nihilism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

phyllo

Re: nihilism

Post by phyllo »

Unless, of course, he's wrong. 8)
How can I be wrong about the point of my post?

Surely, I know what I'm attempting to say better than anyone.
Also, please attempt to explain to me what on Earth you think he is arguing above. What am I going to do about...what? About having a cat on my lap? About cooking and eating it?

That distinction is actually a very important one to some folks.
That distinction about being able to demonstrate in the either/or world and not in the is/ought world, is a cornerstone of your posting.

But clearly it's faulty.

Are you going to change and adapt to fix this fault? Are you no longer going to use the distinction because it can't be fixed?

Or are you going to carry on as if nothing happened? As if nobody has pointed out a problem with it? As if there is no problem?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

phyllo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:08 pm
Unless, of course, he's wrong. 8)
How can I be wrong about the point of my post?

Surely, I know what I'm attempting to say better than anyone.
Try this...

Put a cat on your lap. Invite family and friends over and tell them that you have a tarantula on your lap. If they tell you that you are wrong, explain to them, "look, I know what I'm attempting to say better than anyone."

Unless, of course, I am missing your point. And, sure, I don't deny that I may well be.

That's why I invite others here to try to explain it better. I invite them to explain why the distinction I make between having a cat on your lap when in fact you do have a cat on your lap may well be the classic example of objective reality. You see the cat, they see the cat. Unless, like Maia, they are blind. Whereas killing, cooking and eating the cat is far more likely to provoke conflicting reactions.

Just out of curiosity, are you putting me on here? Is phyllo a character -- the philosophical equivalent of an "agent provocateur"? -- you play here in order to provoke others? For whatever rooted existentially in dasein personal reason?

And it's not a "condition" is it?
Note to others:

You have a cat on your lap. Do you believe that you could demonstrate this to someone from PETA??

You have a cat cooking on the stove. It's dinner. Do you believe that you could demonstrate to someone from PETA that eating it is entirely moral?

Also, please attempt to explain to me what on Earth you think he is arguing above. What am I going to do about...what? About having a cat on my lap? About cooking and eating it?

That distinction is actually a very important one to some folks.
phyllo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:08 pmThat distinction about being able to demonstrate in the either/or world and not in the is/ought world, is a cornerstone of your posting.

But clearly it's faulty.
Let's run that by the folks in Ukraine and Israel and the Gaza Strip. Ask them if they believe there is a distinction to be made between the wars themselves and establishing whether or not the wars are just. And then establishing from which side's point of view?
phyllo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:08 pmAre you going to change and adapt to fix this fault? Are you no longer going to use the distinction because it can't be fixed?
From my own rooted existentially in dasein point of view, this is typical objectivist arrogance. I need to change because only your own understanding of this distinction is not faulty.
phyllo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:08 pmOr are you going to carry on as if nothing happened? As if nobody has pointed out a problem with it? As if there is no problem?
I'm going to continue to explain to the best of my ability the points I raise about all of this in these threads:

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 1&t=176529
https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 1&t=194382
https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 5&t=185296

And then wait for one of these...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... traditions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ideologies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... philosophy

...folks to convince me that their own frame of mind is actually more reasonable.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Good. A useful exchange
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

phyllo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:55 pm I'm suggesting that YOU can't demonstrate that there was a cat on your lap at a particular point in time.

Once the cat moves, if there even was a cat, what have you got?

You have a personal claim.

If you have eye witnesses, they would not count as a demonstration. And they may be lying.

If you have photographs and/or videos, those can be disputed as fake or taken at another time.

You don't have anything that all rational men and women are obligated to believe.

If you can't demonstrate something as simple as a cat on a lap, then how can you expect demonstrations of the events in the New Testament, or gods or morality or value judgements? Or any of the things which you dismiss as "only in their heads"?
There is an assumption, often, on the internet and elsewhere, that if you cannot prove/demonstrate that X is true to others, then it is irrational to believe X (happened/is real/exists). This will be a surprise to many rape victims, for example.

For some people these things are binary. Either it is rational for everyone to believe X OR anyone who believes X is irrational to do that.

There's no possible situation where, sure, other people don't have enough to go on to know the other person is correct, but it is possible they are correct. There is no possible agnostic position.

Prove it now (on a computer screen, no less, or it's not true.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Dancing with Absurdity
Fred Leavitt argues that our most cherished beliefs are probably wrong.
If reason were so powerful, people would more often be persuaded to change their views. Yet throughout history, illustrious philosophers wrote lengthy, reasonable arguments, and illustrious others rebutted them.
Arguments about what though?

How many illustrious philosophers challenged the discoveries that physicists and chemists and biologists have made down through the ages? How many nihilists have been able to demonstrate that these discoveries are readily deconstructed such that each of us as individuals are permitted to claim whatever we think is true subjectively about them?

How many scientists were persuaded to change their views in recognizing that the postmodern narrative is no less applicable to their own fields?
Similarily, every year, brilliant lawyers present arguments to the U.S. Supreme Court. Every year the nine Justices, chosen in large part because of their exceptional powers of reasoning, listen attentively.
Please. For many, the current Supreme Court clearly reflects the fact that "exceptional powers of reasoning" comes with a boat load of "rooted existentially in dasein" political prejudices. Not to mention religious prejudices. Not unlike the Earl Warren court back in the Sixties.

Let's face it, the courts are not there to hear cases revolving around endless disputes unfolding in the either/or world. In fact, those disputes themselves tend to revolve instead around the Big Questions.

And thus...
But whenever the dust has settled on arguments concerning gun control, abortion, affirmative action and so forth, the votes of most judges have been highly predictable. Brilliant Antonin Scalia drew one conclusion, brilliant Ruth Bader Ginsburg the opposite. And brilliant Clarence Thomas was mute. “So convenient a thing is it to be a rational creature, since it enables us to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to” – Ben Franklin.
Then the part where I examine how individual minds in regard to "conflicting goods" often embrace one or another moral and political and religious dogma precisely in order to keep nihilism at bay. Call it the "fractured and fragmented" syndrome.
Jean Piaget showed that young children invariably think illogically in some situations. How can we be so arrogant as to assume that Twenty-First Century adult Homo sapiens has reached the pinnacle of logical thinking!
And, of course, those children who are indoctrinated to think "logically" about conflicting goods in exactly the same manner as their parents do. Parents raising their kids out in particular worlds historically and culturally. And here the Twenty-First Century is pretty much like all the rest of them.

So far?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

There is an assumption, often, on the internet and elsewhere, that if you cannot prove/demonstrate that X is true to others, then it is irrational to believe X (happened/is real/exists). This will be a surprise to many rape victims, for example.

For some people these things are binary. Either it is rational for everyone to believe X OR anyone who believes X is irrational to do that.

There's no possible situation where, sure, other people don't have enough to go on to know the other person is correct, but it is possible they are correct. There is no possible agnostic position.

Prove it now (on a computer screen, no less, or it's not true.
I think that many people don't realize that events are not conducive to scientific demonstrations.

What we have are one off events where most information is not saved for subsequent review.

There is no repeatability.

The expectation that there is one thing that all rational men and women are required to believe is completely unrealistic.

In terms of the cat, there are at least 3 rational accounts ...

1. There was a cat on his lap.
2. He hallucinated a cat.
3. He is lying about the cat.

Which one to pick?

That's going to depend a lot on how much you trust him. Do you believe that he is honest or dishonest?

Has his previous behavior shown a pattern?

But even if there was a pattern in the past, one cannot know that it has not been broken in this case.

If one selects one account, is one doing it rationally or irrationally?

Is it possible to suspend judgement if one interacts with him regularly?

That's interesting stuff. :D
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

phyllo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:20 pmIn terms of the cat, there are at least 3 rational accounts ...

Which one to pick?
Or...

In terms of you reading these words...

1] the words are actually here and you are reading them
2] you're hallucinating reading the words
3] you're lying about reading the words

Which one to pick?

I'm really just trying grasp what on Earth you mean in regard to the cat on the lap versus the cat cooking on the stove.

Sure, John can be hallucinating or lying about the cat. But if you visit John there is either a cat on his lap or there is not. If there is and you are not allergic to cats, you might even pick it up and put it on your own lap.

But if you visit John and he is cooking a cat for dinner...?

Or...

1] Russia invaded Ukraine
2] Russia invading Ukraine is just a hallucination
3] Russia invading Ukraine is a lie

Which one to pick?

But, given that very, very, very few of us will pick 2 or 3, what about those who all agree that Russia did invade Ukraine but are attempting to pin down if the invasion was justified?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

phyllo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:20 pm I think that many people don't realize that events are not conducive to scientific demonstrations.
And then: things/entities are not easy to distinguish from events. A perons is an ongoing event for itself and a periodically occurring event for (some) others, for example.
What we have are one off events where most information is not saved for subsequent review.

There is no repeatability.
Yes.
The expectation that there is one thing that all rational men and women are required to believe is completely unrealistic.
Yes
In terms of the cat, there are at least 3 rational accounts ...

Which one to pick?
And, of course, one need not commit to any of those. I think in general most people would tend to accept the person's account. Most people believe cats exist. Most of those people know that cats go on laps. There's little paradigmatic or practical threats in believing the person. It doesn't really matter, unless there are factors we don't know about, so why not believe it. But often it could not possibly be demonstrated.

With something like 'rape', which most people do believe happens, it can get trickier because 1) the stakes are higher and 2) we often have two accounts. For example.

Then we get to situations where there are paradigmatic differences between the discussion partners. This often has very high stakes also.
That's going to depend a lot on how much you trust him. Do you believe that he is honest or dishonest?

Has his previous behavior shown a pattern?
And if it comes to it, what your paradigm is.
But even if there was a pattern in the past, one cannot know that it has not been broken in this case.

If one selects one account, is one doing it rationally or irrationally?
I think it's knee jerk and non-rational in most cases. Just want to add that: irrational means some negative process of coming to a conclusion (defined by whatever one's judgments are), rational indicates, generally, that one has gone through some process of reasoning - attempted to use logic and consensus knowledge - and it generally has a positve connotation.

I am adding non-rational.

The problem with these terms is that they are a mix of descriptions of a process with a value judgment in each case.

I think these meanings should be teased apart.

One can use a rational process, but do it poorly, and even do it well but arrive at a wrong conclusion. One can use a non-rational process but be quite right to generally depend on that.

We make hundreds of decisions (non-rationally) when walking and driving. Quick gut decisions. Just because they are non-rational does not mean we should distrust them. But at the same time others need not assume our choices are correct. We are simply not using some verbal process of analysis which we carry out using logic and consciously sifted through knowledge.
Is it possible to suspend judgement if one interacts with him regularly?
One could, I think, if the he's a bit hit or miss in his accounts as far as we know. I think we can also have mental asterisks. Like, yeah, generally I accept such assertions from this person, but if it was a more important issue I might not, and I'm sort of aware that he makes stuff up sometimes.

That was an example, not thinking of Iambiguous as an individual, but rather just about some hypothetical person asserting they had a cat in their lap an hour ago.

If Iambiguous says he had a cat in his lap a half and hour ago, I'd generally assume this was the case. I mean, the stakes are so low. Sure, perhaps he's fooling me. Whatever. No loss.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

And then: things/entities are not easy to distinguish from events. A perons is an ongoing event for itself and a periodically occurring event for (some) others, for example.
I don't know about that. :?
And, of course, one need not commit to any of those. I think in general most people would tend to accept the person's account. Most people believe cats exist. Most of those people know that cats go on laps. There's little paradigmatic or practical threats in believing the person. It doesn't really matter, unless there are factors we don't know about, so why not believe it. But often it could not possibly be demonstrated.

With something like 'rape', which most people do believe happens, it can get trickier because 1) the stakes are higher and 2) we often have two accounts. For example.

Then we get to situations where there are paradigmatic differences between the discussion partners. This often has very high stakes also.
The cat example just fell out of a post and into my lap.

It's a good example precisely because it is safe and non-threatening. It allows a free exploration of some ideas surrounding demonstrations, rationality, philosophy and arguments.
I think it's knee jerk and non-rational in most cases. Just want to add that: irrational means some negative process of coming to a conclusion (defined by whatever one's judgments are), rational indicates, generally, that one has gone through some process of reasoning - attempted to use logic and consensus knowledge - and it generally has a positve connotation.

I am adding non-rational.
I agree that it's good to add 'non-rational' since 'irrational' is so loaded.
One could, I think, if the he's a bit hit or miss in his accounts as far as we know. I think we can also have mental asterisks. Like, yeah, generally I accept such assertions from this person, but if it was a more important issue I might not, and I'm sort of aware that he makes stuff up sometimes.

That was an example, not thinking of Iambiguous as an individual, but rather just about some hypothetical person asserting they had a cat in their lap an hour ago.

If Iambiguous says he had a cat in his lap a half and hour ago, I'd generally assume this was the case. I mean, the stakes are so low. Sure, perhaps he's fooling me. Whatever. No loss.
It can be a boss, a family member ... anyone who keeps coming into your life.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

phyllo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:37 pm
I don't know about that. :?
I meant for the skeptic.

The cat example just fell out of a post and into my lap.

It's a good example precisely because it is safe and non-threatening. It allows a free exploration of some ideas surrounding demonstrations, rationality, philosophy and arguments.
Sure
I agree that it's good to add 'non-rational' since 'irrational' is so loaded.
Great.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Since one can't demonstrate that there was a cat on the lap at time T, then what can one do?

Point out that one has a trustworthy record. That one has shown no signs of mental illness. That one does not have a history of using hallucinogenic substances.

Point out the low risk of accepting that the cat was there.

None of those are demonstrations in a scientific sense.

They are arguments in favor of one position rather than another.

Of course, all rational men and women are not obligated to accept it. Why would they be?

Now compare it to a moral concept. There is no scientific demonstration for it. There are arguments favoring one position over another.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

What is philosophy for?

It's a tool used to assist thinking.

It's a navigation system.

It doesn't tell you where you are obligated to go.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Dancing with Absurdity
A lot of everyday reasoning (and most science) is inductive. This means that our senses reveal the immediate present, and we use reason to generalize about the unobserved world from what we immediately see.
And our senses seem to be in alignment far more in regard to either/or world. If something is either A or not A relating to math, science, the laws of nature, the rules of logic etc., we can almost always provide an explanation as for why this is. Explanations that rational men and women concur with.

If I see a hunter shoot a deer, it's not likely that others with me will insist that, on the contrary, what they saw was a squirrel or a water buffalo or a peacock being shot.

But what can our senses convey to us such that all men and women agree that shooting the deer is something that is rational and justified.
But the generalizations require the assumption that what has not been observed is similar to what has been observed, or that the future will resemble the past.
Yes, but while the circumstances can vary considerably, someone either shoots a deer or they don't. Our senses are such that few will be stumped regarding what this means. Instead, the conflicts will revolve around the morality of shooting it.
And as David Hume noted, we cannot justify that assumption from experience. To show this, Bertrand Russell invoked a chicken, fed by a man every day of its life and eventually learning to expect its daily feedings, but in the end having its neck wrung by the same man.
And, of course, with human beings, expectations become all the more convoluted. We often cannot grasp what motivates others in regard to ourselves. And there are so many more variables to take into account. After all, what does the chicken know of it's own circumstances? It's all basically instinct. Whereas what we know [or don't know] about our own "situation" can include far, far more complex assumptions about the world we live in. Assumptions that can vary considerably given very different lives.
Russell added that although we believe that the sun will rise tomorrow, we are in no better position to judge...about tomorrow than was the chicken. Russell concluded that there is no rational basis for induction.
On the other hand, that vast gap between what the chicken knows about the man feeding it [and then wringing its neck] and what we know about the Sun rising and setting...?

For one thing, we know that the Sun doesn't rise and set in going around Earth. That's just an illusion derived from the Earth's rotation while instead orbiting the Sun.

But think of all the extraordinary information that we do have about the Sun based on our sense perceptions. It's just that for those scientists who study it, the discussions will not often revolve around moral concerns. Other than the one some raise in regard to space exploration itself...the billions upon billions of dollars spent there when there are so many dire problems to resolve right here on Earth.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Dancing with Absurdity
Following are two examples of inductive reasoning in mathematics. The first leads to a true conclusion, the next to a false one.

1. Consider the numbers 5, 15, 35, 45, 65, 95. Every number ends in 5 and is divisible by 5. An inductive inference is that every number that ends in 5 is divisible by 5. This inference is correct.

2. Consider the numbers 7, 17, 37, 47, 67, 97. Every number ends in 7 and is a prime. An inductive inference is that every number that ends in 7 is a prime. The inference is false. For example, 27 is divisible by 3 and 9.
Nihilism and mathematics? Probably not, right? Unless, in going all the way back to grasping the existence of existence itself, we find out that it is no less excluded. Especially pertaining to teleology, I suspect. Unless of course there is the equivalent of a mathematical proof in regard to meaning and purpose.

Your own perhaps?
Here is a nonmathematical example in which an inductive inference may be incorrect: He is 50. He is articulate and healthy-looking. He drives a nice car. Therefore, at some point in his life he probably worked for a living. However, it’s quite possible that somewhere on earth lives a bright middle-aged Kuwaiti emir, or Rockefeller, or Bush, with hands never soiled by work, who drives a different luxury car every day.
Exactly.

I recall how, as a kid living in the belly of the virulently racist white working-class beast, my family and friends believed that black folks were inferior to whites. So, I believed it as well. And, indeed, all I had to do was look around me. The garbagemen were black, the school janitor was black, the bag boys in the supermarket were black. All the blacks on television were either doing menial tasks or were extras way, way in the background.

It just never occurred to me that racism itself was what brought it all about and perpetuated it.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Dancing with Absurdity
Sensory Data

Empiricists believe that everything we know comes through observations and inferences induced from them. Maybe, but almost all important observations are second- or third- or tenth- hand.
Not to mention the part where, as children, it is the observations of others that clearly count the most. Indeed, by the time we are able to make our own more autonomous observations as adults -- given a free will world -- this indoctrination will almost always have become hopelessly entangled in everything we think, feel, say and do.

In fact, imagine if someone were to follow you around filming every interaction -- every experience -- you had from the cradle to the grave. That way if you are uncertain regarding why you choose the behaviors that you do, you could simply note how your life did unfold existentially as it did...predisposing you to one set of assumptions about moral behavior rather than another.

Yes, we are all born hard-wired to perceive the world around us through our senses. But why must it be what you see and hear and not what others do? And, again, our senses are far, far more reliable in regard to the either/or world.

And yet even in regard to the either/or world...
Few people have walked on the moon or seen the chromosomes of a fruit fly, and nobody I know attended the signing of the Magna Carta. Furthermore, observations don’t help distinguish truth from illusion. Mental institutions are crammed with people who hear voices, or speak with long-dead relatives. And just because people outside institutions are in the majority does not necessarily make their visions more credible.
...not everyone gets it right. But at least truths and falsehoods are able to be more clearly distinguished by mathematicians, physicists, chemists, biologists, logicians, etc.. How often do we encounter them dancing with absurdity?
Empiricists don’t insist that we see the world with total accuracy. They acknowledge the occurrence of hallucinations and sensory illusions; but they say that hallucinations are rare, and that illusions play a trivial role in daily life.
On the other hand, ethicists...