that drug-abusers are severely Depressed, and most readily admit that their drug-abuse is not Meaningful, and is indeed a waste of life. Most addicts will admit that they are not Healthy, Loved, or Cared for, for example.

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmI do NOT understand this sentence.
Wizard22 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:23 amWhat do you believe is a Meaningful Life?
1. A so-called 'Meaningful Life' does NOT really make sense to me.

2. I neither BELIEVE nor DISBELIEVE ANY thing.
So do you deny here that some lives are more-or-less Meaningful than others?

Or that a person can 'objectively' waste or destroy their own lives, or that of others?

Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:06 pmThere are probably a countless number of terms that 'we', and "others", so-call approach differently.

WHY do you think there is SO MUCH CONFUSION and MISUNDERSTANDING among human beings?
Because Political propaganda tends to dominate the common man throughout history. And the amount of Lies and Falsity common people are fed, Demoralizes them to the point of giving-up on 'Truth' early on in life.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:16 pmI'm not sure that the term "objective reality" even means anything, but assuming there is such a thing, we are not designed to experience it. Our physical and psychological makeup is geared for optimum performance within the reality our unaugmented senses present to us. Why on eath would we think that we would fare better in a state that is alien to us?
When you go to sleep, to this world continue to Exist beyond your awareness and perception?

If you believe so, then is that not "Objective Reality"? Does that Objective Reality exist "beyond" yourself?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:32 am
Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:16 pmI'm not sure that the term "objective reality" even means anything, but assuming there is such a thing, we are not designed to experience it. Our physical and psychological makeup is geared for optimum performance within the reality our unaugmented senses present to us. Why on eath would we think that we would fare better in a state that is alien to us?
When you go to sleep, to this world continue to Exist beyond your awareness and perception?

If you believe so, then is that not "Objective Reality"? Does that Objective Reality exist "beyond" yourself?
Wizard, that's a fair enough example of objective reality. Some people call what you describe 'mind independent' reality.

I happen to agree with Harbal that reality is mind dependent. I know Harbal didn't say " mind dependent "in so many words but I think what he did say implies my claim.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

So you admit that Existence is entirely subjective, and I disagree.

But that's beside the point.

What is the Meaning of Life, Belinda?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:51 am So you admit that Existence is entirely subjective, and I disagree.

But that's beside the point.

What is the Meaning of Life, Belinda?
My meaning and your meaning probably share some of the same basic intentions. I don't know about you but I juggle several meanings and intentions in my life. None of those meaning and intentions is worthy of honorific capital letters.

My moral meanings and intentions are basically what I learned as a child who was influenced by the significant others in my social circle who were liberal Christians or in one case (my kind and intellectual brother) who was for a substantial part liberal post-Christian.

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmDo you REALLY BELIEVE that you can speak FOR absolutely EVERY so-called "scientist" and "empiricist" here?
I speak for some; I didn't say "EVERY". That's your own interpretation.
You ALSO did NOT say "SOME". If that is your OWN interpretation, and what you ACTUALLY MEANT, then you, OBVIOUSLY, did NOT PRESENT 'that'.

I asked you, SPECIFICALLY to CLARIFY; WHO accepts that as 'Objective Reality'?

And you WROTE, SPECIFICALLY; Scientists and Empiricists, AND NOTHING ELSE.

So, are you now 'trying to' suggest that EVERY time you CLARIFY some thing, that I am then to ask ANOTHER CLARIFYING QUESTION, or to PRESUME that when you CLARIFY that what you ACTUALLY MEAN is NOT ALL of that 'thing' but only SOME of 'it/them'?

So, now we are AT, ONLY SOME so-called "scientists" and "empiricists" accept 'that' as Objective Reality.

Which, REALLY, says and means NOT much AT ALL,

SOME "scientists" and "empiricts" accept that the Universe BEGAN and IS EXPANDING, while SOME do NOT. And, SOME accept one, but NOT the other. While SOME accept NEITHER. While still SOME more remain OPEN and accept that they do NOT YET what to accept.
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmHow have these just OTHER human beings' lives supposedly had MORE 'meaning' than ANY other human being?
Yes, more or less 'meaningful' lives are judged by successes and victories, and not failures. History looks down upon failure.
1. 'History', itself, does NOT LOOK UP NOR DOWN on absolutely ANY thing AT ALL.

2. I NEVER judge so-called 'meaningful' lives on so-called 'successes', 'victories', NOR 'failures'. For if I did, then your life would be absolutely MEANINGLESS.

3. Are you SAYING that the way these OTHER human beings have, supposedly, hade so-called MORE 'meaning' is just because they are being 'judged'?

If yes, then WHO are they being 'judged' by?
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmWhat does the 'meaning of life' even mean, to you?
Scientifically and Objectively, the Meaning of Life can be measured by the 'Value' of a Life.
And what is the 'Value of a Life' even mean or refer to, EXACTLY? And, AGAIN, WHO is doing the 'measuring' here?

Some say that a fetus' 'HAS 'value', and thus 'meaning', according to your "logic" here, BUT they are NOT YET done ANY thing, which could be classed as a 'success', a 'victory', NOR a 'failure', well not that I am aware of YET. Also, what could they ACTUALLY DO that one would even 'judge' them on, EXACTLY?

And, do you think or BELIEVE that by just starting your sentence with the 'Scientifically' and 'Objectively' words, and doing so with captial letters will provide your CLAIM here MORE WEIGHT?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am People place subjective values onto Life.
Well this is Truly OBVIOUS.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am One person's life is worth more or less than another.
LOL TO WHOM, EXACTLY?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am For example, a very old man's life is (publicly agreed upon) worth less than an infant or child's life.
In what 'public' ARENA was this VOTED UPON.

I SEE EVERY one's life WORTH the EXACT SAME.

That an older person, relatively speaking, has, ACTUALLY and IRREFUTABLY, 'less' to live for than a younger person does, could NEVER be in doubt. But that one person's life is MORE 'worthless' than "anothers", then I am NOT sure what 'public forum' you obtained this 'agreement' from, but I am pretty sure that it did NOT constitute of MANY members AT ALL.

In fact I would be somewhat surprised if you gathered more than TWO in agreement that a so-called "old man's life' was worth LESS than an infant's or a child's life.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Most people claim this.
Besides 'you', "wizard22", I do NOT KNOW of ANY else who has CLAIMED this.

Would you like to do a survey, within this public forum, and FIND OUT just how MANY are IN AGREEMENT that an "old man's life" is 'worth' LESS than an infant's or a child's life, and SEE what thee ACTUAL Truth is here?

If no, then WHY NOT?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Or, if you want money values, then look into Health insurance and Life insurance policies.
I do NOT want 'money values'. As to me 'money' has absolutely NO 'value' AT ALL in Life, compared to what REALLY matters.

Also, have you FORGOTTEN what the ACTUAL CLARIFYING QUESTION was, which I posed to you here?

I asked you;

What does the 'meaning of life' even mean, to you?

Would you like to ANSWER and CLARIFY THIS QUESTION, now?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Economically, it is obvious and visible that some lives are worth "more" or less than others. Here, a Liberal will step-in and claim "All Life has Equal Value", but this is simply not practiced in reality.
But what is 'practiced' by 'you', human beings, has absolutely NO necessary bearing AT ALL on what is ACTUALLY and IRREFUTABLY True.

You have stated here, that people's lives are worth MORE or worthLESS than "others" lives ARE, and that this can be CLEARLY SEEN in 'practice' by SOME of human beings, has NO bearing on whether it is ACTUALLY True or NOT that 'ALL life has equal value' or NOT. You have ALSO 'tried to' CLAIM that people's lives do NOT have equal value BECAUSE it is 'public consensus'. Besides the Fact that this 'consensus' is YET to be SHOWN, and thus SEEN, the CLAIM that what the majority of people think or BELIEVE 'matters' or makes up thee ACTUAL Truth of things is STILL VERY MUCH IN DOUBT. And since what the majority of people think or BELIEVE has ALREADY been PROVED to NOT be a reliable source for Truth, NOR Justice, then we can just SKIP OVER this anyway.

Now, and before I FORGET, stating that people's lives are WORTH-LESS compared to "other" lives STILL does NOT answer the question ABOUT what does the meaning of life, mean to you.

Oh, and by the way, the MAIN REASON WHY SOME people just do NOT 'practice' treating ALL life EQUALLY is because SOME people ACTUALLY Truly BELIEVE that NOT ALL life has EQUAL 'value'.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am At the very least, a person subjectively places his/her own life as much more valuable than those of strangers.
WHY do you do this?

I do NOT do this.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am In some circumstances, a person may sacrifice his/her own life for immediate family, or for strangers in emergency circumstances, but this is Rare and less Common.
BUT, it HAPPENS in 'practice', correct?

Or, can ONLY what is done by the 'majority' be SEEN and LOOKED AT as ONLY what is TRUE and REAL, to you?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Thus self-sacrifice needs to be investigated.
WHY? Because it happens LESS FREQUENTLY?

If yes, then have you EVER considered that it is just the case that one is put into the position of HAVING to risk their OWN life to SAVE "anothers" life?

Also, WHY does 'self-sacrifice NEED to be investigated? After all it is NOT like a 'crime', like where the KILLING of human beings, is USUALLY 'wanted' and some consider 'needs' to be investigated.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Having said all this, I personally value Wisdom, Insight, Trust, and Philosophy.
WHO CARES?

The QUESTION posed to you WAS:

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am I find these things meaningful and valuable, for myself, but understand that most people may not feel the same way, and tend not.
Okay. But I find these things an ATTEMPT at DISTRACTION. But I also ACKNOWLEDGE that you are probably NOT EVEN AWARE of just how DISTRACTED you had become here.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Hubris, for example, most people act as though Ignorance and Bravado, fakery and sophistry, are more valuable than Philosophy. So in that, I disagree with most.
Okay. But to be Truly Honest with you, I do NOT have the slightest bit of care AT ALL.

I just here wanted to KNOW what the meaning of life, even means, to you.
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pm
Wizard22 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:23 am People can be, and often are, misled into Falsities and Lies, and pursue goals that they first thought were very meaningful and important to them, only to later realize that they were duped.
Does this include 'you'?

If yes, then could this be happening and occuring right now, to 'you'?
I have been lied to for most of my life, but not "Duped". Duped implies that a person is still under the delusion of lies and falsity.
So, just to be absolutely CLEAR, at the moment when you wrote this, you were NOT being 'duped' and thus NOT under ANY delusion of lies and falsity, correct?

Also, is it NOT even possible that you are under your OWN delusion, from LIES and FALSITIES that 'you', "yourself", have been TELLING and SHARING?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am I went the extra distance, and simply discounted and doubted All, in order to separate Historical analysis with Political propaganda, for example.

...do you believe that a man is a woman, or a woman is a man? Are Transmen, Men? Are Transwomen, Women? Tell me.
To me, a 'man' or a 'woman' and/or 'male' or 'female' have absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to do with absolutely ANY thing other than the sexual organs and breast feeding parts of the body, itself.

Oh, and by the way, I do NOT believe NOR disbelieve absolutely ANY thing.

Furthermore, if I was to ask you, What, EXACTLY, IS a 'man' and a 'woman'? Then how would you answer?

Besides the sex organs and baby nuturing implements on the human body what else could you tell us about 'men' and 'women'? (Which, by the way, was IRREFUTABLY ACCURATE.)
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmSo, WHY do 'you' WASTE 'your life', "wizard22"?

And, HOW are 'you' WASTING 'your life'?
I try not to waste my life, but like most people, I do have some hedonistic impulses and vices.
I did NOT ask if you do NOT 'try to' waste your life. I ALREADY KNOW you ARE.

That is WHY I asked you, 'WHY do 'you' WASTE 'your life'?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Everybody does, and that's a challenge for all.
Ah, the OLD, "EVERY one does it, so I can do it also", EXCUSE.

2. You may deem or BELIEVE your life to be meaningful, to you, but does that make it so?
I cannot go into my Metaphysical analyses with strangers that I don't trust; since I don't know you very well.
I NEVER asked for 'that'.

I just asked, does DEEMING or BELIEVING your life to be meaningful make your life meaningful?

A 'Yes' or a 'No' would suffice. I do NOT need to hear your life story to just answer that.
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmWHY NOT?
Because people would steal them, or spread them prematurely as rumors.
Okay.
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmJust like the other human beings who use drugs, besides you, who BELIEVE their life is 'meaningful', correct?
I believe that drug-abusers are severely Depressed,
How do you define 'drug-abuser'?

And is it only so-called "drug-abusers" who are "severly Depressed"?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am and most readily admit that their drug-abuse is not Meaningful, and is indeed a waste of life. Most addicts will admit that they are not Healthy, Loved, or Cared for, for example.
Okay. I have NOT spoken with "most addicts" so I do NOT know what they admit.

Also, how realiable, EXACTLY, is what a so-called "addict" 'admits'?
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pmI do NOT understand this sentence.
Wizard22 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:23 amWhat do you believe is a Meaningful Life?
1. A so-called 'Meaningful Life' does NOT really make sense to me.

2. I neither BELIEVE nor DISBELIEVE ANY thing.
So do you deny here that some lives are more-or-less Meaningful than others?
I found that what is Truly 'meaningful', or just 'full-of-meaning', is found IN SOME ANSWERS and RESPONSES, and does NOT REALLY have absolutely ANY thing AT ALL to do with 'lives', themselves.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Or that a person can 'objectively' waste or destroy their own lives, or that of others?
How do 'you' OBTAIN 'obectivity', so that you can then LOOK AT and SEE 'things' 'objectively'?
Age wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:06 pmThere are probably a countless number of terms that 'we', and "others", so-call approach differently.

WHY do you think there is SO MUCH CONFUSION and MISUNDERSTANDING among human beings?
Because Political propaganda tends to dominate the common man throughout history.
WHY are ONLY 'men' dominated this way? Are 'women' NOT dominated AT ALL, or if by some OTHER 'thing', then what is 'that', EXACTLY?

Also, I think it would be fair to say that human history has been around a LOT longer than 'political propaganda', so are you saying or suggesting that CONFUSION and MISUNDERSTANDING among human beings has only been in Existence since 'political propaganda' 'arrived on the scene', as some might say?

] And the amount of Lies and Falsity common people are fed, Demoralizes them to the point of giving-up on 'Truth' early on in life.
[/quote]

What do 'you' mean by 'common people'?

Have you NOT been fed Lies and Falsities, or are you ABLE TO SEE THROUGH ALL of the ones that you have been fed?

Also, have you given up on 'Truth'?

If no, then have you found 'It' YET?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Response to Belinda,

I asked, and you went to Moralty. Why do you find Meaning there, as opposed to say, an intellectual or scientific endeavor?

...or compared to a military campaign? Is it that, people find more Meaning in their areas of specialty rather than where they are more ignorant?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:31 am Response to Belinda,

I asked, and you went to Moralty. Why do you find Meaning there, as opposed to say, an intellectual or scientific endeavor?

...or compared to a military campaign? Is it that, people find more Meaning in their areas of specialty rather than where they are more ignorant?
I don't particularly want to elevate morality. It's just that morality affects all other endeavours, including philosophy. Military campaigns too as you say, and how the mechanic mends a car and so forth.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amYou ALSO did NOT say "SOME". If that is your OWN interpretation, and what you ACTUALLY MEANT, then you, OBVIOUSLY, did NOT PRESENT 'that'.

I asked you, SPECIFICALLY to CLARIFY; WHO accepts that as 'Objective Reality'?

And you WROTE, SPECIFICALLY; Scientists and Empiricists, AND NOTHING ELSE.

So, are you now 'trying to' suggest that EVERY time you CLARIFY some thing, that I am then to ask ANOTHER CLARIFYING QUESTION, or to PRESUME that when you CLARIFY that what you ACTUALLY MEAN is NOT ALL of that 'thing' but only SOME of 'it/them'?

So, now we are AT, ONLY SOME so-called "scientists" and "empiricists" accept 'that' as Objective Reality.

Which, REALLY, says and means NOT much AT ALL,

SOME "scientists" and "empiricts" accept that the Universe BEGAN and IS EXPANDING, while SOME do NOT. And, SOME accept one, but NOT the other. While SOME accept NEITHER. While still SOME more remain OPEN and accept that they do NOT YET what to accept.
Yes, because some Scientists are Physicists, some Scientists are Biologists, some Scientists are Geologists, etc.

There's many types of Science. Empiricism is a summation between Science and Philosophy together, regarding "Objective Reality".

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 am1. 'History', itself, does NOT LOOK UP NOR DOWN on absolutely ANY thing AT ALL.

2. I NEVER judge so-called 'meaningful' lives on so-called 'successes', 'victories', NOR 'failures'. For if I did, then your life would be absolutely MEANINGLESS.

3. Are you SAYING that the way these OTHER human beings have, supposedly, hade so-called MORE 'meaning' is just because they are being 'judged'?

If yes, then WHO are they being 'judged' by?
That's not true. Historians record some individuals, but not other, and usually according to Fame and the ability of an individual to, seemingly alone, "move history forward". In other words, some rare individuals are monumental in "moving history forward". That's why a small group is included into "History", but most are not. This also demonstrates the "Meaningful" Life opposed to the "Meaningless" Life, not a complete argument, but some indication. At the very least, Historians have a Bias. More can be examined there.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amAnd what is the 'Value of a Life' even mean or refer to, EXACTLY? And, AGAIN, WHO is doing the 'measuring' here?

Some say that a fetus' 'HAS 'value', and thus 'meaning', according to your "logic" here, BUT they are NOT YET done ANY thing, which could be classed as a 'success', a 'victory', NOR a 'failure', well not that I am aware of YET. Also, what could they ACTUALLY DO that one would even 'judge' them on, EXACTLY?

And, do you think or BELIEVE that by just starting your sentence with the 'Scientifically' and 'Objectively' words, and doing so with captial letters will provide your CLAIM here MORE WEIGHT?
I believe that, since all Life has some small degree of Meaning, that life judges other life. You judge me; I judge you; others judge both of us; etc.

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am People place subjective values onto Life.
Well this is Truly OBVIOUS.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amIn what 'public' ARENA was this VOTED UPON.

I SEE EVERY one's life WORTH the EXACT SAME.

That an older person, relatively speaking, has, ACTUALLY and IRREFUTABLY, 'less' to live for than a younger person does, could NEVER be in doubt. But that one person's life is MORE 'worthless' than "anothers", then I am NOT sure what 'public forum' you obtained this 'agreement' from, but I am pretty sure that it did NOT constitute of MANY members AT ALL.

In fact I would be somewhat surprised if you gathered more than TWO in agreement that a so-called "old man's life' was worth LESS than an infant's or a child's life.
I doubt that.

I bet you value your own life more than a complete stranger's, across the world. Why don't you donate your money to that stranger? Why keep your money, if your life is "Equal" to that stranger? Why does your hunger, food, and diet take Precedence to that stranger's?

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amBesides 'you', "wizard22", I do NOT KNOW of ANY else who has CLAIMED this.

Would you like to do a survey, within this public forum, and FIND OUT just how MANY are IN AGREEMENT that an "old man's life" is 'worth' LESS than an infant's or a child's life, and SEE what thee ACTUAL Truth is here?

If no, then WHY NOT?
You just need more life experience. I've debated a lot of people, a lot of times, about a lot of philosophical topics.

It's obvious and common sense that people do not treat Life "equally". People are willing to give up their lives, sometimes, for others. That proves the fact. Or that a person is selfish, also, proves the fact. There is no demonstration of "Equality" in either direction.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amI do NOT want 'money values'. As to me 'money' has absolutely NO 'value' AT ALL in Life, compared to what REALLY matters.

Also, have you FORGOTTEN what the ACTUAL CLARIFYING QUESTION was, which I posed to you here?

I asked you;

Would you like to ANSWER and CLARIFY THIS QUESTION, now?
Did I not answer to you already? Perhaps I'll need to rewind this thread and see where you asked and I answered...?

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amBut what is 'practiced' by 'you', human beings, has absolutely NO necessary bearing AT ALL on what is ACTUALLY and IRREFUTABLY True.

You have stated here, that people's lives are worth MORE or worthLESS than "others" lives ARE, and that this can be CLEARLY SEEN in 'practice' by SOME of human beings, has NO bearing on whether it is ACTUALLY True or NOT that 'ALL life has equal value' or NOT. You have ALSO 'tried to' CLAIM that people's lives do NOT have equal value BECAUSE it is 'public consensus'. Besides the Fact that this 'consensus' is YET to be SHOWN, and thus SEEN, the CLAIM that what the majority of people think or BELIEVE 'matters' or makes up thee ACTUAL Truth of things is STILL VERY MUCH IN DOUBT. And since what the majority of people think or BELIEVE has ALREADY been PROVED to NOT be a reliable source for Truth, NOR Justice, then we can just SKIP OVER this anyway.

Now, and before I FORGET, stating that people's lives are WORTH-LESS compared to "other" lives STILL does NOT answer the question ABOUT what does the meaning of life, mean to you.

Oh, and by the way, the MAIN REASON WHY SOME people just do NOT 'practice' treating ALL life EQUALLY is because SOME people ACTUALLY Truly BELIEVE that NOT ALL life has EQUAL 'value'.
That matter of "Proving" it is, of course, different than demonstrations and arguments.

I'll simply cut to the chase here. People act as-if Life has meaning. People survive, and in so surviving, demonstrate at least some Value on Life. Whether it is Meaningful, proceeds from there.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amWHY do you do this?

I do NOT do this.
Everybody does it by Action. You feed yourself. You do not starve yourself to death, to give your food to strangers. You could, but you choose not to. Everybody has degrees of selfishness, and selflessness. Some people have more resources/assets than others. Some people have bigger bank accounts.

Do you deny this?? If you accept it, then how do you account for "Equality"? Where is the Equality, except theoretical and hypothetical, except imagined (by you)??

Why aren't all bank accounts on Earth "Equal"?? Should they be??

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amBUT, it HAPPENS in 'practice', correct?

Or, can ONLY what is done by the 'majority' be SEEN and LOOKED AT as ONLY what is TRUE and REAL, to you?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Thus self-sacrifice needs to be investigated.
WHY? Because it happens LESS FREQUENTLY?

If yes, then have you EVER considered that it is just the case that one is put into the position of HAVING to risk their OWN life to SAVE "anothers" life?

Also, WHY does 'self-sacrifice NEED to be investigated? After all it is NOT like a 'crime', like where the KILLING of human beings, is USUALLY 'wanted' and some consider 'needs' to be investigated.
Because sometimes a person trying to save somebody's life, fails, and wastes his own life trying.

Even selflessness has faults. It doesn't automatically make somebody Righteous, even though they might believe it.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amWHO CARES?

The QUESTION posed to you WAS:

I'm not going to repeat myself.

You asked. I answered. You can ask me more, as to the answer I've already given you.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amOkay. But to be Truly Honest with you, I do NOT have the slightest bit of care AT ALL.

I just here wanted to KNOW what the meaning of life, even means, to you.
You DO care, otherwise you wouldn't have asked.

You can be dishonest, if you like, but that's your own prerogative.

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 amSo, just to be absolutely CLEAR, at the moment when you wrote this, you were NOT being 'duped' and thus NOT under ANY delusion of lies and falsity, correct?

Also, is it NOT even possible that you are under your OWN delusion, from LIES and FALSITIES that 'you', "yourself", have been TELLING and SHARING?
Correct, if I am indeed Duped, then I wouldn't be aware, and neither would you of your own Duping.

That's the problem with some degrees of Lies and Falsity, is that it can go beyond many people's ability to understand or recognize.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amTo me, a 'man' or a 'woman' and/or 'male' or 'female' have absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to do with absolutely ANY thing other than the sexual organs and breast feeding parts of the body, itself.

Oh, and by the way, I do NOT believe NOR disbelieve absolutely ANY thing.

Furthermore, if I was to ask you, What, EXACTLY, IS a 'man' and a 'woman'? Then how would you answer?

Besides the sex organs and baby nuturing implements on the human body what else could you tell us about 'men' and 'women'? (Which, by the way, was IRREFUTABLY ACCURATE.)
I would agree with sex organs, but also go further and argue for Chromosomes. Male and Female is genetic, and cannot be lied about on the genetic level.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amI did NOT ask if you do NOT 'try to' waste your life. I ALREADY KNOW you ARE.

That is WHY I asked you, 'WHY do 'you' WASTE 'your life'?
I don't think I do "waste it", fundamentally. Hedonism is wasteful, though. It's a matter of degree, of hedonism.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amAh, the OLD, "EVERY one does it, so I can do it also", EXCUSE.

I NEVER asked for 'that'.

I just asked, does DEEMING or BELIEVING your life to be meaningful make your life meaningful?

A 'Yes' or a 'No' would suffice. I do NOT need to hear your life story to just answer that.
No, it's not a matter of Subjective belief. I believe I already stated that. It's not *ONLY* up to me, regarding my Meaning of Life, or meaning IN life. Other people account for it, and then there's Objective Reality, the probability that some exceptional actions or methods or deeds in life maybe MORE meaningful than others.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amHow do you define 'drug-abuser'?
Somebody who is addicted to a drug that is misdiagnosed or used outside of an accurate medical prescription.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amOkay. I have NOT spoken with "most addicts" so I do NOT know what they admit.

Also, how realiable, EXACTLY, is what a so-called "addict" 'admits'?
I think it's accurate, considering that drug-abusers over-dose and often die from their drug abuse.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amI found that what is Truly 'meaningful', or just 'full-of-meaning', is found IN SOME ANSWERS and RESPONSES, and does NOT REALLY have absolutely ANY thing AT ALL to do with 'lives', themselves.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 am Or that a person can 'objectively' waste or destroy their own lives, or that of others?
How do 'you' OBTAIN 'obectivity', so that you can then LOOK AT and SEE 'things' 'objectively'?
I rationalize it.

It seems logical to me that Existence still exists, despite my not perceiving it or being aware of it. I do NOT believe that you or Belinda 'disappear' from Objective Reality when I go to sleep. I believe, that when I die, that you and Belinda will continue to persist. Reality is NOT dependent upon my Subjective reality, my awareness, my life.

Life is BEYOND myself. That makes rational sense to me.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amWHY are ONLY 'men' dominated this way? Are 'women' NOT dominated AT ALL, or if by some OTHER 'thing', then what is 'that', EXACTLY?

Also, I think it would be fair to say that human history has been around a LOT longer than 'political propaganda', so are you saying or suggesting that CONFUSION and MISUNDERSTANDING among human beings has only been in Existence since 'political propaganda' 'arrived on the scene', as some might say?
I disagree, there has been political propaganda since forever. In Ancient societies, Mythology and Mysticism were propagandistic. You needed to believe in the Gods of your ancestors, to demonstrate political loyalty and familial affinity. So, in that regard, if gods are Lied about, then so too would everything that follows.

Age wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:29 amWhat do 'you' mean by 'common people'?

Have you NOT been fed Lies and Falsities, or are you ABLE TO SEE THROUGH ALL of the ones that you have been fed?

Also, have you given up on 'Truth'?

If no, then have you found 'It' YET?
By "common people", I mean people that avoid Philosophy and the "big questions" in life, and death. I have found some aspects of 'Truth', but never enough to Satisfy. That's what Philosophy is about.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:47 am I don't particularly want to elevate morality. It's just that morality affects all other endeavours, including philosophy. Military campaigns too as you say, and how the mechanic mends a car and so forth.
How is your Morality righteous or true, compared to another?

Why are you "Liberal Christian" instead of...a fundamentalist Moslem, or a secular Jew? Why one moral system, but not another? Is it inherited? Therefore, is your Meaning in Life, also inherited?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

What is the Meaning of Life?

Or, what is my purpose? Today, it's raisin' my kid to be self-directing, self-reliant, and self-responsible. Yesterday, it was sumthin' else. Tomorrow, hell if I know.

I reckon over the course of person's life he takes on, or discovers, or crafts for himself, any number of meanings of life.

It does not seem to me there is one, overarching, meaning of life.

Does God Exist (and How)?

I think so. As a person with His own agendas. One of those agendas was buildin' a determined universe then, perhaps perversely, plunkin' little, limited versions of Himself (free wills/agents) down into that universe.

What is the Nature of Reality?

Reality is a big, mostly empty, box wherein things and entities exist. Mostly, Reality is a cause & effect affair, a big fat cable made of innumerable causal chains. We, those little, limited versions of the Creator, have the privilege (responsibility?) of bein' able to begin causal chains and to end and bend at least some causal chains.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:00 pm
Belinda wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:47 am I don't particularly want to elevate morality. It's just that morality affects all other endeavours, including philosophy. Military campaigns too as you say, and how the mechanic mends a car and so forth.
How is your Morality righteous or true, compared to another?

Why are you "Liberal Christian" instead of...a fundamentalist Moslem, or a secular Jew? Why one moral system, but not another? Is it inherited? Therefore, is your Meaning in Life, also inherited?
My moral principles are true for me and may well not be true for someone else. My standard of comparison is based on what the person concerned does.

Liberal Christianity is learned as are Islam, Judaism, Republicanism, pride, the Protestant work ethic, Democracy, Socialism, handwriting, computing, world view, mathematics, snobbery, and so on. My notion of what my life means to me is learned, not inherited. I am still learning.

If "the meaning of life" pertains to life as a biological fact "the meaning of life" is nonsense as life is not an entity that seeks or professes meanings.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:09 pm What is the Meaning of Life?

Or, what is my purpose? Today, it's raisin' my kid to be self-directing, self-reliant, and self-responsible. Yesterday, it was sumthin' else. Tomorrow, hell if I know.

I reckon over the course of person's life he takes on, or discovers, or crafts for himself, any number of meanings of life.

It does not seem to me there is one, overarching, meaning of life.

Does God Exist (and How)?

I think so. As a person with His own agendas. One of those agendas was buildin' a determined universe then, perhaps perversely, plunkin' little, limited versions of Himself (free wills/agents) down into that universe.

What is the Nature of Reality?

Reality is a big, mostly empty, box wherein things and entities exist. Mostly, Reality is a cause & effect affair, a big fat cable made of innumerable causal chains. We, those little, limited versions of the Creator, have the privilege (responsibility?) of bein' able to begin causal chains and to end and bend at least some causal chains.
WHY do 'you' have or hold views, which let alone could NEVER be ACTUALLY true, they could NOT even be POSSIBLY true?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

WHY do 'you' have or hold views, which let alone could NEVER be ACTUALLY true, they could NOT even be POSSIBLY true?
I have no clue what you're askin'.