What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: who's art is it?

Post by Belinda »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:08 am
popeye1945 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:28 pm Belinda,

Frankly, it all sounds like context to me certainly context in transformation at times, but to think what contextual experience has taught us in the past does not determine what is to come is not logical. We are that which experiences and we react out of those experiences, experience is knowledge, art is the management thereof.
I think I agree with you. To make sure I understand what you are saying would you please say what, other than context, someone might suggest art springs from ? ( or any other human endeavour springs from ). True, there are what are usually called 'instincts' but these would be dormant or moribund in a context vacuum.
Belinda,

Context is in its full meaning the world as object. As to the source of art like all other endevores it comes as a biological extension into the world as object, an expression a manifestation of human nature. Humanity being much more complex than its cousins it is also creatively more complex. Art is a human endevor for though in nature there is much beauty it comes to be though a natural process but basically unintentional. I believe art is a celebration of object/s in the widest sense. Beauty is the most healthy well adapted samples of its kind and according to kind it has measures of structure and form which in itself determines function. The essence of life being the same in all creatures, it is the complexity of organism and structure and form which makes for differentiation, but not essence, essence is the same across the board.

Art is communication between elements of a common biology and what is the communication about, it can only be about what it is to be and be in a human world. Biology creates objects through the energies that affect change in that same said biology thus, you might say that objects are ideas of the body as mind interprets, for the body is the idea of the mind. We know all meaning is the property of the subject, read biology because apparent reality is a reaction to the energies of the physical world which is composed of pure energies. I'll try not to babble on to much longer, so, art is the expression of the nature of humanities relations to itself for there is no separation between the object topic and the biological sensing of it.
Yes, art, like any other endeavour, is a response to being in the world and may well be called "biological".

Some people (but not I) may claim a work of art is a direct and irresistible influence from God. Athena was the Greek (polytheist) goddess of art and creativity. Polytheistic gods are unpredictable supernatural forces that are inexorable like natural disasters are inexorable.
[/quote]

Belinda,

Much like the Hindu gods which are not the ultimate, but represent the verious energies that manifest in human nature.
[/quote]
I think all gods are explanations of the world and of our human condition, and I don't believe gods intervene in history to arbitrarily influence the course of events. One event is the creation of a work of art, and I don't believe gods ever intervene on special miraculous occasions to get an artist to create something. Since miracles are never the case what remains is what you call "biology" or "context".
popeye1945

Re: whose art is it?

Post by popeye1945 »

Belinda,

It looks to me like we are very much on the same page --- delightful!! :D
Walker

Post by Walker »

Advocate wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:43 pm If you're looking at a piece of art and seeing something other than what the artist intended, you're seeing a piece of art You created out of their art. Likewise if you don't know what was intended, or if either of you simply don't care.
It belongs to the philospher.

Generosity of spirit is practiced by fools and saints.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjl3vA7oLXs

Combine this comment with the video and that’s plenty of material for expansion into principles that can be accurately applied to any most new phenomena that appears within a society. The question is, why bother? Why expand the premise? Well, I’ll tell you. Although the Philosophy Gods are handy touchstones for point sharpening, and can be tired old gods if dusty, the bother is in order to be a philosopher. To make that dream of being a philosopher come ever so true.

To be a philosopher every moment, upon any apprehension that may catch one’s interest, just like a master musician is a master musician with every performance, to be a philosopher every moment is not merely to ape the masters, not merely to think of oneself as philosopher without ever giving much thought to much.

Like it or not, dualistic thought is required to be a philosopher who walks in the beauty of art, particular some of that modern art stuff.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Arq got off his train. It was 40 degrees outside, and humid to boot. He was from Alaska and the damp heat got to him almost in an instant. Perspiring intensely he made a beeline to a huge tree - its canopy was huge and broad and many people, tourists mostly, like him, were gathered in the tree's voluminous shadow. As he found a spot for himself, a flock of young Mortasan children, oblivious to the sun and the wet, wet air, looked at him and pointing to the tree, cried out "King! King!"
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:43 pm If you're looking at a piece of art and seeing something other than what the artist intended, you're seeing a piece of art You created out of their art. Likewise if you don't know what was intended, or if either of you simply don't care.
I guess I would say there is a collaborative process between artists and art experiencers (and then also with materials).
But it's also a bit mythic that the artist will consciously know his or her intentions. As a creator of art I have experienced many times finding in old works clear patterns that I was not aware of at the time. They could be insights I only later had consciously about family or myself, for example. I thought [consciously, that is] that the story or artwork or song was about X, or even just whatever I focused on without thinking of meaning or theme or communicating something specific. And I can see that something else is going on. And also sometimes other people pick these things up and I thought, nah. Then later realized that there was a lot of support for what they were saying, and, yes, it precisely matched the collapse, say, of a relationship that hadn't quite happened yet in real life.