Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:15 pm
Sounds like you're more accepting of homosexuality than American political Christianity is in general. Sounds like you would thus be supporting more acceptance from your Christian peers in that regard.
It might seem that I “am a Christian” but that is not quite so. Before I became interested in Catholicism I’d already accepted, mostly, another “metaphysical picture” — that presented in the Bhagavad Gita and Vedanta speaking generally.

It is also a metaphysical system with substantial roots in the Medieval era.

I explore old school Catholicism as a sort of serious hobby. But by hobby I do not mean superficially.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:10 pm
My own position is that “homosexuality must be tolerated”
I don't agree, Alexis, you could always just say no.
it should not be encouraged
When it comes to sex, I don't imagine homosexuals need encouraging any more that heterosexuals do; they seem equally enthusiastic to me.
My preference would be if homosexuals themselves took a deliberate “second rung” of their own accord. Their unions are not equal (but I operate within an older metaphysics ).
Yes, but when you feel like a good shag, metaphysics is probably not uppermost in your mind.
I simply notice that one level of deviance leads inevitably to another.
As long as you're not hurting anyone, there's no reason to feel bad about it, Alexis.
As you might imagine I am opposed to excessive public displays such as Pride marches.
Has it ever occurred to you not to watch? :?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

As you might imagine I am opposed to excessive public displays such as Pride marches.
Then he will be labelled as homophobic.

I remember when 'homophobic' just meant harassing and beating up gays. Now it's applied when you're not actively celebrating homosexuality.

We live at a time of enforced enthusiasm.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:37 pm

I remember when 'homophobic' just meant harassing and beating up gays. Now it's applied when you're not actively celebrating homosexuality.

You neither have to celebrate nor condemn it, and I don't see how you could be forced to do either; at least not where I live. Why would anyone want to interfere with who consenting adults choose to have sex with?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

You neither have to celebrate nor condemn it, and I don't see how you could be forced to do either; at least not where I live.
Pride Month starts tomorrow.

Maybe you don't have that in Yorkshire.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:58 pm
You neither have to celebrate nor condemn it, and I don't see how you could be forced to do either; at least not where I live.

I honestly don't know, and that's my point.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Ahh, the sheltered life.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:02 pm Ahh, the sheltered life.
Is that the same thing as not taking any notice of things that don't interest me?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:10 pm As you might imagine I am opposed to excessive public displays such as Pride marches. (I grew up just north of San Francisco I should add).
Esteemed Harbal, my preference would be that these displays were not allowed. Meaning that citizens would not permit it, would not have permitted it in the first place. The first order of resistance is inside a given person, as a moral or ethical decision. However, I sm aware that the social culture changed (was changed) through “social engineering“.

The result of this now extends far beyond mere gay rights and shows up in a general social-sexual manifestation: sexual dysphoria, pedophilia, really a whole range of what I see as “deviancies”.

I just note these things. I have no recommendations. Social movements like this will go to their natural ends I guess. I do not think it is at all a good end, myself.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:01 pm
phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:58 pm

I honestly don't know, and that's my point.
Holy crap Harbal — it’s this coming Saturday.

Stay inside! Do not answer the door! If you must go to the market this is one day where it is a-ok to go in drag.

For safety’s sake.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:19 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:10 pm As you might imagine I am opposed to excessive public displays such as Pride marches. (I grew up just north of San Francisco I should add).
Esteemed Harbal, my preference would be that these displays were not allowed. Meaning that citizens would not permit it, would not have permitted it in the first place.
Gay people pay taxes, don't they? Why shouldn't they have the same rights as any other members of society. I was indifferent to "Pride marches", but I suddenly now find myself being all for them. 8)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:23 pm
Holy crap Harbal
I assume this is in reference to the thread topic of Christianity, Alexis.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

I remember when 'homophobic' just meant harassing and beating up gays. Now it's applied when you're not actively celebrating faith.

Just out of curiosity, this being the Christianity thread, are your own views on homosexually more or less embedded in the Christian faith?

Or not embedded in it [or in religion itself] at all?

Or is that still a taboo subject? Since I've never really been able to pin you down regarding the source of your own rendition of objective morality.

I agree that arguments can be made from both ends of the political spectrum regarding where to draw the line sexually. But once religion is brought into it that changes everything. With God, you are Judged...Judged such that your behaviors on this side of the grave can have dire consequences for you on the other side of it.

For example, you can burn in Hell for all of eternity some Christians insist.

Google "christianity, homosexual and hell", however, and, as with so many other conflicting goods -- sins -- there are conflicting assessments regarding what is really true: https://www.google.com/search?q=christi ... s-wiz-serp

And while some might insist on calling another homophobic for not actively supporting gay rights or gay marriage, or transgenders, it really comes down to how they actually act out their convictions. What will they tolerate or not tolerate among those around them? How will they react to their children coming out as gay? Will they stop drinking Budweiser or stop shopping at Target? Will we criticize friends and family members that do? Will they punish them?

Will they even consider that my own assessment here -- value judgments being rooted existentially in dasein -- might actually be applicable to them too?
Last edited by iambiguous on Wed May 31, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

iambiguous wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:33 pm

I remember when 'homophobic' just meant harassing and beating up gays. Now it's applied when you're not actively celebrating faith.

Just out of curiosity, this being the Christianity thread, are your own views on Homosexually more or less embedded in the Christian denomination?

Or is that still a taboo subject? Since I've never really been able to pin you down regarding the source of your own rendition of objective morality.

I agree that arguments can be made from both ends of the political spectrum regarding where to draw the line sexually. But once religion is brought into it that changes everything. With God, you are Judged...Judged such that your behaviors on this side of the grave can have dire consequences for you on the other side of it.

Google "christianity, homosexual and hell", however, and, as with so many other conflicting goods -- sins -- there are conflicting assessments regarding what is really true: https://www.google.com/search?q=christi ... s-wiz-serp

And while some might insist on calling another homophobic for not actively supporting gay rights or gay marriage, or transgenders, it really comes down to how they actually act out their convictions. What will they tolerate or not tolerate among those around them? How will they react to their children coming out as gay? Will they stop drinking Budweiser or stop shopping art Target? Will we criticize friends and family members that do? Will they punish them?

Will they even consider that my own assessment here -- value judgments being rooted existentially in dasein -- might actually be applicable to them too?
Please do not alter what I wrote.

Thank you for your cooperation.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:35 pm
Please do not alter what I wrote.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Okay...

Just out of curiosity, this being the Christianity thread, are your own views on homosexually more or less embedded in the Christian faith?

And while some might insist on calling another homophobic for not actively supporting gay rights or gay marriage, or transgenders, it really comes down to how they actually act out their convictions. What will they tolerate or not tolerate among those around them? How will they react to their children coming out as gay? Will they stop drinking Budweiser or stop shopping at Target? Will we criticize friends and family members that do? Will they punish them?