Since Women Were "Liberated"

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Since Women Were "Liberated"

Post by henry quirk »

I heard that I'm incomprehensible.
Which dummy said that?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:46 pm
Which dummy said that?
Walker was the dummy who said it. He says it on most of his posts.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:49 pm
Which dummy said that?
I'm confused... 🤔
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:57 pm
I'm confused... 🤔
I can only tell you my impression of what it is about, henry.

Walker tends to try to sound more intelligent than he is by lauching into flowery outpourings that sound impressive to him, but are quite meaningless to anyone else. I am guessing this has been pointed out to him by several people, but rather than conceding that he might be the one at fault, his ego has convinced him that the failure of others to understand him is due to their inferior intellect. Actually, in a more likeable person, it would be quite endearing.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:08 pm
I'm confused... 🤔
I can only tell you my impression of what it is about, henry.

Walker tends to try to sound more intelligent than he is by lauching into flowery outpourings that sound impressive to him, but are quite meaningless to anyone else. I am guessing this has been pointed out to him by several people, but rather than conceding that he might be the one at fault, his ego has convinced him that the failure of others to understand him is due to their inferior intellect. Actually, in a more likeable person, it would be quite endearing.
I see.

I believe I'm gonna keep outta that one, then....already tusslin', and *pre-tusslin', with too many as it it.

*them preliminary jabs folks take at one another in anticipation of full-blown **tusslin'

**back & forth with the express purpose of castratin' the enemy, standin' over his cryin' self, and declarin' yourself FORUM GOD for five minutes
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:27 pm
I see.

I believe I'm gonna keep outta that one, then....already tusslin', and *pre-tusslin', with too many as it it.

*them preliminary jabs folks take at one another in anticipation of full-blown **tusslin'

**back & forth with the express purpose of castratin' the enemy, standin' over his cryin' self, and declarin' yourself FORUM GOD for five minutes
Well it's not like out in the real world, is it? I mean, nobody is going to end up with a black eye, or worse.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:43 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:27 pm
I see.

Well it's not like out in the real world, is it? I mean, nobody is going to end up with a black eye, or worse.
Is ego-castration better or worse than the RL equivalent? hmmm...a subject that might be worth tusslin' over... 🤔
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:56 pm
Is ego-castration better or worse than the RL equivalent? hmmm...a subject that might be worth tusslin' over... 🤔
I'm not sure what ego castration is, but it doesn't sound pleasant.
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:08 pm Walker tends to try to sound more intelligent than he is by lauching into flowery outpourings that ...
Not quite. Walker is actually more intelligent than he tries to look. That is one of his deceptions. Launching into flowery outpourings to obfuscate his dishonesty—that's another.

Why I mostly ignore Walker
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

mickthinks wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:06 pm
Not quite. Walker is actually more intelligent than he tries to look. That is one of his deceptions. Launching into flowery outpourings to obfuscate his dishonesty—that's another.
Well at least we seem to agree about his dishonesty.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:44 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:15 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:10 pm I think a lot of that is self-fufillin' prophecy. We're told assertive women are seen as bossy, so we do.
ARe you that influenced by what people tell you?
In short: them studies are hogwash.
Doesn't seem like it.
Not too much. I listen, assess, then dismiss or accept. As I say in many places, in-forum, I'm the gatekeeper for my head. I have to be. Far too many folks out there are lookin' to get inside and monkey around with the contents. And most of them don't have my best interests in mind.

Oh, not all studies or polls are for crap, but enough of them are to take each and every one with a chunk of salt (at least till you tear the study or poll apart and see, for yourself, its underlyin' foundations).

I mean, who buys a car without givin' a looksee at what's doin' under the hood?

Also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis
I mean, I've heard about the replication crisis and I agree about taking some things with a grain (or heap) of salt. I have my own anecdotal experience which helps to color my perception and I try to be aware of that. I would still say that the studies mean something rather than nothing, even if we are being careful about them. (Which I get that you're saying as well. Maybe I could have just said "I agree, but I disagreed with the hogwash comment")
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Astro Cat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:37 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:44 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:15 pm ARe you that influenced by what people tell you?

Doesn't seem like it.
Not too much. I listen, assess, then dismiss or accept. As I say in many places, in-forum, I'm the gatekeeper for my head. I have to be. Far too many folks out there are lookin' to get inside and monkey around with the contents. And most of them don't have my best interests in mind.

Oh, not all studies or polls are for crap, but enough of them are to take each and every one with a chunk of salt (at least till you tear the study or poll apart and see, for yourself, its underlyin' foundations).

I mean, who buys a car without givin' a looksee at what's doin' under the hood?

Also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis
I mean, I've heard about the replication crisis and I agree about taking some things with a grain (or heap) of salt. I have my own anecdotal experience which helps to color my perception and I try to be aware of that. I would still say that the studies mean something rather than nothing, even if we are being careful about them. (Which I get that you're saying as well. Maybe I could have just said "I agree, but I disagreed with the hogwash comment")
👍
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Which dummy said that?
I'm confused... 🤔
Someone told him he was not clear or easy to understand or something along those lines. So, he started posting that and asking people to ask for clarification if they did not understand. Not a ridiculous response. He might come to understand how (and if) he is unclear. The extra step could elicit more information.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:42 pm

I'm confused... 🤔
Someone told him he was not clear or easy to understand or something along those lines. So, he started posting that and asking people to ask for clarification if they did not understand. Not a ridiculous response. He might come to understand how (and if) he is unclear. The extra step could elicit more information.
If he ever said anything worth hearing it might be worth the extra work, but he never does.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:42 pm

I'm confused... 🤔
Ah, got it.