Word of the day

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:14 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:04 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:39 pm Tasteless bad comedy.
Speaking of that …

That Cringe White House Video with Dancing Nurses Has a Really Dark Backstory
https://trendingpolitics.com/that-cring ... tory-knab/
I am always astounded by the shit you read.
And amazed by the degree to which you gullibly swallow the garbage you read on 3rd rate infotainment web pages.

"Just Look UP!"
The Dance of the Nurses fits right in with not only your expressed interest in tasteless comedy, but your tasteless and humourous manifestations of personal reactions that you try and pass off as dialogue to the world, as if the world cares about your belly aching, which is one of the reasons why Buddha didn't advise seeking refuge in the world.

However, the Ring Around The Rosie dance has a more honest message than those nurses trained in science who declared ... It's my body, my choice to dance away all your troubles. All you gots to do is dance our tune, and if you don't no soup for you, but you can't say you didn't have a choice, just like all those science-trained nurses had a choice to get fired for not submitting to the jab against their better judgement. They probably figured that the nursing shortage gave them some job security and the Bosses would blink.

Their fundamental assumption, that proved to be wrong, is that their firing is suddenly a matter of health because the nursing shortage is a matter of healthcare.
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Invalidation

There's valid invalidation, and there's invalid invalidation.

Such is language.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 5539
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Word of the day

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:29 pm Invalidation

There's valid invalidation, and there's invalid invalidation.

Such is language.
There is:

valid validation
Invalid validation
valid invalidation
and
invalid invalidation.
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of another day

Post by Walker »

Validation

There’s valid validation, and there’s invalid validation.

Such is language.
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Appropriateness

*

No particular religious affiliation, if any, is required to appreciate this definition of appropriateness.

The dualistic life described below is the road less traveled by those with lively imaginative notions of the way things should be, rather than a clear vision of the way things are.

Ecclesiastes 3, KJV
3 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 6424
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Word of the day

Post by attofishpi »

From my trusty Heinemann English Dictionary (which is falling apart now):-

peculiar (say: pik-yoo-lee-a OR interpret: pec u liar)

strange, odd, or unusual.

or

as in pec_u_liar - eating shit and talking shit.
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Get enough bread and you can get off the shit-sandwich diet.

In a universe where all things are possible, who would choose to eat shit-sandwiches?

A: No one. It's a choiceless diet.
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Flout

Flouting propriety, includes flogging propriety.
Impenitent
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Word of the day

Post by Impenitent »

Walker wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:19 pm Flout

Flouting propriety, includes flogging propriety.
you may flout your flounder, but frown upon the flogging of flounders...

-Imp
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Shepherd

Untenured university professors began pleasing their flocks when students were required to fill out performance evaluations of the untenured teachers, evaluations that affected the untenured teachers’ careers.

The customer is always right, doesn’t apply to the teacher/student relationship. In that relationship, the teacher is always right and the lesson for the student is to understand why.

Those in the West, with The Enlightenment supremacy of individuality, mostly reject that view.

So, when their field of study allowed them to get away with it, the untenured professors put on their best face, what would become their facebook face, and rather than teach truth they taught variations that would get them a good grade from the students. The variations invariably involve politics, personality cults, and they smell like Woke.
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Example:
This is lifted from diogenesesarcastica, who lifted it from someone else, and so on.
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant. One anonymous student, however, wrote the following:

“First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct ... leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting ‘Oh my God.’

" THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A".
:lol:

The lesson was for the other students to understand why that was the only A.
Impenitent
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Word of the day

Post by Impenitent »

splendiferous

-Imp
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Animism

A reverence for all phenomena, including things.
The worship gene causes animism.

Animism dramatized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93PBNHXXWWs

Not bad for Hollywood. Sincere, emotional shouting alerts guardians and elemental forces.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 5539
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Word of the day

Post by Sculptor »

Extermination.
Walker
Posts: 10459
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Word of the day

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:18 am Extermination.
Both entropic daleks and Time Lords move eternally outside of time while manifesting incognito within time, at various times, each to mitigate the effects of the other force.
Post Reply