Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

As I said Atto, a critique such as I offered is taken by you as an attack on your very self. Naturally, it must be resisted and opposed. Note that I strongly suspected that such a reaction would result, leading to enmity. For that reason I asked permission.

The content of my post was sound, by and large. I don’t think you addressed the content there, and I certainly don’t want to argue with or against your subjective self.
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:17 pmAnother mistake has two aspects. One, that you do not understand, or seem not to understand, that human being is determined by having and using language. Knowledge is deeply associated with and wedded to language.
That which is growing the green grass and the trees which oxygenates your life, never read a book in it's entire life. Trees also store carbon dioxide in their fibers helping to clean the air and reduce the negative effects that this CO2 could have had on our environment.

I reckon you couldn't do that could you?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:27 pm As I said Atto, a critique such as I offered is taken by you as an attack on your very self. Naturally, it must be resisted and opposed. Note that I strongly suspected that such a reaction would result, leading to enmity. For that reason I asked permission.

The content of my post was sound, by and large. I don’t think you addressed the content there, and I certainly don’t want to argue with or against your subjective self.
Listen to yourself, you can't SELF- ANALYSE.

You attacked Harbal and myself, and I played the game of chess to simply out logic the reasoning behind your attacks.

There is no enmity here.

Your content wasn't sound. I pointed out the flaws in your opinion of myself and Harbal...but more importantly, I pointed out the flaws in you and your capacity to reason.

Dude, I still respect ya. You just gotta Ys up.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

There is a general anti-intellectual movement that becomes seductively attractive as an alternative to the demands of intellectual work. My impression of the general gobbledegook that you profess, DAM, is that you work in the arena. However, is true indeed that growing grass, the air, stars, and the even the Australian grey headed flying fox, never read a book. Astute observation snd unassailable at that. But humans, and human being, is what it is through language.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

R U talking to me? ..or chewing a brick. :wink:

..or talking to DAM?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:38 pm
Your content wasn't sound. I pointed out the flaws in your opinion of myself and Harbal.
I don't know about you, atto, but his approval would concern me a lot more than his criticism does.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:38 pm You attacked Harbal and myself, and I played the game of chess to simply out logic the reasoning behind your attacks.
No Atto. My critique originates in other motives. Attack of a person and their subjectivity, their self, is not the important element. But a larger social and cultural critique is.

There is nothing that can be gained through taking things personally (though it is natural that this does happen), but a great deal that can be gained by engaging impersonally.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:45 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:38 pm
Your content wasn't sound. I pointed out the flaws in your opinion of myself and Harbal.
I don't know about you, atto, but his approval would concern me a lot more than his criticism does.
I suppose you could look at it that way. :)

I honestly like the guy, but he's poor at actual debating as he operates in a similar way to IC - where everything I state that refutes his (where clearly he hasn't considered the LOGIC of what he is saying) - he then OMITS!!

Such that one is forever left out of context and out of words - but one has to keep copying and pasting from past statements (*that's called being a coward or kunt depending on how u look at, darn, could even be both).

I mean, look at this NEW drivel that I have to deal with:-

No Atto. My critique originates in other motives. Attack of a person and their subjectivity, their self, is not the important element. But a larger social and cultural critique is.

There is nothing that can be gained through taking things personally (though it is natural that this does happen), but a great deal that can be gained by engaging impersonally.

He doesn't see what a hypocrite he is being!
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:44 pm R U talking to me? ..or chewing a brick. :wink:

..or talking to DAM?
Mentioning DAM by name, yes, my comment was directed generally to her. But more to general anti-intellectual trends operating in our culture.

I am gathering that you, Harbal and DAM share some characteristics which are part-and-parcel of the time we are in. I don’t know of the same critique of “subjectivity” could be extended without a fuller description.

In that sense you three interest me a great deal. Reaction, opposition, especially when it is manifest as childish pique is common.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:59 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:44 pm R U talking to me? ..or chewing a brick. :wink:

..or talking to DAM?
Mentioning DAM by name, yes, my comment was directed generally to her. But more to general anti-intellectual trends operating in our culture.

I am gathering that you, Harbal and DAM share some characteristics which are part-and-parcel of the time we are in. I don’t know of the same critique of “subjectivity” could be extended without a fuller description.

In that sense you three interest me a great deal. Reaction, opposition, especially when it is manifest as childish pique is common.
There ya go again.. getting personal attacks in, putting us ALL in the same camp.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Let's address each statement:-
Alexis Jacobi wrote:You begin with a substantial error, Atto. A misunderstanding (a bad understanding). In our culture, like it or not, to be an *intellectual* is to be involved with and informed by the ideas of others. And one gets those ideas exclusively through reading. There is no way around this. It is simply a fact.
A ridiculous statement Jacobi, note the word exclusively as your failing here. Do I need to explain Y?

I read books on science, history of science, some philosophy, books on technology - BUT and here is the important caveat, that one DOES NOT soley, exclusively need to read books for intellectual capacity.

I love documentaries on that TV thingy. - Intellectual information can come in many ways these days.

DO U SEE THE FLAW IN YOUR STATEMENT?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Not in the same camp, but in one that has related characteristics. The distinction is important.
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

..that we haven't read the same books as you. :roll:
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

I see tha point that you are trying to make Atto, yes, and in my initial post did not negate that there are many ways to exist and also to learn and know. So my suggestion is that you reread what I did write and more fairly and less reactively consider the content.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:09 pm ..that we haven't read the same books as you. :roll:
If you were interested solely in deliberate misunderstanding and developing a polemic you could reduce what I have said to that. But you’d miss the more important points, and their validity, if you did that.