American Marxism

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: American Marxism

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary wrote: Why should I expect God to help me any more than he helps those who experience the most horrible fates? People meet horrible fates all the time. God clearly doesn't care. I don't subscribe to the view that all those who suffer deserve to suffer. Certainly we mortals are, fallible and make unjust mistakes. So what's God's excuse for the suffering he inflicts or else allows?
IC wrote: Such sage advice: "You're suffering with personal distress and mental illness...so just get over it."
Veggie wrote: I'm not his bloody mother. And you are a disingenuous ****. You carefully left out where I was referring to your horrid little imaginery friend. You are like a vulture. It's quite revolting to see you hovering over him, sniffing at his obvious indecisiveness. Thinking only of yourself and potential heavenly brownie points. Your breath must be horrible. Yuk!
I have been interested in the issue that Gary, perhaps inadvertently, presents to a philosophical community: How to respond to and interchange with someone who self-confesses as mentally ill. I admit to having an interest in therapeutics generally, because my view is that mental illness and mental derangement should be understood as being more or less the norm, except that there are more extreme manifestations of it such as psychosis. I.e. it is man's mind that is pretty deranged, generally speaking.

I am interested in the religious and also the spiritual and the spirtual-psychological relationship to mental illness and mental disorder. So for example there are Christian psychologists and therapists who do strongly advocate for a sick person getting involved in a spiritual relationship with God and choosing to make that a part of a healing processes. There is also, as many know, the approach taken by CG Jung who, through certainly not a Christian (indeed a Christian heretic), was deeply involved in religious ideas and whose psychologics were always concerned for Occidental categories.

His patients were Christians and also Jews (perhaps post-Christians and post-Jews) who discovered that it was necessary to engage with their own selves at a psychological level, or perhaps it is correct to say that if they were to incorporate religious concerns into their healing processes they discovered it was necessary to encounter *God* on an inner plane: something encountered when the Self was encountered or *beckoned to*. When I say *becokned to* I mean that one makes an effort to interact with one's own self in different, non-conventional ways. Like paying attention to one's dreams or examining one's unconscious content, etc.

When I examine what poor Gary writes I discern a man who seems to be locked into specifically Christian categories. And he is very very angry with this Christian God (he also calls him Yahweh) who he sees as the one who *did terrible things to him* or did not stop terrible things from happening to him. So he is locked into a rebellious battle with that *god* and, by extension, with Immanuel Can the forum's resident Christian religious fanatic.

But it must be said that it is not Christianity that ultimately defines what *god* is or isn't, and all spiritual and religious modalities seem to have a therapeutic concern. Even primitive shamanism's core concern is for the well-being of the individual. Buddhism is very concerned with the *deranged mind* and proposes therapeutics to heal the mind or alleviate the mind.

It is true that a Christian fanatic like IC must act like a *vulture* circling the moribund victim. That is how they see the individual soul who has not *come to Christ*. This does fit in not only with Christian psychology but other spiritual modalities as well. The Christian waits in a sense for the conventional self, plagued by neurosis, to run out of fuel and to collapse. That is, a deep personal crisis. Then, there can take place an intervention where the convert has no other option but to choose a very different axis for the self to operate from.

But the same is true in various traditions especially Buddhism and the Vedic religons. Something very similar occurs even in the American Indian peyote ceremony religious community. The conventional self (the developed ego) is discovered to be the disease. And the life badly lived is manifestation of the disease. And it is that self that has to be transcended. Take even the 12-Step Program for drug addicts and alcoholics. They often speak about arriving at a point where their addictions are *unmanageable* and they have to *let go and let God*. I've spoken to many people who have had addiction issues and have resorted to the 12-Step Program and they also describe a long and dramatic healing process that involves *their higher power*.

I would take Gary as my Pet Project if the forum would cough up the 10 grand I generally get when I take on a really really stubborn case. But just imagine him after he undergoes the treatment! Can you selfish assholes part with a few hundred dollars each?!? I gUaRanTee results. As a matter of evident fact please note that since I started remotely blessing Gary's Meds there has been a marked improvement. He's limiting abuse of the wang-dang and that, at least, is a plus! So there's that ...

C'mon people! What you pay for those uptown coffee drinks could be channeled to curing a really tough case!
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:11 pm IC wrote: Such sage advice: "You're suffering with personal distress and mental illness...so just get over it."
I recognize this as a quotation when I was referring to Gary's own worldview position, and its own logical consequences, not to anything I would advise.

So how about we stop misrepresenting, and get back to the real topic here? It's "American Marxism," you'll note...not "AJ's Therapy and Smokescreen Show."
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:33 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:11 pm IC wrote: Such sage advice: "You're suffering with personal distress and mental illness...so just get over it."
I recognize this as a quotation when I was referring to Gary's own worldview position, and its own logical consequences, not to anything I would advise.

So how about we stop misrepresenting, and get back to the real topic here? It's "American Marxism," you'll note...not "AJ's Therapy and Smokescreen Show."
If I am not mistaken your quote ("such sage advice*) was your paraphrase of what you imagine Veggie to be saying to Gary. I did not see it as referring to Gary's *worldview* which has nothing to do with his self-declared mental illness. Mental illness is generally understood to be something for which the sufferer has limited power over. Therefore they require *special treatment*.

Since Gary continually turns topical conversations into his own therapy sessions I don't see it as irrelevant to make a comment about how mental illness might benefit from spiritual modalities. And I admit to theorizing how a *sick society* manages, if it does manage, to return to normalcy.

Frankly, though I do not yet have clarity about it, I regard contemporary society as suffering from mental derangement. You will have noted that I've been influenced by CG Jung and especially his essay After the Catastrophe where he discusses the aftermath of the realization of what Nazism did to Europe. So I try to imagine myself in the future looking back over this period of accelerating nuttiness.

I am not at all opposed to including some level of psychological analysis in an examination of what is going on in our present. And since I see your fanaticism as a psychological manifestation of *disease* and not the snow white goodness you portray your Christian position as being, you also can be examined through psychological lenses. In your own way you are as batty as the March Hare.

What *American Marxism* is, I mean what it really is, is an entire slew of things all jumbled together. On the one hand there are the grand theorists but on the other there are, let's say, the victims of the ideology. Those who come under the influence of *Wokism* without realizing how they have become infected.

So if you don't mind I think I will go on talking about what I want to talk about in any particular context. That is if you do not mind.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:05 pm ...I have been interested in the issue that Gary, perhaps inadvertently, presents to a philosophical community: How to respond to and interchange with someone who self-confesses as mentally ill. ...
existentially of course...

-Imp
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:05 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:33 pm

If I am not mistaken your quote ("such sage advice*) was your paraphrase of what you imagine Veggie to be saying to Gary.
Could have been. Either way, it's not honest to represent it as my instruction to Gary. My worldview does not incorporate that attitude at all.
I don't see it as irrelevant to make a comment about how mental illness might benefit from spiritual modalities.
The polite thing to do is to start your own thread. This is the "American Marxism" thread.

But you knew that.
So if you don't mind I think I will go on talking about what I want to talk about in any particular context. That is if you do not mind.
I mind. Others mind. So does everybody else who is interested in the thread topic, and doesn't want to have it hijacked.
What *American Marxism* is, I mean what it really is, is an entire slew of things all jumbled together. On the one hand there are the grand theorists but on the other there are, let's say, the victims of the ideology. Those who come under the influence of *Wokism* without realizing how they have become infected.
That's better. Now we're topical again.

The Woke formula is not actually all that complicated, though.

Take a bunch of white, privileged, spoiled liberals in questionable mental condition. Add some "persons of colour" who can be convinced that despite living in the most envied, free and prosperous country in the world, and the only one with "affirmative action," that they are somehow capable of making a case for their own victimization, and thus of bilking people out of some kind of reparation. Add as many sexual deviants as you can convince to that the new movement will serve their interests, and a few other such complaining minorities, such as the disabled, the fat and the merely lazy. Add Marxist ideology...newly failed from its latest social-experiment-gone-bad, and use a cultural version of it to mobilize these mobs of self-interested individuals to destroy the society in which they live, and open up space for a manipulative elite to take control of everything.

That's a simple formula. But apparently, it's all that's necessary. Nothing more sophisticated need be involved.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:49 pm The polite thing to do is to start your own thread. This is the "American Marxism" thread.
I do not aspire to politeness and your insinuation that I would is deeply offensive.
Either way, it's not honest to represent it as my instruction to Gary.
It was your ironic paraphrasing of what you imagine to be Veggie’s position vis-a-vis Gary. Clear now?
That's better. Now we're topical again.
!%!%# }#!!£* !@}^%%\!!

(If you want a translation just ask — but with Christianly politeness.)
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:41 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:49 pm The polite thing to do is to start your own thread. This is the "American Marxism" thread.
I do not aspire to politeness and your insinuation that I would is deeply offensive.
Well, you hit the mark, then: you weren't polite at all.
Either way, it's not honest to represent it as my instruction to Gary.
It was your ironic paraphrasing of what you imagine to be Veggie’s position vis-a-vis Gary. Clear now?
Now? Yes. Earlier? Deceptively ambiguous.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

If anyone is going to insult, please do it politely. Knee jerk reactions hardly show the same methodical cunning and sadism.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:26 pm Well, you hit the mark, then: you weren't polite at all.
How dare you insinuate that I would desire to be polite! I am anti-politeness amplified many many times over. Are you deliberately trying to insult me?!
Now? Yes. Earlier? Deceptively ambiguous.
Absolutely not. You misread. I have never seen you exhibit anything like the deliberate cruelty that I regularly inflict on him through sheer malicious joy! I've seen you express a bit of impatience ut that is as far as it goes.

My wickedness has no bottom.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:51 pm My wickedness has no bottom.
Does the end justify the means? How far are you willing to go to accomplish your "therapeutic" goal? And are you sure it's a goal worthy of pursuing?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Those are $50.00 questions Gary. The total is $150.00

Pay to play.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:39 am Those are $50.00 questions Gary. The total is $150.00

Pay to play.
Sorry. I've got important bills to help my mom with. Keeping the house after Dad passed is my first priority. However, thank you for your concern and effort. It was very noble of you. But there is only one who can save me and that is God, if there is a God and God so chooses. If not, then it might be said that I will die on a hill, but not "God's hill". Just a hill. A hill of beings... (edit: because that is all the world would amount to if that is the case)

¯\_(*_*)_/¯
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

It wouldn't amount to a hill of beans, Gary, not a hill of beings. Stop tryna be clever and switch up traditionally accepted colloquial phrasing and figures of speech.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:17 pm It wouldn't amount to a hill of beans, Gary, not a hill of beings. Stop tryna be clever and switch up traditionally accepted colloquial phrasing and figures of speech.
Sorry. I apologize. I will try to be something other than "clever" next time.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

The only way to be a genuine marxist is to have the same insights and ideas before u ever discover who Marx, Karl is. If you've done that, then u understand what marx was on about... and you're not just a fashion marxist like much of the left today. U gotta be working class and u gotta live the grind before any of this starts to look interesting, important and odd. Odd that someone else was talking about exactly this situation Joe's in right now, and why. I need to tell him about Marx.

That kind of affinity right there is needed between the protagonist proletarian class and the material content of marx.

And if u do live the grind and are happy, u get by, etc., well you're too easily amused and are working way more than u need to be to generate the same wealth that u now generate for twice the labor.

If u are one of these meatloaves and still think capitalism is doin u a great job as u sit at home after a grueling eight hour day at work and post anti-marx memes at a philosophy forum from the basement computer, then u deserve to be thumped in the head. Bro u don't even deserve any argument. It's some kind of weird mystical inner child-tryna-be-a-man thing where just for the sake of the pretense of complete independence from anything that is an authoritarian giver archetype, they defy government. The government as the father... the last thing to be overcome; one gains independence from the father when they are independent of government, the symbol of the father's authoritarian control.

It's all so bizarre the way these guys think. Bro if u work all day and have no practical prospects of that ever changing until u retire and start receiving your measely social security, marxism is the most important, most relevant philosophy available to u if u have any ambition.

The question again is, if there were a way to increase your net profit and lower your net labor by changing some stuff around that wouldn't hurt anything, why wouldn't u be innerested innit?